HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:04 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Futaba 9VAP - Accessing the Service Menu, Lithium Battery replacement & mode change

UPDATE: Version 2 of the "How to" manual is now available at my website http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/9V.htm
Please note that I won't be posting future document updates to this thread or others, but they will be available from my website and if you've left a valid email when you downloaded this file, you will be informed as updates become available rather than having to come back and keep checking.

The reasons why I removed V1 and hosted V2 on my website: I wanted to add the information/photo for calibrating the voltage and there were a few formatting errors I wanted to correct. I did this and then found I had to update 5 separate posts and (more importantly) I had no way of telling peeps there was a new version except through this forum. Not an issue this time, but it made me wonder what I'd do if there was an error in the manual and I wanted to get hold of the peeps that had downloaded it to tell them The solution: Central Config Control or to put it more simply: hosting it on my site and asking downloaders to supply a contact email address before downloading. That way I'm not reliant on subscribers to this thread and I don't have to update every post on every forum I ever made! You can supply a junk email address if you want - but that's your look-out and I don't feel guilty

UPDATE: Futaba 9VAP - Service Menu & Mode Change "How-to" pdf now added to thread. - Jan 2012
-----------Original Post Below------------------------------
Yay!!! A guy at my club has just given me his 9VAP!

I love these and have always mourned the loss of mine (sold some time ago). Sure the programming was old-school confusing - but a truly quality set.

Anyhoo - I'm going to try and disassemble, service and hack it to get at the Futaba Service Menu so I can replace the lithium battery easily (unlike the last time). They don't have CAMPACs so the usual pinout hack will not work - it must be something else.....

Anyone still flying these? and anyone interested in knowing how to change stick modes / access the Service Menu and calibrate them?
quincross is offline Find More Posts by quincross
Last edited by quincross; Feb 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: changed title as this will now be a how-to
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Well that was comparatively easy.....! Straight into Service Mode - I suspect the approach will be the same for other early non-CAMPAC radios. Now I've just got to figure out the service menu - it's similar but a little different from the 9ZAP and 8U's.

from first glance it looks like you can:
  • Read the user password
  • Read the version number and time on
  • Calibrate the sticks
  • Maybe calibrate the switches - this screen is odd!

Other things you appear to be able to do:
  • You can change the mode - i.e. Mode 1 or 2
  • Voltage appears to be manually calibrated
  • VAP or VHP (i.e Aero or Heli) software setting appears to be done through changing a chip ah well and recalibrating

Big thanks to contributors across the web - you know who you are!
Last edited by quincross; Jan 03, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:13 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,839 Posts
What ever you post here I will print out and keep with my VAP for future reference as I will use an FrSky module in it...

Thanks.....and have a Happy New Year.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:59 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
@A10Flyer - no worries mate, I'll post the pics and the approach then. As long as there's someone else out there as I didn't want to go to the effort if it was only me interested in flying with an old 80s radio!

And the pics of the 9VAP service menu I took - I'll take some more of the short so you can see how to access the menu.
Last edited by quincross; Jan 18, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:05 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Just flew with this set for the second time - and OMG what an improvement after calibration (especially fast flight at low rates). If you've got a 9VAP do the calibration as it really improves the feel - I guess after a few years settings slip some!

What I've done is:
  • Replaced the lithium battery - inc. hack to prevent memory loss during procedure. Thanks again to Farnell electronics online!
  • Cleaned the LCD
  • Greased the bearings
  • Calibrated the set

As it was Mode 2 anyway I've not changed it - but the procedure is fairly obvious and seems simple.

In fact all the above is simple with this set - very easy access, nice easy plugs for PCBs and lots of space to do stuff around. Now Futaba isn't supporting these anymore I'm a happier man knowing it's not going to be a hard job keeping the set in top condition.

I'll hopefully get time to do the How To for it shortly as Xmas is over - and the 9Z one too...

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Last edited by quincross; Jan 02, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
How to access service menu

Hi - for a newbie to radio programming like me - how do you access the service menu - I have dusted off my old set, regreased bearing blocks, cleaned off and installed a corona 2.4 module - now I need to reprogram the unit but over the years I have forgotton the password - could you help please.....

thanks
Sid
shakeelsid is offline Find More Posts by shakeelsid
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeelsid View Post
Hi - for a newbie to radio programming like me - how do you access the service menu - I have dusted off my old set, regreased bearing blocks, cleaned off and installed a corona 2.4 module - now I need to reprogram the unit but over the years I have forgotton the password - could you help please.....

thanks
Sid
Forgive the question, but you did say newbie...Do you want to access the service menu on the Futaba 9ZAP or another model/type of transmitter? There's a lot of info on doing it on other models just check the forum. Just checking before you blow up your TX

