HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by milehighjc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:46 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Discussion
UMX Beast 3D

The newest addition to the hangar: e-Flight UMX Beast 3D

This promises to be a ton of fun in a small package. This latest Beast includes technology called AS3X - a gyro based controller that promises to take the effects of moderate wind out of flying an ultra micro.

I picked it up from our local hobby store thanks to a nice AMA discount that was expiring at the end of the year. I was able to make the first flight this evening, as it was getting dark - so it was pretty tame. Im looking forward to flying it again in the morning when there is enough light to see what its doing.

Edit 1/20/2012

Life was not good to the Beast. After 14 flights, and 3 very HARD crashes, it was retired. I dont think it was ever right out of the box - the motor was noisy, and it shuddered/fluttered at WOT. The AS3X was not working all the time, and on flight 14, I lost all control - flying straight and level, it decided it would not turn. It went down in the street, broke the shaft, tore the wings again, broke loose the left aileron servo - it was going to be more expensive to fix than it was worth. Fortunately, my LHS manager agreed that something had been wrong, and replaced it. Im looking forward to Beast II having better luck. Updates as I learn more.

Edit 2/5/2012

Im beginning to think this plane was not meant to be with me. Replacment Beast went out for its maiden flight about a week ago, and 10 seconds into the flight, I treed it. Purely my fault, but it was in very poor condition after getting it down. Ive picked up a wing kit in hopes of recovering it, but I dont think it will ever be QUITE right. Oh well, fly and learn.

Edit 2/12/2012

The demon Beast has been repaired - took about a week for the wing kit to come in, and a morning to complete the repairs. It was a slow process - very meticulous, small, close quarters work - especially the CF work. But it seems to have gone together well, and now it is all trimmed up and ready for re-maiden. Hopefully its still a good flyer.

Edit 2/17//2012

Remaidned 4 days ago. Generally flew pretty well, but seemed to have a tendency to roll right, and yaw left. Didnt have time to look at it again that day, but put it on the bench again today, and mechanically adjusted the aileron, and rudder again - it was indeed off. A quick flight in the cul-de-sac proved that the adjustments were right on - now with the trim dead center on the TX the plane flies straight as an arrow. I think I can declare the repair a success - now just need a little more space, and some wind to prove the AS3X is ok.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Last edited by milehighjc; Feb 17, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,073 Posts
Do you find that it has enough power up here in the thinner air in Colorado? How does it do in high alpha, harriers etc? Any wing rock?
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Do you find that it has enough power up here in the thinner air in Colorado? How does it do in high alpha, harriers etc? Any wing rock?
Well, if I could get it to stay in one piece long enough, I would be able to give you a reasonable answer to that

Three flights after the major repair, I augured it in again - Doing a KE circle, and as I was rolling back level, it spiralled down from about 20'. Broke the braces to the upper wing - now I'm now sure if they were weak from the prior crash and were the CAUSE of this crash, or if they were broken as a result of this crash, but either way, it went down again.

I never really thought about altitude as a contributor to my "disagreements" with the beast, and I really don't think it has been an issue... I think its more of dumb thumbs, and a couple of mechanical issues with the first one.

One thing I do notice that COULD be altitude related, with power off it is an absolute BRICK.

To your direct questions - it harriers fine, and is very stable (I think attributable to the AS3X). It will hover nicely (although I'm still not skilled enough to hold a hover for long). I have gotten some nice torque rolls out of it in hover... very cool looking. It knife edges very well, including KE circles. In fact, with enough rudder, it will pull to a vertical line pretty quickly from KE. It flies inverted very well. Tumbles are pretty violent, at least with the max throws. Blenders are WICKED violent, and actually a little hard to pull out of.

A couple of final thoughts (that have NOTHING to do with altitude) is that it is small enough that its very easy to lose orientation in the violent moves (blenders, etc), at least for my 52 year old eyes. Its particularly bad as it gets further away, and its hard for ME to fly in tight confined spaces (its pretty quick). Its also very fragile - much more so than my UM T-28. Any impact with the ground at all will tend to damage SOMETHING. It's not a tough airplane at all. Lots of fun, but not durable.

Good luck!

jc
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,073 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I figured it was not a beginner 3D airframe. Harriers and KE are my favorite moves and I am picky about wing rock and coupling. Will it elevator?
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:49 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Thanks for the comments. I figured it was not a beginner 3D airframe. Harriers and KE are my favorite moves and I am picky about wing rock and coupling. Will it elevator?
Im not sure I remember trying an elevator... will make a note to try next time Im out. RE: Coupling - I think it was pretty good out of the box, but I think I've introduced a bit in the overhauls (the tree was NOT kind to it).