HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:42 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
Maybe I should browse the manual to see if there are any surprises.
I had a bit of a surprise. The default LiPo mode is "Charge", so that's what I did for weeks and weeks. When I noticed my cells weren't very well balanced, I read the manual, only to find that what I really wanted to do was "BALANCE" (one more click on the + key).
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:44 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
It seems all these 4 button chargers are programmed the same. I also have been using a 4 button Venom charger and the operation and display is identical. Are these all clones of one another - which was the first? Could it have been the Venom?
About the only thing most of these 4-button chargers share in common is the logic chips and possibly the LCD displays.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post

But what actually made my mind up for me was the fact that Hitec repairs their products and their repair center is in Poway (San Diego) California. I'll add that I sent Hitec an Eclipse-7 for repair and a Multiplex Evo for a firmware update and in both cases they did the work and got them back to me in about a week.
I agree. After I smoked the AC portion of my charger (grrrr!), I had an email exchange with their service department, and it seemed they could probably fix it for one hour labor, which is only $25. I haven't actually sent it in, because I don't think I could live without it even for a week, but it's good to know they have quick turnaround.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to save the settings I am dialing in to the #1 port on my new Hitec X4, and I can not make the settings "stick". I set it to LIPO, 0.5A, 3.7V, (1S) and tell it to save that to slot #1. Then I do the same thing but with a 0.6A setting and tell it to save that to slot #2. Finally, I go to Load Data and tell it to load either #1 or #2. No matter which one I load, it displays 0.1A, not the 0.5 or 0.6A I had saved. If someone could tell me what I am doing wrong I would appreciate it. I just got this today, and I want to start using it, but I don't want to hook up a battery until I know and understand all the controls and how they work. So I am playing with the settings as practice. But it doesn't do what I understand it is supposed to do. I've read the manual three times, and no help there.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Hello,

Just got one of these chargers, so far very impressed. It was a refurb unit from Hitec.

For owners of this charger, I'm hoping someone could answer a quick question for me.

When not charging, the fan will turn on intermittently, and i'm sure you all know the fan is a bit loud. It will go on for 5-10 seconds, then turn off for a couple minutes, and repeat.

I'm going to set a fan up next to it and leave it on, not charging and see if the temp sensor might somehow be set low or something. I wouldn't mind it, but it's pretty annoying in the otherwise quiet room.

I'll be keeping it unplugged when not in use unless I find out that this is a defect or if I can find a way to prevent it from turning on when not charging.

Thanks for any input!
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:19 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
740 Posts
Midnight - mine is the same way, I think especially when plugged into AC. I just unplug it when its not in use.
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Feb 2005
19 Posts
How reliable is the delta peak detection for NiMH? From the manual, it says that the delta peak is adjustable from 5-20mv/cell. What value is good for NiMH?

The other question is if it is possible to simultaneously charge two A123 packs connected to a Smartfly Power Expander using two separate ports of the charger? Will the common grounding of the batteries cause any issues?

Looking for some feedback before deciding on this charger.
mattknn is offline Find More Posts by mattknn
Last edited by mattknn; Apr 07, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThuban View Post
Midnight - mine is the same way, I think especially when plugged into AC. I just unplug it when its not in use.
Thanks so much for the reply. I probably won't bother contacting Hitec about a replacement if the intermittent fan on/off while not charging is a common thing. I bet a replacement would just do the same.

I may disassemble (Take the guts out of) an old laptop power supply I have laying around with that same plug shape - hack the actual plug part out of it and make a small "extension" with an on/off switch when I want to do my charging.

Lots of work just to avoid a simple plug/unplug every time, but who knows how long until that input on the charger starts to get loose. That'd suck.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
can some one please help with this thread

In need of help please look if u own a hitec x4 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1882161
car_ramrod is offline Find More Posts by car_ramrod
Old May 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Mar 2005
22 Posts
Hi everyone, I just purchased one at Joe Nall and was wondering where is the best place to buy extra balancing boards so I can charge 4 Lipo at once.

