HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Discussion
Hobbypartz Solar Servos

I have some Hobbypartz Solar Servos (on order) and was wondering if anyone else had some or if they recognize what brand they might be modeled after?

I know their EXI servos are rebranded Batan servos but this looks much different.

Edit, ok, these are rebranded Batan servos, Just like the EXI line.
But these are higher quality.
Preliminary review:
Solar Servo Review

I am VERY impressed at the centering. I shot some video comparing them to cooresponding Hitec servos and the Solar servos did just as well or better. Video comming in the next 48 hours.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Jan 07, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update after getting them in.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Not watchin from the sideline
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Are they any good?
Yeaman is offline Find More Posts by Yeaman
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:00 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeaman View Post
Are they any good?
Sorry, I meant to say they are on order (note Edit above)
thx
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
These seem to have a little more variety.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
ooh, I hadn't see that there, I guess my brain just turned off the stuff with in parenthesis. Makes sense now... Well if you could tell me how they preform, when you get around to testing them. It would be appreciated.

Derek
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:05 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
The servo cases look the same as a number of other brand names, such as some from Hobby King. The only way to know about them is to get some and use them and see what happens.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I got in some of the Solar Servos I talked about that are usable in the EXI 500.
Here is a preliminary review of them. The review page will have a video I shot of the centering soon.
Solar Servo Review
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:15 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Video is up on the page linked in post #7 including timestamps of when I demonstrate centering of a micro, mini and standard.
I compared the micro and mini to hitec digitals.
Last edited by Melnic; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
The question... Can they be trusted in a 2000 bird? That is the question. Thanks for the centering video.
tele1974 is online now Find More Posts by tele1974
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Solar Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
The question... Can they be trusted in a 2000 bird? That is the question. Thanks for the centering video.
I'm putting together a 100cc Yak SP-55M. I'm going to try a D770 High Voltage, Low Profile, .06sec@7.4v, Digital, Metal Gear, 47g servo for the throttle.

I'll give it a good bench testing and give it a couple of test flights in another plane before I put in the Yak.

On paper they look solid, posted videos seem good also.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
ive heard good about solar servos
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
ive heard good about solar servos
Received my D770 yesterday and did a quick check to make sure the servo is working. It seems very quick, returns to center and is quiet for a digital servo.

It comes with two servo arms and a screw, no mounting hardware included.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
I'm putting together a 100cc Yak SP-55M. I'm going to try a D770 High Voltage, Low Profile, .06sec@7.4v, Digital, Metal Gear, 47g servo for the throttle.

I'll give it a good bench testing and give it a couple of test flights in another plane before I put in the Yak.

On paper they look solid, posted videos seem good also.
Wow, it scares me to see people using unknown brand servos in a giant scale 100cc engine powered airplane. But using it on the throttle is likely safe though. But then many years ago, I had a throttle servo failure, except the throttle was open partially, so that I didn't have enough power to really fly, but had a little too much to land Ok too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Wow, it scares me to see people using unknown brand servos in a giant scale 100cc engine powered airplane. But using it on the throttle is likely safe though. But then many years ago, I had a throttle servo failure, except the throttle was open partially, so that I didn't have enough power to really fly, but had a little too much to land Ok too.
I understand for sure. However everything was an unknown at some point in time. Too bad price isn't a good indicator of quality; in this hobby it seems like you get what you get, not you get what you pay for.

The Solar servo will be well tested before it gets throttle duty. Withstanding the vibration, it's about as easy of an application for a servo as you can get. I will be setting up the plane with a ignition kill switch on the TX. If something happens (throttle stuck wide open) I'll be able to stop the engine.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Many years ago, we used to take a older beater plane, and put each new servo on the rudder. Then we'd fly the plane for a few flights and see how the servo behaved. After than the servo could graduate to some other control surface in the plane. After a number of flights and you were confident the servos were OK, then you could put them in the nice plane you were building up.

The servos today are much different and better than the old ones way back then. The feedback potentiomers in the new servos are so much better and much longer lasting too. I remember having to clean the feedback pots on my servos from time to time to get the servos to behave good again. You don't have to do that anymore.

But with the new low cost servos, they have to cut costs all across the board to sell them so cheap. So it leaves one to wonder how they did it though.
RCG Plus Member