Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:32 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
Ok , so this is what I have completed over the weekend pics to follow.
Made the retract ply rails and inscribed channels in them so that there is zero chance of friction between the rails and the retract moveing arms and drive train.
2)I used a roto zip bit and carefull removed ribs and parts that needed clearing for the retracts.
3)Next I am useing a contore guage to determine the angle of the rails and new wing ribs that will be made for replacement
4)I will glass the inside wing wheeting and tie in the ribs , sheeting and add ply center section spar to tie the two wings(top /bottom into one .The platt design does not do this and I am sure its ok but with the retracts installed I am not taking chances.
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
well sorry for the slow progress but between chasing a dream "natonal Hockey championship " and work its been slow on the rc .
Now is all done , and progress will speed up
1)ribs removed to allow lateral play rail support
2)glass will be added to tie everything together
3)more work needed to get the right wheel to set lower
4)the key is get the forward rake, get the legs to be lower or flush with the wing sheeting so the doors sit flush , get both legs lined up exactly when looking from the side ,maintain zero binding , and add gear doors with correct offset
5)Carbon fiber will be used to support inside front spar
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
ok , if your back order with these retracts you should know its a crap shoot , one is 100% working , the other has so much slop I doubt it will be usable .
When adjusting the slop there is a set screw that you can turn , any attempt to remove the slop with surgical precision turns will result in a non working retract.
I made small turns and no matter what way and how minor , its simply locks the gear in place .
I feel I am building a great retract support base for retracts that are sure to fail .
I am going to start a new post just on the gear and explane my findings.
The only thing worth the $79 from this hear is the struts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Hmmmm
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
well made some more progress , does not look like much but tons of cutting , measuring , more cutting , sanding , glassing and more cutting , sanding ect .

Also contacted RC Lander on the one gear having slop , they want video so I sent them one and will wait to see there responce , I was very clear in stating the problem.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
From what I understand, the wheel wells have the honey-comb look on the inner half, but not the outer half of the wheel well.

Here's a couple pics on hyperscale model fw-190 d9s. Both show it.

Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:18 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
Thanks that is great , I can copy that . ALos looks like I used the wrong RL-- need to get to the shop
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
wrong RL?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
Yes look at the difference I used RL2 for the wells , its looks off
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
Wll the wing is almost done , now I will finsihed last part of the wells , then cover the wing , sand and details will be added
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Decent picture of how the exhaust stacks should be arranged. A lot of ppl get this wrong...even expert modelers.

On each side, the first TWO stacks are separated from the next THREE and the then the last ONE. There is a bit of metal paneling between the first set of two and the next set of three and again between the set of three and the last stack.

So..like this:
<<I<<<I<

See pic....I had to search a bit to find a photo that showed it properly.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:21 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
yep , I did catch that but this is my challenge
1) I cant get depth from cutting into the fuse or i compromise the forward bulkheads supporting the motor
2) I am trying to see if I can get that effect from a frame however from your good pics , its looks like I need more separation . When I refferanced my pics it look like they were still even in distance from each exaust , yours show more separation as you stated .
3)Do you think I can get that look by simply separating the first two and the last one ?
I dont want to build a boxey structure for depth perception , I think I can get that from painting details
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:23 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,923 Posts
hey the fact that I caught that does that make me an expert lol hahah .