HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Whilst waiting for the motors to arrive (received confirmation that they will be shipping today) i done some work on the hatch using 1/16th balsa. final filling/sanding will be done at the end.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Whilst still waiting for parts to arrive, decided to do some work on the hatch for access to the EDF's.

Made some 1/8" formers duplicating profiles of F8 and F9 and cut to fit over EDF's then running stingers down the length of the fuselage, CAing ( is that a word??)in place. Carefully i then cut through stringers releasing hatch skeleton and skinning with 3mm depron.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:22 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
wow..
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:41 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,844 Posts
Nice work on those hatches Dom.

What fan/motors are you going with?
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks Boogie.

Fan units are the E-flite Delta V-15:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLDF15

Itís designed for the E-flite BL15 (or the other way round) but at a cost of over £50.00 each, decided to look for an alternative motor. The one Iíve selected is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18543

Hereís a little comparison list of the motors i looked at (as per data displayed with motors):
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Received the motors, Turnigy L2855-2800, and after a small mod to the fan casing for the wires they fit perfectly.

Wish I could say the same for the fuselage though: With the cone on the rear of the motor they are just too big to fit. Tried every way possible but they just donít fit. Only two options available;

1) Remove the rear offending former and create larger hatch.
2) Remove the cone on the rear of motor casing.

Closer inspection of the casing makes me think it is a press fit, anyone know? Failing that I will have to spin the casing up on a lathe and cut it off.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:58 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Sorted, cones unscrew, held with thread-lock and threaded anti-clockwise. Dropped in nicely now.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
OOOOOooohhh
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:29 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Help needed!!!

Well guys, Iím a little stumped at the moment with mounting the Fan units, thought I had it sorted but alas no. Thought by attaching a thrust tube this would resolve it, probably would normally but as the exit hole is the same diameter as the Fan unit I canít slide it back allowing the fan to fit.

This is where I need some help; studying the plans I can see the Fan unit is wrapped in 1/64Ē ply and there are some ply rings that fit either end, pictures attached. Can anyone tell me how this is being held into place? The Womtec mini Fan has mounting lugs same as mine but on the original plans there are no rails showing as I added to mount mineÖ.. Iím confusedÖ. Only thing I can think of is that it glued in place but then how do I remove for maintenance?

Any help would be appreciated please as I canít continue until this is resolved.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
After some thought and studying the drawings the only solution I could think of was to wrap EDF in 1/64 ply and use 1/16 or 1/8 ply rings either end. Retention would be using half circles, one for the EDF to seat onto and the other over lapping to stop tube falling out. Not show yet will be a small lug at the top of EDF rings for the use of a small screw to nip the rings close up to fire wall, hopefully preventing air leaks. Mounting lugs on EDF will still screw down onto bearers. Might need to remove the skin off the top so I can access inside, last thing I want I to glue half circles in the wrong place and the skin will be easily replaced.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Theory into practice...

Have a few minutes before popping out for a while: It works so far, simple ideas work bestÖ well, nearly always anyway. Had a little problem removing units as thereís nothing to get hold of so will fix some kind of ribbon cradle to lift out with. Just need to make rings now but that will have to wait a little while.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:30 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
yippeeee!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Just what i thought myself when it fitted in
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,460 Posts
Beautiful build. I'm really impressed with the quality of construction.

Dennis
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino