Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:38 PM
Gets shakes if no FPV in 24hrs
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Discussion
Oops, T-Rex fell out of the sky and into a LAKE! Video of Crash!

It was my first flight of the day and about 1:30 into the flight I lost control and went in hard. I didn't think I was flying over the lake, all I kept telling myself was, please, please, tell me that last image I saw wasn't the surface of the water, but it was!!! I still don't know what happened. All I can tell you is that when I got to the spot where I thought it went down I found nothing. I looked all around the lake shore but nothing, and then I spotted a broken main blade floating on the surface of the water. I realized then it was definitely in the water. I watched the wind blow the broken main blade across the water's surface for a min. I then made a rough estimate of where I thought the blade was 20 minutes ago. I went to that spot, undressed, and jumped into the lake. I eventually found it and recovered it! It was about 3-4 feet down and 10 feet out into the water. Don't ask me how I spotted it, I saw a light colored object and reached down and pulled up the helicopter!!! The low battery alarm was beeping and you could hear a sizzling sound. I quickly unplugged everything. I'm still drying out all of the electronics. Not sure how bad the damage is yet; I'm optimistic that most of the electronics are salvageable. The helicopter only suffered broken main blade, bent fly bar, and maybe the main shaft? I haven't gotten that far into the repairs yet. The only electronics that I can say are gone for sure is the ESC, it had a complete meltdown. It was in the water for a good 20 minutes before I found it. All I can say is that I'm glad I got it back. Can you imagine coming home with nothing?

Here is the video, watch the last few frames and you'll see the surface of the water.

FPV T-Rex 450 helicopter crash into lake (1 min 48 sec)
jarod120 is offline Find More Posts by jarod120
Last edited by jarod120; Jan 08, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2008
299 Posts
Wow well done for getting it back. Brrrr bet you were cold!
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
I've always debated about removing the canopy to save weight. Thank god I didn't. That was the only thing I barely caught a glimpse of in all of that muck. I don't know if I would have gone home without it? I don't know what I would have done? That floating main blade is really how I located it. Otherwise it was just too much area to cover. I don't know if I should feel lucky or unlucky? Unlucky it happened, but lucky to have gotten it back. Does this really qualify as a close call? It did crash into the water. Whatever, half full, half empty. At least I've got it back. I'm covering all of the electronics in dry white rice after disassembly. In a day or two I'll try and power things up, maybe sooner. Just have to wait and see.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:03 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,106 Posts
Hmm.. 300 yards or so. Any chance you're using 2.4Ghz RC control with unfiltered 1.2-1.3Ghz video?

BTW, stepping through the last few visible frames one at a time, I think you could have gotten
pretty close to where it hit the water. There's some distinct features along the edge of the lake
(two parallel poles) that would have told you where to start.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
From the sound you had a gear failure in the main drive...
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Yes, i was unfiltered. I ordered one a few days ago. Yesterday I flew it a half-mile and back no problems. I'll make sure to use it with a filter going forward.

It doesn't look that bad considering it fell from 400 feet.

Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxToast View Post
From the sound you had a gear failure in the main drive...
That was my first guess as well, but the gears are perfect, the belt is perfect. It was a radio control issue. I lost the link and the motor shut off. Those outrunner motors make a winding sound when you power them off running a high current.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hmm.. 300 yards or so. Any chance you're using 2.4Ghz RC control with unfiltered 1.2-1.3Ghz video?

BTW, stepping through the last few visible frames one at a time, I think you could have gotten
pretty close to where it hit the water. There's some distinct features along the edge of the lake
(two parallel poles) that would have told you where to start.

ian
In hindsight your absoulutey right. It's funny I recognized those same fence poles once I got home and stepped through the last few frames. I had to jump over the barbed wire at that spot. Right after it happened I reviewed the video with my laptop in the glaring sun. I couldn't see that well, but I knew to go to the lake. The rest is history.

I had been contemplating doing a "how to video" for setting up a T-Rex 450 for FPV. I made a change to the camera mount and I introduced some vibrations on that last flight. I'll go back to the old design. Now that I've torn it down I guess this would be a good chance to show you guys how I setup everything.
Last edited by jarod120; Jan 02, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,176 Posts
I'd say "Bravo" for the recovery !! Nothing is worse than coming home empty-handed.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod120 View Post
Yes, i was unfiltered. I ordered one a few days ago. Yesterday I flew it a half-mile and back no problems. I'll make sure to use it with a filter going forward.
This same story has played out *so many times* before, I just can't believe people still
think they can fly this way. I pretty much knew what had happened
when I read the subject of the thread, before opening it. If it was Spektrum gear,
that'd just be icing on the cake.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
I'd say "Bravo" for the recovery !! Nothing is worse than coming home empty-handed.
Amen to that!

Quote:
This same story has played out *so many times* before, I just can't believe people still
think they can fly this way. I pretty much knew what had happened
when I read the subject of the thread, before opening it. If it was Spektrum gear,
that'd just be icing on the cake.

ian
I hope you're correct. I've read reports of harmonic resonance messing up the control link. I would hate to not have a good reason for why this happened.

I've got it all broken down. Only damage I can see so far is main blade, main shaft, fly bar, and ESC.

Dinner anyone?

Serve with rice and enjoy ;-)

The ESC that had a meltdown

Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:55 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,755 Posts
Obviously by the look of it the lake is fresh water yeah?

Strip it all down, rice as you have done then blow dry all the rice residue away and let it sit somewhere warm with air flow for a while and if nothing has short circuited then you should be ok.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,106 Posts
I actually like to wash drowned electronics in distilled water, and then rinse with rubbing
alcohol and let air dry. If it was sitting on the bottom of the lack, it may have picked up some
other contaminants.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Obviously by the look of it the lake is fresh water yeah?

Strip it all down, rice as you have done then blow dry all the rice residue away and let it sit somewhere warm with air flow for a while and if nothing has short circuited then you should be ok.
Yea, it was fresh water, possibly brackish water. I do live in the Everglades. I was thinking about heating up the oven to the lowest setting turning it off and put the bowl of rice in there as it's cooling down from say 200 degrees. It's insulated in the rice, I dont know, maybe on second thought I'll just put it in the sun light for a short time tomorrow.

Quote:
I actually like to wash drowned electronics in distilled water, and then rinse with rubbing
alcohol and let air dry. If it was sitting on the bottom of the lack, it may have picked up some
other contaminants.

ian
I probably would have done that if I'd thought of it. It's a little bit late now. I shook loose each piece to remove as much water as I could before covering with rice. I opened up the cases to the electronics to allow the water to evaporate from any enclosures.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,697 Posts
Quote:
If it was Spektrum gear, that'd just be icing on the cake.

ian
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy