7,758 Posts
home made mount will do the job just fine
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
The kyosho spinner should be ok. You running electric not using a starter on the spinner to turn over a glow motor. Even though the 110 has loads of power, the vibration is significantly less. Only way to know is mount it, spin up the motor and note any vibrations if any. You can try to balance it. I had another Skyshark 3 blade fw 190d9 spinner, but it was way out of balance out of the package and I couldnt get it to work.....so thats why I only have one usuable and that one is fine(will be going on ESM FW-190A here shortly).

As for spare parts offered by great planes. May be close to scale size for the Pica/platt....but not for the graupner d9 I have which is several inches bigger wingspan wise.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have another option for you. It is still two blade, but check it out....anodized black with the spiral already painted on it. Cost is only $27 too for the 3" size. They have a larger 4.5", but thats too big for your plane.

http://www.sdshobby.net/cnc-3-specia...ck-p-5653.html
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:04 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
Thanks buddy , great tips and link .Do you really think the Kyosho spinner will hold ?
I also will buy the new spinner on that site , its too good to pass up
Thanks again
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I ran the kyosho spinner on a 500kv motor on both 5s and 6s with a 13x8 3 blade prop.
rpm at 5s (no load) = 10250
rpm at 6s (no load) = 12300

295kv monster power on 8s (no load) = 9676

Obviously the difference with the larger motor is the ability to spin a much larger prop with a higher pitch. The plane will fly faster even with a lower rpm...so yea the spinner will be fine.

Loaded rpm, you'll see roughly 7000.
So lets just for giggles say you ran a 20x10 2 blade Like i do on many of my 8s setups. You'll see a static speed of 70 mph. Once it unloads a bit, you'll see about 80.
Using a 18x12, you'd see 75-80 static and about 85 once it unloads some. My little 57" size kyosho fw-190A was doing about 65 with an 8 pitch on that 500kv 5s setup max throttle.

Either way...it should be fine...if not...since your getting the aluminum one.....as long as its not out of balance badly, you'll be A OK
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
Thanks great info , I getting the aluminum one as a back up for two blade props and the Kyosho one will be my three blade prop .
I have been busy with work and hockey , getting back to the plane this weened .
All set with the motor mount , still debating wingspan models 85 degree retracts with SHindin struts , wingspan had some bad boards so I was on hold to see when the dust clears if there worth purchasing
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
Well finally got some work done on this plane today.
Waiting for the batterys and retracts .
The biggest challenge and I expected it to be was getting the bolts on the back of the firewall.
This was normally as easy task but because of the bolts clashing with existing fuel engine rails it meant drilling , sanding ect
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
Kahlog , do you know any background on the sds hobby ?
I know its Chinese New Year but my concern is that my order for my FW190 spinner does not even show as an order and they dont recognize me with my account info.
Seems like disorganized company ?
I am in no rush , just dont want my credit card exposed globally so I am going to check with my card company
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I have not done business with SD hobby personally yet. There are some ppl on rcu that say they have this spinner though.
Send them an email and ask. Im not sure what else to say. If the CC has been charged and you dont receive the item in a few weeks, then get the CC company involved.
Im betting they have a rather large backlog of orders since they ewere on Chinese new year for quite some time as you said.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
No problem , just wondering .
Still trying to figure our my retracts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,195 Posts
LOL!
About the website selling that purty spiraled spinner...

check out this pic for a model they're selling from the ARF bin:

Something ain' quite kosher, and it's not in the nose end! Maybe the Chinese have figured out a better idea on how to mount stabs and elevators!
http://www.sdshobby.net/su-3125-rc-n...ane-p-437.html
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,844 Posts
OK.. whatever advert oddities blows your jets
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:00 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
kahlog ,they responded today and said the Spinner is on order and was ordered correctly , so far so good .
I am starting to cut the flaps in while waiting for the batterys to arrive . I know I am going to need some options on moveing the batterys back off the firewall guesstimating that CG will not be difficult to achive based on the somewhat long nose .
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
well finally has time to get back and as little and mundane as it appears it was about 4 hours worth of work lol .
1) i need to cut a opening in the second internal fuse support to allow access for batterys to move aft and to allow the batterys to fit . Ok challenge one is that it was balsa over a thick ply former , even my dremil could not get into the slot .
I had to cut a hole and then gradually grind the openeing .
2)Challenge two was that the existing servo rails would place the servos in a position to block the batterys from sliding back .The servos had to be turned on there side .
3)Challenge three was that the original builder solder the clevises on , so if you simple try to turn them the dowels would bind .
4)so the solution was cut the original clevises off , solder on new end that would allow adjustments without binding , then add plastic tubes on the existing pushrods at all friction points .
So a night of cutting , soldering , glueing , all for what should have been drop in servos !!!
Well with the exception of a simple battery tray and reinforceing the battery /firwall box the fuse is done and will be preped for repainting .
Now onto the wing , will be cutting in flaps and retracts , yippie wonder whats in store for me
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,739 Posts
I have the Platt Dora powered by a 61FX. Hands down this is the best flying warbird I've owned. If you want to save the trouble, you really don't need the flaps. Mine floats right on in to a beautiful two point landing with a nice roll out.

Retracts are on my plate too. I'm going to go with a set of Spring Air 74* units with some Shindin struts. Need to get that gear angle right or it won't look like a Focke Wulf.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member