Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 04, 2003, 11:21 PM
Registered boozer
davis, ca.
Joined Sep 2002
493 Posts
best 4 stroke for a newbie?

i have been very into the electrics for a while now. i have had 2 stints with gas. 1st- i bought a sig somethin extra kit and a tower .46 engine. i folowed the directions to the letter. i use work instructions and prints everyday with my job, so believe me when i say i followed them. the engine would not stay running and went through glow plugs like crazy. i eventually found a thread discussing how much they suck and have air leak problems. i never flew it and ended up selling them both on ebay, sad. 2nd- i bought a ripmax alienator and an ap .15 engine. that worked out pretty well. the plane flew good. i dont think i ever achieved max rpm for some reason. i read about some others having similar problems. perhaps i didnt ever really break it in. less than a dozen flights. both experiences were very messy and not very much fun. well, now im ready to try again. this time im going to get a four stroke. i wouild like to know of any good, reliable, powerful four strokes. something a beginner is likely to be successful with. i will buy a plane to fit the engine, but want a 40-60 size plane. im also a tightwad. ive seen a few magnums and thunder tigers at tower for less than 200 bucks. are those ant good? if not what would any of you guys suggest? thanks for the help-cd
corndog is offline Find More Posts by corndog
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2003, 08:38 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
If you didn't have much success with 2-strokes, you're unlikely to fare better with 4-strokes.

4-strokes have more things to go wrong and are more sensitive to needle settings. They're also more expensive and less powerful. In general, in this game you get what you pay for. Cheap 2-strokes and cheap 4-strokes will cause you grief.

To run a 2-stroke successfully, there are some things you need to know that are not in the instructions. Firstly, many cheap engines are built carelessly and not in a clean environment. First thing you need to do is strip them down and flush out all the swarf that will almost certainly be in the crankcase. This is one cause of blowing glow plugs in a new motor.

The other main causes of blowing plugs are: Running them too lean (which wrecks them quite quickly) or overcompression which means you need to add an extra head shim. Most inexperienced modellers run their motors too lean. It take experience to set them properly.

The other problem you need to know how to solve is getting rid of air leaks. There is some discussion around here about this problem on various motors.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Oct 05, 2003, 03:08 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,138 Posts
I would go with an OS 52, or a 70 if you want to overpower a 40 size model.IMHO OS 4 strokes run more reliably and are easier to adjust than Saitos.Saitos also like higher nitro fuel than OS.You might also consider Enya,which are high quality good running engines that don't get much publicity for some reason.My only experience with an Enya 4 stroke engine is running a 1.20 on the bench,where it ran great. The YS engines are powerful and run great,but might be too complicated for beginner use.I would steer clear of the "less expensive" 4 strokes.

Oh,and like Dave said,run it rich,the vast majority of engine problems come from running too lean.

Caution:All the above is my opinion,formed from my experiences.I'm sure everyone doesn't agree.
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Oct 05, 2003, 09:23 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Caution:All the above is my opinion,formed from my experiences.I'm sure everyone doesn't agree.
That of course goes for all the "opinions" posted on this discussion board. Caveat emptor!
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Nov 02, 2003, 12:29 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
I used to be a 2-stroke junkie right up till I got a 4-stroke, I have OS YS and a magnum and all of them run well but the YS is a bit complex to set up and more apt to issues with fuel systems so I would not recomend them as the first 4-stroke, However one of the less exspensive ones is the Magnum and Mine and the guys at the club all will say that they are trouble free and just as easy to tune as a 2-stroke, Heck mine gives me less grief than some of my 2-strokes and always starts on the first flip.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Nov 04, 2003, 11:09 PM
gravity-challenged
Victor, Idaho
Joined Sep 2003
136 Posts
Get a Thunder Tiger .46 2stroke and learn to adjust it so when the plane is held with the nose straight up and the throttle wide open, the engine continues to run strong without sagging. Otherwise it's too lean.
Why the Thunder Tiger? Because it's one of the best quality-per-dollar deals around.
Why a .46? Because really small engines are fussier and really big ones are expensive and more deadly. 46's provide strong power for any .40-sized airplane, run great, and don't cost too much.
Why the 2stroke? Because they are typically ABC construction which tolerates poor adjustment (learner's mistakes) better than the ringed construction 4strokes have. It's much easier to ruin a 4stroke quickly by leaning it out. Get experienced with a 2stroke before investing in a 4stroke.
swooper is offline Find More Posts by swooper
Old Nov 05, 2003, 01:48 PM
northamptonshire
Joined Nov 2003
6 Posts
i would completly dissagree with a thunder tiger engine i think they are the most rubbish engine on the market i btought one for my ripmax trainer 40 when i first started i had no end of trouble with it like not enough power and kept on dead sticking i put 3 planes into the ground because of my thunder tiger engine. if you have the money pay a few quid extra and get an irvine or os theyre great
flyingflying60 is offline Find More Posts by flyingflying60
Old Nov 06, 2003, 03:51 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
See the following post for my recomendation. My opinion is the same for the entire range of O.S. 4-cycle engines..... except the .30. I've never owned that one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85#post1466385

