HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:18 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,251 Posts
Another reason for rudders.They could save your plane in the unlikely event of a failure in one fan.Much better to bring it home on one using rudders to correct than cutting both and having to glide in.What do you think Rich?
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
I dont think you'll have much of a problem with assymetric thrust if you lose a fan as the exhausts are so close together, but i agree with adding rudders, better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

The build is looking great.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:52 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Nice project, subbed.

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:17 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Advice headed, rudders there will be
been a busy week but just a few photos of the work started on boons.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
to save weight, just power the rudders with one servo. then you run a torque tube between the two rudders on ball links. the powered rudder operates the other rudder via the torque tube. if you aren't worried about weight, go for one per surface, but the other way described works equally well.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks Rich, wouldn't have thought of using just one Servo, was going to install one each in the boons forward of CG but One sounds good.

Progress so far, boons slotted and tacked in place, carbon rod under the boons are to keep boons straight and are only taped in place. I lowered the elevator by 15mm in relation to the plans, this will allow for the fairing as in pic 4.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
ich bauen groŖ modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
looking real sweet Domll i wanna see this thing in person!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
lookin really good.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:28 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Well, after taking a break for a few weeks, mainly down to losing all the data on my HDD, Iím back on the build.
Just a note on some who may not be aware: If you are relying on Windows7 to automatically do all your backups, please be sure that it is. I set mine to do just that but after picking up a virus causing the need for a new install I discovered that I had no backup and lost everythingÖ years of pictures, files, programmes and plans, still cringe when I realise something else that has been lost. After doing a Web search, discovered that this is a fault in windows7, I now rely on separate software to do all my backups.
Anyway moving on, elevator is now located in place with a 9g servo under a servo cover for easy removal should there be any problems. The EDF tubing directly fore and aft of the EDF unit has given me a headache but now think I have come up with a solution, this will be the next task as I canít continue properly until that is done.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
ich bauen groŖ modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
you gonna make the wings foldable ?
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
No, although i know it can be done and has been, think it was a Sea fury, will stick with removable outer wings for ease.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:27 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
After afew cardbroad mocks, this is the method i settled on for mounting units:

1) Using plasti-card i cut three strips of 8mm and two of 15mm (per EDF).

2) Using 15mm strip, linned the inside of EDF trimming at the point they meet and temp fixing using tape.

3) With the 8mm strips, wrap them round the top outer edge of the first ring made keeping them flush to the edge.

4) Taking the last 15mm strip wrap this around so that the bottom edge lines up with the bottom edge of the 8mm rings.

Remove from the EDF, should just slide out then slot into the opening of the ducting. EDF unit now just slides into the shroud when placed onto the bearers.
Rear duct will be installed as per the E-flite F-86 Sabre, should give a nice smooth exit.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:24 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
As much as i like seeing the internal structure thought it time to start getting some covering on.
First i layed some depron on and she seemed flat, none of those nice curves you see from photos. After pinning some 1.5mm carbon rods to helping me identify location of the curves i discovered that the 'humps' than make the shape for the turbine ducts were either none existent or in the wrong place. Little bit of modifying and i had them were they were needed.
After adding some balsa strings to aid skin fixing, two panels were added just on the inside of boons. then center peice added alway to the rear with some over hang for trimming. Last, distictive duct skins.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:47 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Very nice.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:39 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks Phil, working on the boons today.