True. Would hate to have to use foam wheels on a heavy 16 pound CMP ME-109
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
Ya , sorry for the delay I am on the West coast for business and did not get to plane at all this weekend .
The guys in the Hobby King P40 thread swear by the strenght of the RC Landers , so maybe I am being to judgemental but only time will tell .
This weekend I will add the williams brother modified Dora wheels and see how the retracts respond
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Nice. Thx. I just finished my CMP Mossie a week ago...and aside from a quick build of an FMS HS-123 and an engine swap/repair of a Fly Fly F-4, im torn on what plane to work on next.......
1)ESM FW-190A8
2)ESM ME-110(partially started)
3)Airworld ME-262(partially started)
4)LX A-10

Partial conundrum....I definitely want the me-110 done by Sept's Warbird over the Rockies, but also would like to have the ME-262. Additonally, the FW-190, Im not sure what motor i want to use. I have electric available, a saito 180 glow, or I could remove a 3cyl radial 170 saito from my ESM B-25.....which still hasnt flown...but with the idea of converting it either to single cyl glow motors for better reliability or completely changing to electric. However, Id want to know how well the ME-110 performs on the g60 electric motors first before deciding on electric for the b-25.
Of course, i still would love to hear the B-25 flying by with both radials humming along.
So I guess for now....the fw-190a8 is not really a build option, except it couldbe changed to a different motor later one if I swapped to electric or single glow motors on the b-25. Gah.....my head hurts now. Too many options LOL!!!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:38 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
You know , I think we were brothers in another life lol .
I have the Platt Dora on my table , the FMS P40 is done just waiting for weather , the CMP Hellcat is started on my work table , motor esc and working on a rare Luke Zolner Interior kit that goes into my Hellcat .
I have a Bear Cat , VQ P40 and Seafury ready to fly all 64" thru 71" , too many kits still in boxes , another KMP Corsair (picked up on a great deal ) CMP 73" p40 , CMP P47 , Spit and Hobby People 64" ARC P51 , the CMP BF109 and the Starmax Skyraider and I am trying to convince my wife that I need the new epo 1/5 scale P40 from Banana Hobby lol .
Oh I forgot , I have the Great Planes F14 ready with tons of mods , just need sanding , covering and its flight ready .
I feel like the Amelda Marcus of rc planes , I need to get working on these projects !!
This is my last year of coaching hockey and we should have been done a week ago but we keep winning !!! So my time is thin between work and the ice but these last days with my 18 year old son have been priceless !
Oh well sorry for the rant , and those that are following the build I promise to get back to work this weekend !!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Hehehehehe something just aint right if you dont have a slew of planes in queue to build lying around and I still want to add MORE. I didnt mention an old Kyosho Piper cub or a 4th CMP 109 or a 90mm F-18 from Banana Hobby............

Trying to convince myself I really dont NEED that Stuka to fill out my Luftwaffe or that gorgeous 50cc 87" ESM ME-109G or the 190 D9 or the DO-335. Yet sometimes they just kinda end up in the shopping cart ROFL.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
352 Posts
Looking forward to the update, cant wait to see you get started on the paint! I need to learn a few things or 12 from you And that spinner does look great, did it come with the striping already done on it like that?

Oh and how do you generally attach the canopy? Im looking for a way to do that with out it being too permanent, but i don't see any easy solution that also give a great fit.
RedTaco is offline Find More Posts by RedTaco
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
kah , if i take a pic of my workshop its an airplane factory lol , my stash is nearing my year to complete vs life expectancy , sad when you start adding planes up that like and I am only 51 lol !!!
RED, I have two major games to coach for ice hockey on Saturday then Sunday serious work on the plane , retracts and everything is here
The stripe was on the spinner , its a great find by Kahlog on is really a rare shape !!!
I typically add my canopys with small screws or 5 min exopxy , others use special canopy glue .
Been peeking in on your P40 , man that is a sweet plane buddy !!! .
Batterys from hobby King are in and now I can see how they will impact the fit and overall weight .

Hey Kahlog , did not know you had 4 Bf109 !!!! , I still did not get to my one lol .
Oh , Sunday new pics on the Pica update , retract review and Williams brother wheels test with the retracts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Well...yes I have actually more then 4 me-109s.....however....you are refering to CMP versions solely I believe.

While I do have a 4th CMP kit still in box, there is a reason. The first one I built long ago suffered a catastrophic "stock" spinner explosion resulting in a tail heavy event which caused the plane to suddently snap stall into the ground.

The 2nd one, after several uneventful flights, the battery packs failed on take off(err should say ONE of the 5s 5000s sagged badly just as the plane lifted off). So.....you guessed it, the plane stalled and went smush. This one had the Gene Barton composite spinner.

The 3rd one...well.....had the motor installed differently since i was using Ty's spinner and it required mouting the e-flite 160 backwards from plane number 2.
On maiden attempt, the motor completely pulled out of the front of the plane about 5 secs after takeoff pulling the esc with it. So...well..yet again you know what would happen if the motor leaves the plane. ironically, the esc, motor, and prop were undamaged. The spinner got dented badly so is useless and obviously the airframe didnt survive.

Now..as for the 4th kit, not really in a hurry to build it and you can guess why LOL. However, if those 80 degree electrics work well for you, then I will get to it and build the 4th and LAST one. If it goes mush, it wont be replaced.

As for what ME-109's I do have(aside from the cmp unbuilt one)....
1)ESM me-109e with e-flite 110
2)ESM me-109e with saito 180
3)Some no longer produce 60 size kit from the UK..has an OS 120
4)Kyosho me-109 with saito 72
5)FMS me-109e-ish with power 46
6)PZ me-109g with e-flite power 25
7)FSK me109g with park 450
8)GWS me109 something or other with park 400

Like you...if i took a pic of my basement, it would look like an airplane hangar with lots of working planes and many restoration projects hanging from the ceiling, sitting on tables, under tables, sitting on empty boxes, you name it.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
Well was working late last night on the project , did a detailed test on the retracts and will post video tonight.
1)Test one is no load -just stock struts
2)with stock wheels
3)with 2.4oz Williams brother wheels
4)with 1.8oz Williams brother wheels
My concern is one of the gear seems to struggle at the top (returing into the wing with no load ) you will see in the Video when I post .
The good news is for $75 delivered they should be good but I may go to a lighter wheel if I can get some scale fedelity at the same time.
The struts are very workable with zero lateral play , simple in assembly , light and appear durable .
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
some pics of the retracts and wheels , plan B will be test a light wheel , something I may be able to modify to look like a Fw190 wheel
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
Fw190 Thick williams brother wheel (0 min 32 sec)

Fw190 no load test.3gp (0 min 52 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
http://youtu.be/7A1tvsv_TDI
second wheel option , lighter but thin
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
FW190 retract wing mod.3gp (0 min 36 sec)

sorry , the last video did not work , this should be the Turnegy /rc lander lifting a Williams brother modified wheel , these are 80 degree
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
I am assuming I will need to bend the axil to keep the wheel straight when extended ?