HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
thanks Thnilsen, know the one you mean, infact it was that issue that got me looking at a Sea Vixen build. first i was going to attempt 90inch span, only until i started did i realise how big she was going to be, totally different when you see a 3D model apposed to 2D drawings. neadless to say i bottled out and i'm were i am now.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
are those rods gonna run right through your ducting? if so, you'll lose a small percentage of thrust, but the upside is that you are gonna get a nice whooshing sound from the rods. that'll give you a nice jet-like doppler sound as it's flying by. |

Rich
Now i know were you coming from
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...chanism&page=8
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it doesn't really matter where the rods are in the duct work. if they are in front or out back, you still lose a bit of total thrust. the intake side produces some of the thrust, so losses mount up there too. I don't think it's anything to worry about for you though. you are talking about a lot of thrust in a fairly light airframe. if there are rods in the back, I'de leave those there too.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:57 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Subbed
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:57 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Nose assembly

Started with the nose assembly today, think i have enough 'kit' of parts to begin. hopfully the pictures explain all:

1) Parts: retract box, F2,3,4 and ply parts for said formers. 4x 10mm bearers and finally crutch. Note F2 and 3 have extra bearer holes cut, not a mistake but will be explained later.

2) Slide F2 and 3 onto crutch also ply parts onto retract box.

3) now slide ply assembly into the crutch assembly. Making sure all is square, CA the depron formers to the crutch were they touch, little kicker to speed things up.

4) Remove box and epoxy ply parts into place, i used 30min epoxy allowing time to set everything in place.

5) Slide box back into position also slide the four bearers in place, this will aline all the parts. using my fav method, pegs, clamp the ply to depron.

6) slide out the bearers and box as i don't want them accidently glued in place yet.

7) When set bearers slipped back in. As mentioned earlier, these are extra bearers with the intention of fitting a steerable e-flite retractable nose gear later... funds permitting.

8) Second set of bearers located showing a fixed gear retract inplace. Again these can be cut out when steerable gear available.

9) Just the rest to do now
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:45 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Joining Nose to Fuselage

Simple jig,MDF board and two scraps of depron CA'd to board using pieces of depron to space. keal of fuselage sits in slot propped either side to keep level. To straighten fuselage prior to glueing, pieces of depron slotted in groove with scrap 1/16" ply strips clamped useing Fav pegs...who needs a dinning table anyway
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
Albyone
Italia, Lombardia, Monza
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
WOW! I love this model!

This is my model! http://albyone.altervista.org/modelli/DH110.html
Ciao

Albyone

DH110 029 (2 min 38 sec)
albyone is offline Find More Posts by albyone
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Albyone, the wow should be from me, very nice.. love the constructionand red bull scheme...not for getting the video. How long ago did you build her?
Last edited by domll; Jan 15, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
have you got any lans i love this plane
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,866 Posts
Looks like a great start on a beautiful model Dom.

Yours is awesome too Albyone.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
can i be cheeky and ask you to also post this build on my site
http://nutsaboutrc.freeforums.org/index.php
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Boogie- thanks, hope it remains that way

K.smith459- Are you asking me or Albyone for plans? I do have plans, purchased from PN.designs mentioned in my first post, so unable to post as all rights remain with Philip Noel, sorry.
Will see what i can do with posting on your site.

Formers all now glued in place and taking shape.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
thanks
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Albyone
Italia, Lombardia, Monza
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domll View Post
Albyone, the wow should be from me, very nice.. love the constructionand red bull scheme...not for getting the video. How long ago did you build her?
I built this model two years ago. It took me two months. The model is depron and balsa. Two 50mm fans. I have no drawings. I used this to attach

Ciao

Albyone
albyone is offline Find More Posts by albyone
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:13 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Some more, if not small progress made. Started to look at the mounting of EDF's but need to get some supplies of 1/64" ply for ducting. Also working on the hatches required for gaining access to fans, little thought needed here: Can't butt the casing upto former as the spinner stricks the carbon rod running through, going to have to extend duct into hatch area pushing fan back. just need to work ou sealing fan to duct.
Up front also working on hatch, this will run from F2 to F5 so plenty of access, a little stringering done to check shape but not yet glued in.