SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Heheh yep

As for your question...I do think you should cut them and do the separation. You could also outline them with thin balsa to make it look like there is depth recession.

Here is a few pics of the exhausts Ive been working on. Like you, my graupner 190 d9 did not have a recessed area for the exhaust.
So...I may still try to cut out an area to recess these or may not since the graupner isnt that scale in other areas(like flaps and cowl too long).

Anyway...check out the pics.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
Excellant work , now I can see what you mean , I may cut mine as you are raising the bar in my low end bash lol !!!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Friend of mine has the Pica fw-190 d9 same as yours..pica and platt are same plane. He put the exhaust stacks on similar to what I did here and he did recess them. But he also built the plane from plans.

Here's a pic of his
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:29 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
looks good and good choice of paint !!!.
Not sure , I am going to revisit it tonight
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I glued the exhausts on and added a bit of carbon exhaust like staining. Still needs more weathering, but, its passable I suppose.

Wanted to test out how they look on the graupner D9 before making a larger set for the ESM. At least with the ESM, there IS a recessed area for the exhausts, so they wont stick out quite so far.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
You know I do think they give the illusion of depth .
I am hoping to get back to mine this weekend before I travel for business .
Kahlog I am going to have to pick your eflight knowledge on the LxP40 , tons of confusing info .
Let me know when you have time and I send you a PM .
Between the KV on motor , the batteryies ect , its really weird stuff , I think LX has the stock motor rated wrong , they said its a 60 but its close to a 90 in KV , so when trying to upgrade to a power 90 it makes no sense , a 110 looks more appropriate
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
You can send me a PM about it or any questions any time. I check rcg everyday usually(except weds)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
I know this is way later .. LDM any progress on your FW ? Mines a PICA but it was Platt before Pica purchased the rights . Here she is on Youtube .. great flier , you won't regret it .
Pica Fockewulf with working exhaust stacks and KMP Hawker Hurricane Watch in HD (6 min 40 sec)
pencon is online now Find More Posts by pencon
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
Pencon, it's funny I watched your video a while back very motivational ! Great job !
My plane is on my board all I need to do is add aileron servo and finishing painting .
It's a winter project because i am working on my LX 80 " P40 .
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Make sure to add the split flaps . Mine weighs over 12 lbs and without the flaps I wouldn't feel that confidant about the landings . With the flaps it floats in solid and steady .Century jet Retracts are still good after all this time . I did have to add a little silicon based oil to swell the seals. They do have a weak point where the oleo attaches so you gotta grease it in nice . I've broken about 4 attachment pins sofar .In these pics the cowl has been repaired after the spinner came loose in flight and ate it .I played around a little with aluminum tape on the leading edge to make it look like a war time repair . The inner panel is actually .025 aluminum sheet .No wonder the thing weighs a ton hey ?
Last edited by pencon; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:26 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
Great build my friend , and yes scroll back a few and I did add the spilt flaps .
Yours is a classic and that is why I want to slow by build down and add some more details .
I have electric retracts but I am sure I will have to eventully go to CJ or spring air 80 degree
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
You'd probably be better off with spring airs. Did you manage to get the electric retracts working ? I saw your post on hobby king and you were having trouble with one . Are they worth buying ? I was thinking about buying a set for my Airkill Macchi c200 kit after I build a new wing for it ..(stock one sucks)
Last edited by pencon; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,022 Posts
I did as the supplier replaced the one free of charge , but they have not been field tested yet .
I do like them and the gear legs are nice especially for he money , just be careful on the weight , I would not go over 14lbs
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Have you painted it yet? Or do you plan a repaint I should say ?Sorry I haven't read the whole thread ..