HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt65 View Post
I just got mine X4 and I'm trying to charge new NiCd at 0.1 but calculations say I need 588 minutes for this 700mah pack. The 4X keeps timing out at 120 minutes. Manual says you can adjust the time but doesn't tell you how. "Additionally the user can set the maximum amount of charging time." (page 5). Then on page 10 the flow chart shows "Safety Timer Setting" that can be turned on/off and set the time - but I've never seen that screen when going through the setup options. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
The charger uses a Delta Peak detection system to determine the termination of the charge. Being that, you need to charge the battery a faster rate. A 700 mah pack should be charged between 400-700 mah. You could charge faster, up to 1 amp depending on the manufacturer of the cells. Being a 700 mah, I would recommend you charge it at 400-500 mah.

Slow charging a nicad or nimh at C/10 (700/10= 70 mah) for 18-20 hours is the proper way to formation charge a new battery. I do not believe the X4 has the ability to disable the Delta Peak settings.
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
I have this charger and love it. Except: After having it for a week, I accidently connected it backwards to my car battery, and totally smoked the AC part. So, now I just use it with an external power supply that I had around. Yes, it was my fault, but it seems like a common error they could have designed for. To be fair, I think Hitec can fix it relatively inexpensively, but I love it so much I don't want to give it up for a couple of weeks. Also, as far as balancing, sometimes the cells come out as much as .03 volts apart. But I don't totally blame it on the charger, since I buy cheap batteries and don't really treat them well.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt65 View Post
I just got mine X4 and I'm trying to charge new NiCd at 0.1 but calculations say I need 588 minutes for this 700mah pack. The 4X keeps timing out at 120 minutes. Manual says you can adjust the time but doesn't tell you how. "Additionally the user can set the maximum amount of charging time." (page 5). Then on page 10 the flow chart shows "Safety Timer Setting" that can be turned on/off and set the time - but I've never seen that screen when going through the setup options. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
  1. Press the BATT TYPE button as many times as it takes for the display to read USER SET - PROGRAM.
  2. Press the START button.
  3. Press the DEC. or INC. button as many times as it takes for the display to read Safety Timer.
  4. Press the START button.
  5. Press the DEC. or INC. button to turn the Safety Timer ON or OFF.
  6. Press the START button.
  7. Press the DEC. or INC. button to adjust the Safety Timer minutes.
  8. Press the START button.
  9. Press the BATT TYPE button as many times as it takes to get back into NiCd charging mode.
Note that you will need to do this for each channel (port) you want to change and you can set the channels differently. Also note that these settings are global for all battery types in the channel.

You can adjust several other "SETUP" settings in the USER SET - PROGRAM menu.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Hi PGR, sent you a email about this charger, but i am new to forums and not really sure how to contact people on these forums.
ladyflyer0 is offline Find More Posts by ladyflyer0
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Don't be shy ask out in the open there many on here that are helpful if you just simply ask the question everybody has to start somewhere.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Thank you PGR for your very helpful reply, and since I am not too familiar with how to post or ask questions on a forum, the saying goes you can teach an old dog new tricks!! so I will be hopefully learning some new tricks!

I will be purchasing the Hitech charger soon. Do you know if someone makes battery charging leads with the ends on need already on them, a little rusty with a soldering gun!

Need EC3 connector and XT-60 connector ( any websight that sells these already soldered on??)
Last edited by ladyflyer0; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyer0 View Post
a little rusty with a soldering gun!
I know this is not what you asked, but if you don't like soldering, you might want to consider to crimping Anderson Powerpoles.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Look here
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ex&cPath=26_11
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:44 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyer0 View Post

I will be purchasing the Hitech charger soon. Do you know if someone makes battery charging leads with the ends on need already on them, a little rusty with a soldering gun!

Need EC3 connector and XT-60 connector ( any websight that sells these already soldered on??)
Many sources online have these pre-made charging leads, eg Hobby King and others. Also check out your Local Hobby Shop. I've been using Hyperion balance adaptors from my LHS for mine.
AlThuban is offline Find More Posts by AlThuban
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:00 AM
just go fly...
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
i have an X4 AC plus and i just love it for my small packs. so fast and i like how the charger is smarter than me. i have yet to incorrectly charge a pack yet because the X4 won't let me. i will note the fan is a little annoying, esp when you discharge a battery. but it is not a deal breaker. i would also like to note that i have seen a marked improvement in my batteries life span over the cheap charger i used to have. i wish for only one thing. i would like if i could discharge and then have it auto charge that same pack back to back. i prefer this when i have only half used a pack in the field. other than that small automation request, i give my X4AC+ a solid 8.5 out of 10 for usability and a solid 10 for charging. it has been flawless in that department.
fluxnstuff is offline Find More Posts by fluxnstuff
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:01 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
783 Posts
I am looking into purchasing this charger. Is there an alternative to this one in terms of price and quaility? AC and charging multiple batteries is a must.
Gharddog03 is offline Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
718 Posts
I did a lot of homework on chargers.....there are alternatives...and a couple very similar in looks...maybe even some considered "knock-offs"...but from what I've read...the components were of lessor quality....i didnt want to take a chance....and I am extremely happy with this product after purchasing, and using for over 6 months.....what a time saver! ....I HATE the instructions.....HATE THEM..but...once i learned my way around with what i need to do.....the charger is AWESOME!!
rpm3 is offline Find More Posts by rpm3
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Santa left me a Hitec X4 AC Plus AC/DC Four-Channel Multi-Charger.

I've been using it without reading the manual. It seems all these 4 button chargers are programmed the same. I also have been using a 4 button Venom charger and the operation and display is identical. Are these all clones of one another - which was the first? Could it have been the Venom?

Maybe I should browse the manual to see if there are any surprises.

They should have provided all that was required for the four channels. The cost of the charger is actually a fair bit more with the additional cost of cables and balancing boards.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,973 Posts
I've personally seen the innards of a Hitec X4 and a HobbyKing clone side-by-side and there was a distinct difference. The components in the clone were smaller and there was more point-to-point wiring. The Hitec also had considerably more heft to it. (please note that we compared an X4 and clone, not an X4 AC Plus)

But what actually made my mind up for me was the fact that Hitec repairs their products and their repair center is in Poway (San Diego) California. I'll add that I sent Hitec an Eclipse-7 for repair and a Multiplex Evo for a firmware update and in both cases they did the work and got them back to me in about a week.

Try that with a clone.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR