Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Discussion
Need help getting all the correct tools (links,basic hand tools to basic power tools)

I am going to start building balsa scratch built planes (from plans) as well doing my own repairs. What tools do I need? Balsa is so thin an easy to break like wing spars, how do you cut hem without snapping, chipping or cracking the balsa?
45 degree cuts? what tools needed? (also could use this method on foam)

Links to the suggested tools would be great.

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks
Jo
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Last edited by schusterjo; Jan 01, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,845 Posts
If you go back to The Builders Workshop main page, click on Search this Forum, type tools in the search box, set Show Threads to search only thread titles, then click Go.

There are a quite a few threads that have asked the same question, with plenty of replies on all sorts of tools and material types.

The basic ones I use are a scalpel knife, (get plenty of blades), a razor saw, (though a junior hacksaw will do), a range of sandpaper, (coarse to fine), some pins, and that should get you started.

Then there are threads on workbenches, power tools, right up to CNC machining tools. But considering many of us 'oldies' used a single sided razor blade and 'balsa cement', power tools can be a bit of an overkill for a beginner
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
If you go back to The Builders Workshop main page, click on Search this Forum, type tools in the search box, set Show Threads to search only thread titles, then click Go.

There are a quite a few threads that have asked the same question, with plenty of replies on all sorts of tools and material types.

The basic ones I use are a scalpel knife, (get plenty of blades), a razor saw, (though a junior hacksaw will do), a range of sandpaper, (coarse to fine), some pins, and that should get you started.

Then there are threads on workbenches, power tools, right up to CNC machining tools. But considering many of us 'oldies' used a single sided razor blade and 'balsa cement', power tools can be a bit of an overkill for a beginner
Thanks... it gives me a place to start
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Well Kinda looked a little an seems spread out a little here a little there..

Really would like power tools but of coarse no cnc machine.. more along the lines of the perfect dremel setup... But need the basic tools as well

So, if anyone has a little time on their hands i appreciate the effort to post links here to the tools needed to get a decent shop going. From the basic hand tools to the basic power tool setup...

Have to get back to work an will have little time to research this for several weeks is why i am asking... thanks.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA64&P=M Master airscrew razor planer. Stripper for making your own sticks http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA63&P=7 These two tools will be used the most in scratch building .Ad some sanding tools small balsa saws and exacto nifes and it good to go. I have a all the power tools but i dont use them that much. I have permagrit sanders and they work great also. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 01, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA64&P=M Master airscrew razor planer. Stripper for making your own sticks http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAA63&P=7 These two tools will be used the most in scratch building .Ad some sanding tools small balsa saws and exacto nifes and it good to go. I have a all the power tools but i dont use them that much. I have permagrit sanders and they work great also. joe
Great! this is the kinda stuff i need to know about..

is there a tool just for cutting spars?

how about a tool that will contour the front of the wing for sanding? (like in a repair an your trying to match the original curve)

what about a tool that will cut 45 degree angles on very long strips? (power is ok here)

how about a tool or jig that will keep your spars (or whatever) at 90 degree or adjustable to other degrees?

I have a exacto knife kit so i am good there.

Ya, i know im kinda lazy in doing research myself but for next several weeks i only have like 1 hour a day to spare an i still have to eat an shower in that hour...

Thanks for your help
Jo
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
You can buy sanding tools to put slots in ribs for spars , The balsa stripper i gave you a link for is what i use for making spars . .http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/permprices.htm I use my razor plane to rough shape my leading wing edges then finish sand them. Angle cutters and sanders for balsa sticks is a formost cutter or sander you can find both here. joe http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/for/for...source=froogle Tools will help you scratch build but if you dont get plans and learn how to cut things out with simple tools and stick with it all the tools in the world wont help you to finish a plane. Good luck ,joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jan 02, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
You can buy sanding tools to put slots in ribs for spars , The balsa stripper i gave you a link for is what i use for making spars . .http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/permprices.htm I use my razor plane to rough shape my leading wing edges then finish sand them. Angle cutters and sanders for balsa sticks is a formost cutter or sander you can find both here. joe http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/for/for...source=froogle Tools will help you scratch build but if you dont get plans and learn how to cut things out with simple tools and stick with it all the tools in the world wont help you to finish a plane. Good luck ,joe
Yes, i plan on getting plans... I have a few wings laying around i like to repair the correct way as well.

The correct tools is the first step for me..

Thanks
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
LXL494 Hobbico Steel T-Pins 1" (100)

LXLH64 Zona Mini Hack Saw

LXM406 House of Balsa Upright 90 Degree Alignment Jig

LXAA63 Master Airscrew Balsa Stripper

LXAA64 Master Airscrew Razor Plane

LXAA65 Master Airscrew Razor Plane Blades (3)

LXG872 Fourmost Gapless Hinge Slotter

L5K26202 Great Planes Precision Hinge Marking Tool

LXBJU0 Midwest Hobby/Craft Square

LXJC83 Tower Hobbies #11 Blades (5)

This is what I have on my list so far... if you can think of anything else please add to the list... I am really interested in a dremel type setup with the router table ext.. as well.. if you know of any items that can make the job closer to perfect an easier to use let me know..

Thanks
Jo
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:34 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,159 Posts
I prefer these to T pins...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pins.htm

These are also better than the similar pins from Midwest, which can have a tendency to seperate.

I also like this hinge slotter

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hig/highin001.htm
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
I prefer these to T pins...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pins.htm

These are also better than the similar pins from Midwest, which can have a tendency to seperate.

I also like this hinge slotter

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hig/highin001.htm
Those are the pins i like also . I slot my own hinges with a exacto knife but i might try one of thos . joe
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:10 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schusterjo View Post
LXL494 Hobbico Steel T-Pins 1" (100)

LXLH64 Zona Mini Hack Saw

LXM406 House of Balsa Upright 90 Degree Alignment Jig

LXAA63 Master Airscrew Balsa Stripper

LXAA64 Master Airscrew Razor Plane

LXAA65 Master Airscrew Razor Plane Blades (3)

LXG872 Fourmost Gapless Hinge Slotter

L5K26202 Great Planes Precision Hinge Marking Tool

LXBJU0 Midwest Hobby/Craft Square

LXJC83 Tower Hobbies #11 Blades (5)

This is what I have on my list so far... if you can think of anything else please add to the list... I am really interested in a dremel type setup with the router table ext.. as well.. if you know of any items that can make the job closer to perfect an easier to use let me know..

Thanks
Jo
I've been building since the 50's, and you have tools listed that I don't have, and do not see a need for.

In my opinion, you are going about this in the wrong way. I suggest that you build a flat building board, and purchase a few essential tools (razor knife, saw, pins, etc). Then as you go along, buy the correct tool for the job, as it comes up.

It's impossible to have every tool on hand, when you are just getting started. How would you know what you need, until you need it ?

Take your time. If you do, you'll acquire a tool set that will serve you well. Get in a hurry, and you may spend money on tools that you will never use.

The suggestions made above, are useful to the posters, for the models that they build. Different model types, require different tools. Are you going to build models like theirs ?

For instance. I could not complete a model without using my 60 gallon, 6 horse compressor, and HVLP spray gun. Does that mean that YOU need one ? I doubt it. I have 2 drill presses, a band saw, and a table mounted belt sander. These are all used in all my builds. I don't think that anyone else has mentioned them.

My point is that each builder develops his own, personal, set of tools.

I suggest that you do the same. When you have questions about specific tools, we can make suggestions, then.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I've been building since the 50's, and you have tools listed that I don't have, and do not see a need for.

In my opinion, you are going about this in the wrong way. I suggest that you build a flat building board, and purchase a few essential tools (razor knife, saw, pins, etc). Then as you go along, buy the correct tool for the job, as it comes up.

It's impossible to have every tool on hand, when you are just getting started. How would you know what you need, until you need it ?

Take your time. If you do, you'll acquire a tool set that will serve you well. Get in a hurry, and you may spend money on tools that you will never use.

The suggestions made above, are useful to the posters, for the models that they build. Different model types, require different tools. Are you going to build models like theirs ?

For instance. I could not complete a model without using my 60 gallon, 6 horse compressor, and HVLP spray gun. Does that mean that YOU need one ? I doubt it. I have 2 drill presses, a band saw, and a table mounted belt sander. These are all used in all my builds. I don't think that anyone else has mentioned them.

I suggest that you do the same. When you have questions about specific tools, we can make suggestions, then.
Ok good point...
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:49 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,741 Posts
I agree with Tom, you're going to develop your own tool set in time. The items you have listed are those that I use as well, but with a few differences...

Get the Zona 3 in 1 saw kit, not the hack saw. I use this all the time.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLH56&P=7

Buy good #11 blades, not cheapies from Tower or Hobbico. Xacto makes their top of the line X-life blades in a 100 pack, which will last you for several years, for about $25. I use this dispenser and then reload when empty...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKY49&P=ML
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post

I own a scroll saw and sander, drill press, band saw but in 30 years i have only used the band saw and scroll saw for cutting out ply parts or hard woods. Iam a master carpenter so i own all the big stuff.My main tools for building are a razer plane small balsa saw exacto knife balsa stripper and sanding tools. and thats it.I dont see how any one can build with out at least thos basic tools. joe