Bob
N2RYD is offline Find More Posts by N2RYD
Old May 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RYD View Post
Hi everyone, I just purchased one at Joe Nall and was wondering where is the best place to buy extra balancing boards so I can charge 4 Lipo at once.

Bob
Are you sure your Li-Po's won't fit directly into the charger? If your batteries fit into the adapter marked "XH" (and a LOT of batteries use this connector), then you don't need to use the adapter. Just plug the balancing plug into the side of the charger (make sure the black wire lines up with pin "-" (black)).

Personally, if I had a battery that didn't fit, I'd just swap out the balancing plug on the battery to fit the charger, but Tower Hobbies (and others) has the boards, $8 each plus shipping. Just search "Hitec adapter".
Last edited by michaelingp; May 24, 2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: clarify
Old May 27, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Are you sure your Li-Po's won't fit directly into the charger? If your batteries fit into the adapter marked "XH" (and a LOT of batteries use this connector), then you don't need to use the adapter. Just plug the balancing plug into the side of the charger (make sure the black wire lines up with pin "-" (black)).

Personally, if I had a battery that didn't fit, I'd just swap out the balancing plug on the battery to fit the charger, but Tower Hobbies (and others) has the boards, $8 each plus shipping. Just search "Hitec adapter".
The balance plugs on batteries aren't spaced just right for that balance board plug in the side of the charger - not even the XH type. I've used it in a pinch on 3 and 4 cell batteries okay, but trying to get the pins to fit a battery balance plug isn't exactly fun. My 6-cell was an even greater struggle to get them aligned properly. That and I worry about bending a pin in there every time I tried it.

Balance boards can be found at hobbyking for a buck or 2. Just load up when/if you order something else and be done with it. You can usually find a buddy code for them too.
I couldn't find them for less than $6 anyplace other than Hobbyking when I was shopping around for a few for my Hitec charger.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsabotage View Post
The balance plugs on batteries aren't spaced just right for that balance board plug in the side of the charger - not even the XH type. I've used it in a pinch on 3 and 4 cell batteries okay, but trying to get the pins to fit a battery balance plug isn't exactly fun. My 6-cell was an even greater struggle to get them aligned properly. That and I worry about bending a pin in there every time I tried it.
All I can say is me and a friend have charged hundreds of batteries on the charger using the direct method. Actually, until saw this post, I thought that's how the thing was designed. I too worry about bending the pins, but it hasn't happened yet, and I figure if it does, I can straighten them out one time to start using an adapter.

The problem with HobbyKing is the descriptions aren't adequate to determine if the thing will actually fit. For XH connectors, I think this might work, but you might have to modify the plug that goes into the charger. For other connectors, I'm not sure which HK balance boards you're referring to.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
That's the one for XH, yep. I only use that type, so I never needed to look up other types. With a buddy code, they're $1.14 each. Plugged in without any modification and the pins are spaced properly for it. You actually have to work the pins closer to eachother in the charger to fit a battery plug directly, and again, I worry about bending them. It only takes one time to cause a bunch of headache.

But I agree, you can indeed charge those batteries without a board if you're careful. I just prefer the minimal cost use of a Hobbyking balance board for my peace of mind and ease of use for me.

Happy charging!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:13 AM
Paul
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Nov 2008
534 Posts
Help Please

Hi this is a BIG asked.
One of our new club members purchased a new HITEC X4 AC PLUS MULTI CHARGER. AC/DC, 4 OUTPUT and hooked it upto our 12 volt charging station the wrong way and smoked the unit.
Now the charger will not work on the mains 240 volt power but 12 volt power input is still working.
The member took the charger back to where he purchased it from for repair but the store was not willing to repair the charger because it was not warranty claim.

That is why he has asked me to assist if I can repair it.

I have contacted Hitec Australia and they don’t do parts or repairs for this Hitec charger.

The main power board “Skyrc DL-B6M1A VL2 2011-11-16” has blown a part at location “R29” on the mother board and could someone please tell me what this part, type and number is, so we can attempt a local solder repair.

If possible a photo
Thankyou for any assistance .
regards Paul
spirroau is offline Find More Posts by spirroau