Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza / Flame Wheel 450 RTF Kit -- Engines Won't Start

First, I'm brand new to quads.. so be gentle. (Hopefully I'm just doing something stupid)...

Brand new RTF kit from DJI showed up yesterday. I've run into a road-block and need some assistance.

I'm unable to get the throttle to power up the motors.

1) When I power everything up, I hear the satisfying "1234567" song from each of the ESCs.

2) When I turn on the throttle on my radio, the unit just sits there like I've done nothing. I've tried all three flight modes (the flight-mode switch does seem to be working on the TX, since moving it does change the blinking on the Naza LED thing).

3) I know the RX is connected properly to the Naza unit because I can hook the Naza unit to my computer and see the throttle move when I move the control on the TX. This is an indicator that all sorts of things are properly connected and functioning.

4) If I disconnect the ESC and plug is straight into another RX (like it's for an airplane), it seems to work great. So I know the ESCs and motors are functioning properly.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the Naza unit is preventing the throttle from engaging the motors for some reason.

Any ideas would be very welcome!!
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:20 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Are you following the one of the CSC combinations listed under STEP2: Cut Off Type? Took me a bit to figure that out.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner View Post
Are you following the one of the CSC combinations listed under STEP2: Cut Off Type? Took me a bit to figure that out.

Jack
Somehow I missed this in the manual.... I was hoping it was something that simple, but no luck. Does the system beep once armed? I've tried all 4 different positions, including powering on fresh between each of the 4 positions the manual lists.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:36 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Yes, the system beeps when armed.

But I must tell you, I just upgraded the firmware on my Naza to v1.02 and now my motors won't start---everything worked fine under v0.1. Not sure if it's operator error or a bug in the firmware, but you may want to check your firmware version.

Jack
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:

But I must tell you, I just upgraded the firmware on my Naza to v1.02 and now my motors won't start---everything worked fine under v0.1. Not sure if it's operator error or a bug in the firmware, but you may want to check your firmware version.

Jack
Ugh.. I'm also running v1.02.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:41 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Perhaps there's a bug in the firmware. Stay tuned.

Jack
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
There appears to be no way to downgrade the firmware... SO I'm sort of screwed, it would seem.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
Brian, welcome to the world of the Naza. I would start here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536553

I am running v1.02 and have no issues at this point. Motors arm and respond as they should. I am sure that it is something simple and you will be flying shortly. Spend a little time reviewing the setup in the Assistant with your transmitter. Did you calibrate your esc's independently with your receiver? Are your throttle travel adjustments at 100%? Do you have any trim or sub trim in your throttle channel? Lots of little stuff, but nothing that cannot be corrected. Let us know if you cannot find the solution.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to back-peddle either. I posted the problem on another multicopter forum, too. Maybe DJI will be monitoring. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Jack
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
Quote:

Jack
Jack when you upgrade the software, you need to reset your Assistant settings. I click on default, enter in the prior settings and then write. That includes recalibrating your transmitter and mode switch. I hope this works for you.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:48 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,045 Posts
My Naza works fine on 1.02. I did notice that after the upgrades the throttle channel was reversed so it wouldn't let me arm the ESC's because it was protecting since the throttle is high.

Did you check your throttle channel in the software? Maybe also re-run the tx calibration with the software?
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Brian, welcome to the world of the Naza. I would start here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536553\
Thanks!! I read that thread tirelessly before purchasing the RTF kit. Couldn't be more excited about the purchase afterwards. =)

Quote:
I am running v1.02 and have no issues at this point. Motors arm and respond as they should. I am sure that it is something simple and you will be flying shortly.
This is good news. I'll keep trying.

Quote:
Spend a little time reviewing the setup in the Assistant with your transmitter.
This problem is about 10 hours of "trying" old now. I'm a network engineer by trade and a ham radio operator, and I've got lots of experience with RC airplanes... So while I'm a total newb when it comes to quads, the related concepts here are pretty comfortable.

Quote:
Did you calibrate your esc's independently with your receiver?
The manual for the Naza indicates ESC calibration is only required if I'm using third-party ESCs. This is the RTF Kit for the Flame Wheel 450. However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go through this process anyway.

Quote:
Are your throttle travel adjustments at 100%?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you have any trim or sub trim in your throttle channel?
No.

Quote:
Lots of little stuff, but nothing that cannot be corrected. Let us know if you cannot find the solution.
I'll keep digging I guess.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
My Naza works fine on 1.02. I did notice that after the upgrades the throttle channel was reversed so it wouldn't let me arm the ESC's because it was protecting since the throttle is high.

Did you check your throttle channel in the software? Maybe also re-run the tx calibration with the software?
Throttle channel is moving from left-to-right as I increase the throttle. I've also tried reversing it.

I've done the TX calibration no less than 20 times now. =)

Thanks for the comments!!
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
It looks like this person was having the exact same problem, although he was using third-party ESCs. Ultimately, his solution ended up being to power on the ESCs a few seconds before powering on the Naza.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562668

Ultimately, I would hope that's not required here, since these are the matching ESCs.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
I did the esc calibration even with the OPTO esc's on the Naza Kit. The calibration beeps were not like doing a Turnigy and I eventually just waited about 1-2 sec and lowered the throttle. I got a confirming beep so I assume it worked.

Another question, when you power the Naza with the transmitter on while not connected to the computer, what is the led doing? Are you getting rapid yellow/orange flashes, intermittent yellow/orange flashes or no flashes? If you are getting rapid yellow/orange flashes, it indicates that you are in failsafe and you cannot arm.
Site Sponsor