SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Yippee!
Flying Something Every Month, Week, and/or Day in 2012

Per Andy's suggestion of a New Year's Resolution to Fly Something every day in 2012, here is a discussion/support/accountability group to keep from overloading our usual monthly threads.

I Hereby Resolve... Daily Jim!
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Jan 01, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Day 1, 1 flight so far of my new Force MH-35 heli in my livingroom.

First important observation: Don't try to fly with the ceiling fan on Medium or High! Low is OK.

Question for this support group: Is this group about motivation, daily progress, success, failure, philosophy of stick-to-it-iveness, all of the above, what?

Jim, who's participating, but who hereby resolves (another New Year's Resolution!) to NOT monopolize or to be over-verbose here and anywhere, starting when I press Send!
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:23 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Andy checking in for January 1.

I flew my Blade mCX a few hops in the garage. I went thru my supply of packs and determined they were nearly all drained. Time to charge, but I flew today!

1 day down...365 to go.

Hmm...got to thinking. Gonna be tough to keep this resolution when Spring Break comes around. We'll be at Disney for a week. Not sure how I could fit a flying something-or-other in the suitcase for that trip.

Maybe we should amend the resolution to something along the lines of "I will fly something today if I am at home and can lay eyes on an aircraft of some sort." In other words, if you got something within reach that's flyable, go fly it.

Is that fair?

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:36 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Wow. I just flew my old Blade CX for the first time in several years. Man, is that thing a handful compared to the newer mCX and Combat Helis! I was all over the garage with it. The 2-cell lipo packs won't sustain voltage enough for more than 30 secs of flight. Maybe they will come back to life after a few cycles!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:24 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,742 Posts
Been flying the UMX Beastie AS3X I got for Christmas, strange how well a 2.5 ounce plane can handle the wind so well, even the turbulence between houses. Wonder if the new technology will keep my hands from freezing today?
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
How's it handling that wind today? Give us a flight report.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Jim checking in on Monday January 2. I'm flying my Force heli to test and time the 160 mAh LiPos with which I hope to do battle. So far 7-7.5 minutes of hovering and slow manuevers and occasional bursts of machine gun fire on 3 of them. Many more to go!

Jim
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:56 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Jan 2 flight report. Blade CX. One pack sags so much that it won't climb out of ground effect after thirty seconds or so. It has enough juice to hover just above half-throttle at an altitude of six to twelve inches. Still fun cruising around half a garage.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dee-grose; Jan 03, 2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo...thanks iPhone!
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:31 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Checking in Tuesday January 3. Flew a Force R/C heli, testing more of my batteries. Shorter flights today. Not sure if that's from the batteries sitting overnight, or because I'm flying a different heli today. But as long as they fly 6 minutes or more, I'm happy.

Jim
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK View Post
Been flying the UMX Beastie AS3X I got for Christmas, strange how well a 2.5 ounce plane can handle the wind so well, even the turbulence between houses. Wonder if the new technology will keep my hands from freezing today?
I'm still thinking about picking one up once I get my 8FG modded for spektrum.

How do you like the new beast?
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I'm still thinking about picking one up once I get my 8FG modded for spektrum.

How do you like the new beast?

Love it. Didn't fly it yesterday as planned, even AS3X magic won't help when wind speed is above top speed. Have a GWS 5x3 prop and Hyperion 240's on it, just about have it maxed out as I am getting (aileron?) flutter when i go full speed and enter a shallow dive. It isn't 3D, but a nice front-yard-cul-de-sac flyer. I also like that these planes have a handy storage/transport box that you can throw in the back of the car and not worry about them. I will bring it the to the parade grounds and you can fly it.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Cool. I'm considering getting the new beast and the micro Extra. I think I can fly the extra in the living room.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:57 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Jan 3 flight report (forgot to post before bed). Blade mCX in the garage. Flew one good 120mA pack through it. I think my 110mA packs are toast. Fresh off the charger, they give about 5 seconds of flight time before LVC kicks in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
Wed. January 4th check in. I finally finished test-flying all 11 of my 160 mAh packs, plus repeating the test on one that seemed to last shorter than the rest.

I cleaned them up and added a black Sharpie stripe along one side so I can tell them from the other packs.

Looks like if I time my battles and land at 5 minutes that I should stay far away from LVC unless one does a lot of wild manuevers.

I did finally see the LVC flashing light inside the canopy. But it starts flashing when the heli is already heading down towards the ground!

Hopefully with tomorrow's promising better weather, I can fly something else and outside!

Jim
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Jan 4 flight report. I changed it up a bit and took the Night Vapor and HobbyZone Champ to fly in the gym at church. Started out and flew a pack thru the Champ. Pulled out the Night Vapor and flew one pack thru it. Man, I'd forgotten how much fun the Vapors are. Countless touch-n-gos on the tables that were set up. Dragging it around at slower that walking speed. Those things are a blast!

Andy
RCG Plus Member