If it's the 9ZAP I need to take some pics - it's straightforward but needs a photo of the connections - I am getting round to this but work is mental at the moment and with kids as well I have had no real air-time yet this year since posting this thread! I should have something up in the next fortnight, if not this week.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Thanks Quincross, I am looking for 9VAP service menu, hence I am on this thread - you are saying connections, so is this menu a switch triggered firmware? I was hoping it was accessible by pressing a combinatin of the programming buttons - but the more I read the more I realize it is not the case.
I would really appreciate your help in this -

Best regards
Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincross View Post
Forgive the question, but you did say newbie...Do you want to access the service menu on the Futaba 9ZAP or another model/type of transmitter? There's a lot of info on doing it on other models just check the forum. Just checking before you blow up your TX

If it's the 9ZAP I need to take some pics - it's straightforward but needs a photo of the connections - I am getting round to this but work is mental at the moment and with kids as well I have had no real air-time yet this year since posting this thread! I should have something up in the next fortnight, if not this week.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeelsid View Post
Thanks Quincross, I am looking for 9VAP service menu, hence I am on this thread - you are saying connections, so is this menu a switch triggered firmware? I was hoping it was accessible by pressing a combinatin of the programming buttons - but the more I read the more I realize it is not the case.
I would really appreciate your help in this -

Best regards
Sid
Don't worry it is easy to access, far easier than CAMPAC pinouts and less risky. However, you are going to have to muck with your tx. I do need to post a photo though, rather than just explaining, as if you (or someone else) does make a mistake from misunderstanding my instructions you will probably blow up your set. But don't worry, with a photo, unless you're a complete idiot, there's no risk at all!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
9VAP "How-to" for Service Menu, Password and Mode Change v.1

UPDATE:I have removed V1 from this post and the most recent version of the "How to" manual is now available at my website http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/9V.htm

OK - I got round to taking some pictures and writing it up. Sorry, it took so long!

The attached PDF is a write-up of how to:
  • Access the service menu
  • Find the user password
  • Change the Mode (mode 1 or 2)
  • Test & Calibrate the 9VAP

The contents of the document are listed below:

--------- CONTENTS --------

1. Introduction 3
1.1. Document Overview 3
1.2. Disclaimer & Warning! 3
1.3. Distribution and Use 3
1.4. How to Report Errors and Get the Most Recent Version 4
2. How to Access the 9V Service Menu & Change the stick Mode 5
2.1. Overview 5
2.2. Handling PCBs 5
2.3. “How to” Procedure 5
3. The Service and Test Menu 7
3.1. Overview 7
3.2. Finding out the Password or User ID 7
3.1. Test Menus 8
3.1. Calibration Menus 11

----------End Contents-----

Hope that helps someone! Let me know any errors if you find any!
Last edited by quincross; Feb 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,839 Posts
Mate, don't be sorry!! We appreciate the time you spend doing this.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Mate, don't be sorry!! We appreciate the time you spend doing this.
That's just us brits mate, painfully polite
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Doncaster
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
T9VAP Service menu

Hi, all I am new to this forum.
Many Thanks to Quincross for acquiring this very difficult to get info and presenting the document in such professional style. Its a credit to him.
Cheers, Dave
Dave Nye is offline Find More Posts by Dave Nye
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Vow, Thanks Quincross, Even Futaba manuals are not that easy and complete - compliments on the fantastic job - you have earned yourself an excellent reputation now

Best regards
Sid
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ride, Surf, Fly, Sleep
Joined Dec 2007
253 Posts
Version 2 of the "How to" manual is now available at my website http://www.jamesandtracy.co.uk/howto/9V.htm

Version 2 incudes:
  1. Additional information and photos on TX and RX voltage calibration.
  2. An updated service menu flowchart
  3. Formatting and content updates

If you have any issues with downloading let me know. I'm hosting it on my site rather than here to maintain configuration control (see below), not such a problem for this manual but I'm about to post up one on the 9Z which is a bit longer with far more content.....

The reasons why I removed V1 and hosted V2 on my website: I wanted to add the information/photo for calibrating the voltage and there were a few formatting errors I wanted to correct. I did this and then found I had to update 5 separate posts and (more importantly) I had no way of telling peeps there was a new version except through this forum. Not an issue this time, but it made me wonder what I'd do if there was an error in the manual and I wanted to get hold of the peeps that had downloaded it to tell them The solution: Central Config Control or to put it more simply: hosting it on my site and asking downloaders to supply a contact email address before downloading. That way I'm not reliant on subscribers to this thread and I don't have to update every post on every forum I ever made! You can supply a junk email address if you want - but that's your look-out and I don't feel guilty