HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:02 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
My CP 1700's have arrived!!!

Guys, my battery packs have arrived!!! Rain is forcasted for tomorrow, but I hope there will be some blue skies.

The battery packs look huge, but they do fit in the Bandit. I check to see where it balances right for the CG.
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
My CP 8 x 1700's are here. (Yeah!!!)

I now have the CP 1700's they are huge, but I didn't know how huge. They measure 47mm x 72mm, they I have them configured. The fit in my Bandit with plenty of room.

I will have to check the CG and see that it balances right with the new battery pack.

I don't know if i'll be able to fly, because rain is forcast. I hope there will be blue skies, so I can fly.

Henry
Last edited by hmhoshi; Oct 29, 2001 at 10:45 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 08:19 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If each cell is 47x72mm, you do NOT have CP1700 cells. CP1700's are the size of 1250SCR cells, about (off the top of my head) 25(dia)x32(len)mm..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 29, 2001, 10:38 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
henry:1.2V, 1700mAh
.90" x 1.34", 1.62oz are the spec's on cp1700's. what is the weight of your cells or pack?.......gregg
Old Oct 29, 2001, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Sorry for all the confusion, I got them configured in two stacks of four. That is why I got the measurements I did. I should have got them configured 5 side by side and 3 length wise on top, oh! well. I am not sure if I should send them back, or just use what I got. They do fit in my Bandit and balance differently, they are just farther back in the fuselage.

Maybe I'll just keep them, so I can give it a test flight.

Henry
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:13 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
hi Henry,

I also have an 8x1700CP pack on its way. there will be no defference in flying performance from my current 8x1250SCR pack as they are both the same size & weight, I'll only have longer flights...

regards, Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:28 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Obed;

Thanks for the info, just hope the rain stops and the conditions improve. Fall has really beginning to set in.

I don't how much snow will fall this winter, I'll have to try my hand at skiing and snowboarding. I may have to learn it all over again, because of my stroke. At least I am flying.

By the way, I just ordered a Bludartar Texas Twister. It is a HLG than has been reinforced, so it can handle a discus launch.

How is your Bandit flying, and are you getting more use to it? I still come in a little hot, when the wind changes directions and I don't deploy my spoilers. If the wind is blowing from the normal direction I am Ok!, but when changes direction I lose confidence. All I have to do is have trust in my abilities and trust in what the Bandit can do. Right?

Haven't tried the 1700's, I really am anxious to do so.

Henry
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:40 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
hi Henry,

I suppose your Bandit will fly faster with the new heavier pack but nothing to worry about, it still keep its excellent flying charectaristics.

as for the spoilerons, I deploy them only when I'm about 4 meters up and on final approach, I start feeding than some up elevator but keeping the air speed UP. usually the landings are very easy and the tail meets the ground before the nose. landings are a little fast but I suppose its the way it was meant to be...

I wish we could all meet & fly our Bandits togather...

regards, Oded.
Old Oct 30, 2001, 02:59 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Obed;

As of yet, I have not quite mastered the use of spoilers yet. There are some landings where I come in perfect, then there others that aren'ts so. I am thankful I invested in a Bandit, because it still keeps on flying after several bad landings. I still need to learn how much speed to bleed off, so I can come in for soft landing. Still learning.

That is a good idea, but it would be to hard to make it happen. Maybe we could figure out how to share photos of all of us. I have a digital camera, but don't know how to post photos on Ezone. I can't even use the "Smilies." If you tell me how, maybe I can send you photos of my Bandit.

Henry
Old Oct 30, 2001, 04:28 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,488 Posts
Oded,

You deploy spoilers when? "4m up on final approach"? I've been using them on the downwind leg of the landing circuit at about 30m altitude! I'll try your method, because my landings take forever!

Henry,

I like the idea of a global Bandit club, and as Oded says it would be great to all meet up! As for pictures.... erm, don't all our Bandits look the same?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 30, 2001, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Tim;

You got me, I ment to say a picture of me standing along side of my Bandit. Would you know it would take a "Brit" to correct me."
Now I will have to edit my post, not look what you have made do.

All kidding aside, I think a picture of us standing with our Bandit would be something to consider.

Nothing gets by you!

Henry
Old Oct 30, 2001, 08:33 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Still no Bandit for me.... Got an E-mail from Aero-model saying they aren't in yet... Just staring at three 8cell CP-1700 packs and wishing I had a plane for em.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 30, 2001, 10:21 PM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
Universal Meeting:
I know it would be difficult for all of us to meet, but it would be really cool if we could. A good central location would be, say, Hawaii? Australia?
If we all can get a digital photo with: The Owner standing behind their Bandit, I could work a little PhotoShop magic and make it look like were all in one group! (A green grass background would be best, but I can work with almost anything.)(Now I'll have to take a picture of myself, darn.

Spoilers on Landing:
When do I deploy the spoilers? Mainly on final. Since it slows the plane down quite a bit, it really depends on the headwind. Light winds (5 Mph) I usually deploy them about 40 feet out, altitude of about 10-12 feet. You can always snap them down, or add a little power (not much, or the plane will fly really funny.) If it is windy (10-15 Mph) they get deployed a lot closer, probably 10-20 feet, and an altitude of 5-6 feet. It's best to play with them making your approach high, just to get used to what will happen. I may be a little soon, but it works for me.

You all have fun now, ya hear!
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz
Old Oct 31, 2001, 08:11 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
I don't like flying with the ailerons raised since I get less ailerons response. my ailerons pop up at about 45 degrees and I put them into use only when I'm lined at the proper altitude and just want to kill the glide ! form what I figured out with the spoilerons, they don't slow so much the Bandit but they kill the gliding and this is their main intention. otherwise, I'll have the Bandit fly right by me, 2m from the ground, forever...

Whizwaz, if I remember my geogrophy right than I think Hawaii is the most far away place from Israel on the globe I could invite you all to Israel but I have a feeling you'll pass on the opportunuty for now. so, the UK is a nice neutral place half way between the USA & Israel

the Bandit pictures are a good idea, i'll take some as soon as possible before the winter or missiles hit Israel, whichever comes first

Oded.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 09:12 AM
I like cheese...
Bloomington, IN
Joined Sep 2001
846 Posts
I guess I should have said the spoilers kill the lift, not slow it down. I have played around with the Futaba 8UA to get the reverse differential, so I have good aileron control when landing.

As far as a meeting place, I would agree the UK would be more of a half-way point, but we would also like good weather to fly, right? I have never flown in the rain. Tim, can you tell us what it's like?

Anyway, the weather is going to be wonderful this weekend for flying. I hope to get a decent amount of flying in, before it gets too cold.

Oded, thanks for the invite to Israel. I would really like to visit someday, but think I should wait a little while. I'm glad to see you have a great sense of humor. (Obvious in the last line of your message.)
Whizwaz is offline Find More Posts by Whizwaz