SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Question
Where's a good place to buy foam?

Where's a good place to buy foam,like what's used for wing cores. Maybe thicker?

I tried Home Depot and Lowes and they didn't have it.

When I lived in Orange County Ca. I use to buy foam from Clarks foam. They made it for surfboards. Now I live in Central California. No surf here.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:58 PM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
try a google search, or call your local commercial roofer or a Synthetic stucco company,,they may sell you a few pieces if your story sounds good.. i use eps mostly for my company but have bought other foams through a company in NC, "carpenter foam",, they will ship pieces,,..lol,, tell them jeff sent you from va beach,,,they know me and do buisness visits once twice a year with me for 20yrs. they can cut straight pieces ie plank wings but they need a diff cutter or two guys to cut tappered wings,,,lil expensive verse other companies mentioned on this web site whom also cut and by a robot ...clark foams will may mail/ups what you need,call them. its out there ,,some one wants too sell you foam.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Last edited by flexsphincter; Jan 02, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
Glider Geek!
Escalon, CA
Joined Oct 2004
142 Posts
Eddie...Where in Central California are you? Silverado builidng supply in Ripon, CA and Sacramento, CA can supply expanded bead (virgin bead) in any thinckness you would need.

Shawn
lenci1938e is offline Find More Posts by lenci1938e
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:23 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Hi Eddie! Western building materials up here on Maple and Olive. Easy for you to get to, take 99 to 41 , 41 to 180 East, 180 to cedar, turn right on cedar, second stop light will be Olive, turn right, next stoplight will be Maple, Western building material is on the South East corner. They have " Square Edge " in 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch and " High Load 40" in 1 1/2 inch, well maybe. They are nice people to deal with, and understand if you are an RC modeler! They also have Formica that they sometimes sell cheap because it's damaged or they are going to throw away, they might give to you.

BTW Clark is no longer in Business and Spyderfoam is no longer being made.

Allied in Bakersfield might be another source, Ask Maurice.

Blue Skies..............Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:12 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
Hi Eddie! Western building materials up here on Maple and Olive. Easy for you to get to, take 99 to 41 , 41 to 180 East, 180 to cedar, turn right on cedar, second stop light will be Olive, turn right, next stoplight will be Maple, Western building material is on the South East corner. They have " Square Edge " in 1, 1 1/2 and 2 inch and " High Load 40" in 1 1/2 inch, well maybe. They are nice people to deal with, and understand if you are an RC modeler! They also have Formica that they sometimes sell cheap because it's damaged or they are going to throw away, they might give to you.

BTW Clark is no longer in Business and Spyderfoam is no longer being made.

Allied in Bakersfield might be another source, Ask Maurice.

Blue Skies..............Tim
Thanks guys,

Tim,I new I should have just asked you. Thanks.

I talked to Dennis yesterday. He may be comming down this week or next week and go flying if the weather stays this nice. Why don't you join him if he comes.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,040 Posts
Hi Eddie

If you go to Western you just might get some of that scrap Formica as it makes good wing rib sanding templates, just a thought for the future i'am thinking.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:43 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Eddie

If you go to Western you just might get some of that scrap Formica as it makes good wing rib sanding templates, just a thought for the future i'am thinking.

G Don
Bingo! Hot wire templates, sanding templates and wiper plates for RDS amongst other things!

Blue Skies...............Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:25 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Dow has a phone number: 1-866-583-2583

They can tell you your local distributor. Very helpful when I called
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10