HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:32 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,587 Posts
You've picked a difficult livery there Ldm, but so far so good. It will be worth it because those Germans sure knew how to paint their planes.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:38 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
Thanks Kai, its nice to get some feedback !
Its actually a FW190 scheme from a Galland color pattern used on one of his FW190 .
FRom what I could find , its been used on the Dora more then then Fw190 but considering I was not going for scale competition , I wanted one that shows the lines of the Dora vs hiding them in darker colors
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:20 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
looking good
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:58 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
THanks Kahlog , worked on it some more last night , was side tracked helping someone in the P40 thread making a replacement part for one lost in flight .
Will be back on this full time until all the details are done
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Nice. Im almost done with the BH Stuka. While I have the DO-335 on the bench and all parts ready to start it, I've been distracted by watching too many Terminator movies recently(AMC channel has been showing all of them lately).

This has now rekindled my desire to build an HK (hunter-killer). Plus I saw a video of some guy in Russia having done the two turbo fan design and I just had to do my own...except it'll be the 3 fan A8M Aerial HK heavy assault model version seen at the beginning of T3. The tiny HK-drone shares the same layout which was seen near the end of the movie which was designed and built by the US Airforce after having purchased Cyberdyne.

Here is link to the short thread with a couple vids of the Russian guy's version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739605

Below is a couple pics of what I will be trying to accomplish.
As a note...this thing will NOT be small. To get an idea of size...the turbo fan ductings will be made using Home Depot 5 gal buckets as a base and using motors spinning 11x7 3 blade props...basically a shrouded rotor design.

Feel free to comment in this thread that I am starting:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post23197658
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:47 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
Dude !!! I downloaded that exact model "flying " in the FMS thread lol .
I thought that was so cool , but when I introduced into the next "FMS Plane" thread , it was like I introduced a hot women at a Richard Simons sweaten to the oldies class lol !!!
No response , not even a "hey that is cool"lol !!!
I would love to see you build that sucker , I stumbled onto that video when looking at Rc planes .
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
by the way the "Dude" part was for humor , we are both toooooo old for that term !!! hahah
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,587 Posts
Be young again. Just for 3.5 mins
mott the hoople - All the young dudes (3 min 25 sec)
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:17 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
lol
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Dude.....Im soooooo going to get started on the HK aerial as soon as the motors arrive. Might take me awile...but....I think everyone will be like HOLY SH.. when they see the size when its done.

It'll be big enough to actually carry real ordinance(although not like super large stuff)...plus that would be illegal.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:21 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
you going for the same size as in the U-tube video ?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Umm....when Im done with it, that thing in the youtube video will look small.

From wingtip to wingtip.....errr...ummm.. rotor housing to rotor housing across the vehicle.......Im expecting about 8 feet wide. I doubt the one in the youtube video is any bigger then 3-4 feet across if that.

The home depot buckets alone are 12" wide....so those alone are 2 feet.

Because of the size, I my need to hide a couple of extra fan units inside the "wing-pylons" just for lift. Wont know till I get the thing framed up and the electronics installed. I wont be covering it or adding ANY scale shapes and details until Ive got the thing actually capable of flying. I should have a rough fuse section and center wing areas somewhat done in maybe 2 weeks. I'll then need to add the anhedral wingtips plus the homer buckets with motors and build out a dual boom tail section.

Before even trying to test fly the basic setup, Ill be setting up s much smaller y-frame tricopter but with ducted fans to test control ability with tilting the forward two ducts.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For size illustration....these are the two forward ducted rotors with the framed up wingtips. The center wing area I will be starting soon.

I will need to add a good amount of metal reinforcement bars, plates, etc to hold the weight of the bucket, motor, and servo mechanisms for tilt.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
that is sick !!!!
I cant wait to see this thing get together , so what is the motivation ?
Were you hooked on the movie ?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I've had the idea and kinda built it in my head for a couple years and started something, but never finished just cuz a lot german planes started showing up on the market.

When I saw that youtube video of the one from Russia, it brought my ideas back to the forefront, although I had never considered something so big until recently.

Ive always loved the Tedrminator movies, especially the future scenes with skynet and it's machines