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:00 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
79 Posts
I also have an OPINION! I own a magnum .52 four stroke and it runs great! I also have saitos and yes they do like more nitro but they are no harder to adjust than an os and they are More reliable in my club. Almost all of the fourstroke guys in my club run either magnum four strokes or saito's and just a few O.S I think this one engine is so much better thing is getting out of hand. Break it in right and it wil run fine.
rceagle1a is offline Find More Posts by rceagle1a
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:27 PM
Awsome 2.5D Pilot.
Foxfire Village, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,436 Posts
I would like to try Magnum engines but I have a concern. The manuals specify fuels with castor oil. All that's available here is synthetic. Any comments would be appreciated.
bigbobed is online now Find More Posts by bigbobed
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Last summer one of my flying buddies showed up to the field with a Magnum .91 4-cycle. We were both thinking as we watched him fly, that it didn't seem to be making as much power as the plane (Venture 60) needed. On the ground we tached the engine and found my O.S. .70 Surpass II would spin the same prop APC 14x6
at the same RPM. Same fuel....same plug...same day...FWIW.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:02 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,138 Posts
Quote:
I think this one engine is so much better thing is getting out of hand.

I don't understand this statement.I see several recommendations from different people.You also gave yours.Just because more of the people here prefer OS, or Saito, means anything is getting out of hand.

bigbobed,
I would run the Magnum on straight synthetic fuel.Just make sure to run a little rich and you'll have no problems.OS recommends fuel with castor and/or synthetic oil.Saito does not recommend all castor fuels.Castor/synthetic blends are recommended.YS is the same as OS.All Castor,or all synthetic,or a blend is OK.

I personally hate Castor oil as it gunks up engines and turns them all brown.I always make sure my fuel has zero Castor,and I never have engine problems,and have nice clean engines too.That's a topic for another thread though,as I'm sure that would stir up quite a debate also.
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Jul 25, 2004, 04:10 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2003
37 Posts
I have a thunder tiger pro 46 and have had absolutly no problems with it. In fact my opinion of them is very good. It started at forth flick by hand when running in and for tuning. Since then it has been easy to start and 100% reliable. It has tonnes of grunt and is my engine of choice for 40 sized sport planes. I can only assune that "flyingflying60" got a dud engine. I didn't, and consequently have and will buy them again.
mattkillkill is offline Find More Posts by mattkillkill
Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:40 PM
Northampton Sywell, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflying60
i would completly dissagree with a thunder tiger engine i think they are the most rubbish engine on the market i btought one for my ripmax trainer 40 when i first started i had no end of trouble with it like not enough power and kept on dead sticking i put 3 planes into the ground because of my thunder tiger engine. if you have the money pay a few quid extra and get an irvine or os theyre great
Come over to the NVA field (Olney) and I'll show you how to set it up :-)
rayfisher is offline Find More Posts by rayfisher
Old Jul 27, 2004, 03:15 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
See the following post for my recomendation. My opinion is the same for the entire range of O.S. 4-cycle engines..... except the .30. I've never owned that one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...85#post1466385

Wiz
Mike, have you owned the O.S. 48 Surpass? I've had a lot of trouble with the one I have getting it to stay running through an entire flight. It seems to be hypersensitive to mixture. Makes great power when it's running right but changes drasticly during the course of a flight. I usually have to land and retune it about 3 times per tank. Needle valve seems to have kind of a sloppy fit and I had to put a piece of fuel tubing over it to seal the air leaks. Any suggestions on making this engine run consistently?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald