HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
107 Posts
LDM, I posted a couple pics on your thread on wattfler, I didn't know if you had seen I have started my own thread on this bird. I know there isn't a ton of info on this plane, and I am TRYING a different route as far as battery access and things I thought I would share a link to it
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65647

Us builder kit conversion guys could be documenting some of the last conversions of some of these obsolete kits...

I might add, this kit needs to be full traced and blown up larger.. Its a good design, and I have never heard a single person that has flown it.. and didn't love it !
kitscratchfevr is offline Find More Posts by kitscratchfevr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:15 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
hemi , I was looking at that as my #1 option for retracts , my problem is I have now used eletric retracts the last year and I never want to go back to air . I figure with 80 degree , I can get the look with some tweeks to rails and my wheel thickness and how it will sit in the wing .
If not then I have to resort to the spring air .
For $69 with struts , I could not pass the chance up on the Turnegy retracts from Hobby King (knowing that they are rclander brand ) .
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:19 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Kits , got it buddy , keep posting !! , love to see the progress . Also forgot to menthion to Hemi , I know it does not need flaps , but its just me lol , believe me its kills me that I am not cutting the deck on my canopy , look at my Blog on my FW190 , its a CMP cheapo not a KMP and I cant stop adding to the mods lol .
I am in the last round of sanding and will be painting soon on the Fw190 .
The platt kit is a real gem , I sold mine and regret it but i dont have the time to build from kits , well lets say i did not have the time , next year will be differant .
There are some larger version in ARF from KMP and ESM , but with hefty price tag
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Magnets are now on the hatches , there so tight I can barely open the lid lol , the batterys will be strapped in with velcro straps to the base .
The magnets will simply allow easy access .
The biggest challenge is still the motor shaft , if I use the Kyosho spinner i will be ok , but this new medal spinner seems more appropriate to the monster 110 , if I can not find a solution then I will simply use the Kyosho .
The easy option is to attempt to change out the prop shaft with a smaller shaft that has the 4 universal screws that fit the monster 110 , or attempt to tap the monter 110 prop shaft to adapt the spinner bolt directly but that means getting a tap dead center and that will not be an easy task .
I was amazed that in all my fuel engines how small the prop shafts are , I am thing at looking in the gas engine but G26 even has a smaller shaft then the monster 110 , funny thing is even my Giant Turengy motors that are equal to 4 stroke 150 have smaller shafts then then Monster 110 , I tried switching them over but the screw holes are differant
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,124 Posts
Check out cb model, at the pottom of the page they have all kinds of adapter nuts for spinners

http://www.mecoa.com/cb/spinners.htm

One of these days soon I plan to start my Platt 190, need to figure out what landing gear to use first
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:28 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Thanks Ken will do , the retracts that are perfact are defintly spring air with Lenny Shindig struts , but i did not want to go air so i am trying the $69 Turengy From Hobby King at 80 degrees , I may add Lenny struts but we will see .
The Sping air and Lennys struts combined will run you about $180 , I will keep you posted as soon as I get my gear if they dont look scale or standoff scale , then I am going with the Spring Air
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
107 Posts
It could be worse, a buddy of mine has 2 FW 190's that are Meister scale..I think he has about 4 grand in those long grasshopper legs !
kitscratchfevr is offline Find More Posts by kitscratchfevr
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
ya my FW190 Sierra gear is $350 !!!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Cut the flaps out , it was much easier then expected and the joints were all glued unlike your typical ARF , this builder was good !!!
Anyone that can share some advice I cant tell if the wheels go into the center section but that is a major scale bash if that is correct
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For the monster 110 prop shaft, you can contact tur-turn. Tell them what you need, what motor and the fact that the prop shaft diameter is pretty big. If I remember right, its 10 or 12mm. So, you'd need an adapter that casn screw on over top of that which is then tapped for the bolt thru the middle(usually a 10/32 size bolt).
Tru turn will ask you to mail them the prop shaft adapter from the monster motor. Thats not a big deal as its pretty light.

This is the whole reason I opted NOT to use my monster power 110 on my graupner 190 d9. The Tacon 110 has a motor shaft of 8mm which works with the grub screw version of the prop shaft adapter that is for the e-flite power 110/160.
I just wish these chinese companies would get it thru their heads to have the prop shaft adapters that they fit to these "clone" motors already be tapped for a bolt thru spinner.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:31 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
Thanks K , that is exactly what I did but True Turn is so good that they actually have a stock shaft that goes in place of the monster shaft and is pretapped for the bolt .
I was amazed on how difficult this part of the project was , I was thinkin that I would really be limited in props and I wanted options .
So I called the tech person at TT yesterday , they gave me the part I needed and its on its way .
I am still being held hostage by Hobby King lol , two weeks to process my order sitting in the warehouse , batterys and 80 degree eletric retracts .
I like hobby king and I am a platimum member but this is dragging on , I certainly understand Chinese New Year and I understand the impact , the culture ect as we imports over 120 mil from China , this is simply poor management
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
There have been times when I wondered whether or not an order from HK would ever arrive(like 3-4 weeks and still no box) and others thats its arrived 6 days later and I hadnt even paid for faster shipping.

I think a lot of it is due to customs on either end of the water even if its supposed to be sent via air parcel.
If an order is held within the warehouse, are you sure part of your order didnt include an out of stack backordered item? If so, HK holds the entire order until that backorder comes back in stock.
Ive had it happen once or twice where when I ordered something, it said it was still in stock, but checking a day later, the product was out of stock. Hence why an order may be held up. Just a thought.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
yes ,thanks , and no never , ever ever never do I order a back order item how is that for certainty lol ?
I know better , all of my items are in stock , were in stock , I am simply being held hostage .
I know imports , we do $120 million a year from China alone , I understand CNY and this is simply poor management due to want to increasing profits by not adding labor to compensate for the time off for CNY , its really that simple .
Love the price , been happy with the quality but I dont know if I will order from them again .
I have ordered from HobbyParts with much better servace .
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Hobbypartz is decent on some things. They are a subsidiary of Nitroplanes.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
yes for batterys they are great and when they deliver the communication is fantastic