HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2003, 04:26 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
GWS PT-17 late bird maiden

I may be the last of the early birds to get their PT17 operational. It's stock except for the oversize wheels. Using 2S2P ETec 1200's. Had a great time with it this morning. Made 2 flights. Loops like crazy. Outside loops just barely make it to the top. Rolls without any problem, but my rolls looked like a drunken seagull - kind of a corkscrew. I set my throws to maximum for everything - ailerons demo'd below.

Need to finish the decals & trim it out. Batteries are all the way forward, but still seems tail heavy. My first biplane, and I think I have a new favorite flyer.

Larry
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Last edited by sheerLuck; Oct 05, 2003 at 11:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2003, 04:27 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
Another pic ...
Old Oct 04, 2003, 04:27 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
Last one for now....
Old Oct 04, 2003, 07:29 PM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
Nice job. Any chance of getting some video?
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Old Oct 05, 2003, 05:51 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
Very nice! I had not epoxied in my U/C and so I flew a bit without today and yesterday. I needed to add about 55g of ballast to the nose to get the cg just a bit nose heavy, that's with etech 2s1p. Seems to fly forever on those. I think it's my current favourite too. Also good to hear that someone else is doing wild cork screw rolls, I thought it was just me.

This is a pic of the legless bird today.

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins
Old Oct 05, 2003, 03:44 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Ingmar,
I figured out something from your pictures and your post. Mine would not fly. It would go out and if you turned left it would tip stall right in. I must have tried everything I could think of and no luck. I even tried rudder only.

After studying your pictures, I noticed the uniform circular bend on you wing to fuselage struts. I had built mine with 1/16 balsa on each side and they were straight and removed any dihedral (which there is a little) in the top wing. I just finished removing the balsa and cleaning off the glue. Now mine have the needed flex and it flew great.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 05, 2003, 07:57 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Dear LcJ, pls check the thrust line! You must to have a 2 degree off-set to the right to balance the torque from the prop.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Oct 05, 2003, 10:50 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Mr. Lin, it was not the thrust line, that was always correct. It was the fact that having stiffened the inner struts, the top wing was forced into being either totally flat or with an slight bend down from the middle. Whatever the case, once I removed the balsa from the innder struts, it turned into the plane it was supposed to be. I did send you an e-mail rather that place my experience on this forum without a solution. That solution was provided by Ingmar's pictures.

You do have a nice plane design, and the problem was all mine. You never assume anything, and I assumed I could do the same thing with all the struts that I did with the Tigermoth. That was my mistake.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad