HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
Discussion
Where's a plane like this?

As a certified "Cessnaholic" I've been wanting one that meets the following criteria:
1) Scale (or very near) Cessna 172-182
2) 60" wingspan (+ or - 5" or so)
3) EP or easily converted
4)balsa, ARF, very nicely constructed and detailed

I haven't found anything that meets all of these. Any suggestions?
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUW98&P=7

This one is the closest I've found but it's not going to be very easy to convert it to EP due to problems with battery access - among other things.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Going to be really heavy as well.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
Going to be really heavy as well.

howell
Hmmm...not sure I agree...ought to be able to electrify it for around the same weight as the glow version and the wing loading is only 24.5 oz/sq ft....not bad at all on a larger scale model. One conversion did come out at about 29 oz/sq ft, though. Would be nice to have flaps at those weights, though. The model does look nice and is quite scale, so there is that as a tradeoff for the weight issue. Looks like a dedicated modeler could take a dremel tool to some of the bulkheads and save a few oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

This one is the closest I've found but it's not going to be very easy to convert it to EP due to problems with battery access - among other things.
A 172 would always be hard to arrange a top battery hatch on, due to the shortness of the upper fuse between the windshield and the engine cowl. Looks like you could easily do some surgery on the lower fuse, under the fuel tank compartment and create a battery hatch on the bottom. Would also have to fill in that ugly glow muffler cutout!

This model has been converted successfully a number of times. This is the most detailed thread, but there are others:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nes+cessna+182
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 02, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
Thanks for the link, Thomas. Maybe it could be done. But I'd sure like to find another candidate that was closer to my criteria.

Any other models I'm overlooking?
Last edited by dbc; Jan 02, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:43 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
The 81" Top Flite Cessna is very nice but a good deal larger than what I'd like. The cost goes up fast on electrics this large - not to mention other issues such as portability, etc.