HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,221 Posts
What's the story about HK cut-off?
BTW, the HK US wharehouse has lots of batteries in stock now, and they have been shipping pretty quick.
tlh101 is online now Find More Posts by tlh101
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I just checked and can order just fine from hobbyking's international website.

LDM are you refering to HK being closed for Chinese New Year later in January?
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:27 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
No, due to new USA Internatioal security laws you can not get batterys over a certain size from HK Internatioal .
So you can not combine with other items when ordering from them as you could in the past,
THL101- , yes my post #15 is refferanceing finding those batterys in the USA warhouse .
When the change first occured I was unable to get what I wanted from HK-USA so I went to HobbyParts . I prefer Hobby King to Hobby Parts and it appears that HK uSA will be in stock as you stated
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
No, due to new USA Internatioal security laws you can not get batterys over a certain size from HK Internatioal .
So you can not combine with other items when ordering from them as you could in the past,
THL101- , yes my post #15 is refferanceing finding those batterys in the USA warhouse .
When the change first occured I was unable to get what I wanted from HK-USA so I went to HobbyParts . I prefer Hobby King to Hobby Parts and it appears that HK uSA will be in stock as you stated
Hmmmm I had no problem adding 2x 4s 5000 nanotech batteries, a turnigy G160 outrunner, and 20 servos to cart and then going thru checkout at Hk's international site and i was logged in, had shipping info , etc. Only thing i didnt do was actually submit payment.

However, even if I was only able to buy batts and not have anything else in the box, Id still buy my batts from HK.
Last edited by kahloq; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Interesting , so you can buy the batterys alone but not as a combo , wow that is wierd because i was told it was due to security ?
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I was able to have a large 160 size outrunner and 20 servos in with the same shipment as the 2x 4s 5000's without any issue or messages stating they couldnt do so.

Last time I bought batts was a month ago and I bought 4x 5s 5000's and had misc other stuff in the box as well.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Kahlog and whom ever would like to chime in , I am sorry to be a nat , I took one last look at the spec after removeing the fuel engine rails .
Total airframe with existing robart wheels and heavy duty non retracting gear legs =
6 Lbs 21oz
Retracts will average 8oz a piece so lets say 1.5 lbs
ok so far -lets round up 8 lbs -with no power
Adding the Monster 110 and the esc =26oz for a total of 9 lbs 10 oz
Each battery is about 21oz =42oz in total
for a total of
11lbs--20 oz .
Are these numbers ok for the over optimum power to weight ratio ?
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Your weight will be ok. I have a VQ p-40 at almost 11 pounds dry(saito 100) and it flies fine and has a bit smaller wingspan then your D9. With flaps, it lands ok.

Also have a fiberglass Kyosho corsair at 58" that weighs 10.5 pounds on 6s. Flies great, but it does land hot because it doesnt have flaps.

One last note.....I rechecked what was on my graupner d9 and its actually the Tacon 110 from hobbypartz. It has an 8mm motor shaft so can use the e-flite prop shaft adapters I mentioned above. However, the Monsterpower 110 has a 10mm motor shaft so it cannot. I appologize for the mix up.

Right now, hobbypartz has the tacon 110 on sale for $44.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m607-big...325-295kv.html

If you can get a spinner that isnt bolt thru the middle then using your monsterpower110 will still work. Or you can talk to tru turn about getting a prop shaft adapter for monster's bolt on propshaft adapter in the kit. It is probably 12mm, while the motor shaft itself is 10mm. Ive done that before I think. They just want you to mail the propshaft adapter to them to get the pitch right for the shaft adapter used to screw onto the the existing one to run a bolt thru spinner.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:19 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Great info , thanks again , I am going to use the monster 110 as planned , and the two 4s5000 packs in a series as you suggested.
I am waiting for my Kyosho spinner to arrive . I am looking at bolt on options as you stated , if it's not possible with that spinner I will use the skyshark one and call true turn
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Are you getting the Kyosho spinner thats for their Fw-190A8? If so, I had that plane and if memory serves, it is NOT a bolt thru the middle, but a 2 screw design...so you should have no issues using it.

Their TA-152 also uses a similar shaped spinner.

Where did you order the spinner from? I might have use for it on a Mossie as they are kinda similar shape.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
yes that is the one , I needed an uncut version so I have the option for a three blade vs a two , being uncut it will give me options .
I posted in RCU , Warbirds asking for a source because the Kyosho is useless , the guy sold it to me new for $20 including shipping .
If you need one I can email him for you , he said he had two but I think the other one is cut for a two blade , just let me know , its the leaste i can do for all the help you have provided .
Thanks again
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
hmmm 2 blade. I dunno. Total of $40 for both. I already have some aluminum 3 blade spinners that are the right size, just not the right scale shape I was going to use if i couldnt find anything else. These are not normal long pointy spinners like FAE100 or even spitfire-esque, but they are still pointy as they were designed for a p-38(which are short, but pointy spinners).

Think Ill pass, but you may want to think about getting a spare for yourself just in case.

Actually....If i were going to use other spinners Skyshark has those fw190 D9 2 blades at 3.3" which are dead on diameter wise for what I need, but I wasnt wanting to use 2 blade props. The problem is, Skyshark is not making these anymore and only selling what inventory they have. I have one of the 3 blade versions. If i had another, thats what Id use instead.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:46 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
I have the skyshark on my 71" Fw190 , love the spinner , it has the correct look but its two blade .
I figure when the Kyosho gets here I can decide on the three blade prop , having some trouble matching your suggestions with a suppler so I may end up with a 2 blade .
In case you need parts for a Dora , Great planes still has some stock , I picked up a few parts for this plane , not exactly the correct scale but close enought
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:23 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
I will probably make my own motor assembly because I onlt need about 3/4" form firewall to clearing the cowl and most assemblys for this size motor (110) are larger then that even in there most compressed setting .
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:30 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Ok made some progress , also made a home made standoff and reinforced inside firewall .(not seen in the pics)
Spinner arrived but looks like it may not handle the 110 , its a Kyosho and looks great and I can run a three blade on but again dont know about the strength .
I could glass the inside for reinforcement .