SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Won't work with an EasyStar, because you'd need a much bigger prop, a much lighter model structure and the last thing you'd want is an offset thrust axis.

Jürgen
Alright, first one to give an EZ vertical performance forward and backwards like the model in the video gets $20 from my paypal account

"(That) won't work..." statements are dangerous
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
or air brakes like Bugs bunny.. but yes reverse thrust may have done it.
Along with flaps, why not add an emergency chute. It would certainly slow down forward motion like a reverse thrust.

It could also be used to for a softer landing when a plane spirals out of control.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:25 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Alright, first one to give an EZ vertical performance forward and backwards like the model in the video gets $20 from my paypal account

"(That) won't work..." statements are dangerous
$20 sounds very mean. Let's make it $500.-

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Along with flaps, why not add an emergency chute. It would certainly slow down forward motion like a reverse thrust.

It could also be used to for a softer landing when a plane spirals out of control.

Vince
This was successfully done in the 2011 thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post19132792
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,518 Posts
Quote:

Jürgen
pdidddy is a struggling student, supported in his endeavours by the taxpayers (well, the American ones, anyway). You surely woudlnt want him to be frittering away the taxpayers money on a wager, would you?

Though by the 'let's make it $500' it sounds like you are offering to put up the prizemoney......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,571 Posts
Quote:

Vince
I tried something like that on a glider so I could get it down in smaller areas. The chute was about 12" dia attached to a 9' span model weighing about 5lbs. When I deployed it at about 6' altitude the model almost stopped dead stalled and crashed. End of experiment. I later developed a technique of spiraling down and pulling up into wind at the right moment and stalling it about a foot up resulting in a pancake landing which made the wings flex alarmingly . For landings in confined spaces flaps are the thing.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
pdidddy is a struggling student, supported in his endeavours by the taxpayers (well, the American ones, anyway). You surely woudlnt want him to be frittering away the taxpayers money on a wager, would you?

Though by the 'let's make it $500' it sounds like you are offering to put up the prizemoney......
Anybody with a basic understanding of physics will quickly realise, that it is impossible to fly VPP like in subject video with an offset drive system like on the EasyStar.

Here is an example of a bigger 3D VPP model:

Markus Rummer VPP (3 min 47 sec)

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:

Jürgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Thank you, Colonel, for understanding! I don't have $500 for myself, let alone anyone else. Besides, I'd probably need that money for a (single) textbook next year, anyway!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I tried something like that on a glider so I could get it down in smaller areas. The chute was about 12" dia attached to a 9' span model weighing about 5lbs. When I deployed it at about 6' altitude the model almost stopped dead stalled and crashed. End of experiment. I later developed a technique of spiraling down and pulling up into wind at the right moment and stalling it about a foot up resulting in a pancake landing which made the wings flex alarmingly . For landings in confined spaces flaps are the thing.

Terry
Too bad it didn't work out for you. Sounds like it worked like an emergency break. I was thinking of something that would just slow the plane down to keep it from crashing head on into a fence or something.

Maybe using a chute with openings or a streamer to create just enough drag to reduce forward motion and impact energy.

Vince
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
This was successfully done in the 2011 thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post19132792
So I see. Thanks for the link.

I wasn't thinking about needing a chute at high altitudes for the EZ. I would just glide it down. Now if the plane was big and heavy and would fall out of the sky if it lost it's engine then I would want something to cushion the crash landing.

I was envisioning a drag chute similar to the Space Shuttle at landings. Just something to slow it down enough to keep it from going too far and hitting something.

Vince
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
The problem with the chute is it will again slow the plane down till you reach stall speed and fall out of the sky. It works on the space shuttle only after its wheels are on the ground. I still think Eckace should just try flying into a nice soft volleyball net.
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
The problem with the chute is it will again slow the plane down till you reach stall speed and fall out of the sky. It works on the space shuttle only after its wheels are on the ground. I still think Eckace should just try flying into a nice soft volleyball net.
OK. I like the idea of a net to save it from a hard hit.

I still say that a chute on the tail would work. If you are only a few feet above the ground when deployed there is not much height to fall from.

The chute would not be used for all landings. Only the ones that are fast or too hot to land in the remaining safe zone.

Vince
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
OK. I like the idea of a net to save it from a hard hit.

I still say that a chute on the tail would work. If you are only a few feet above the ground when deployed there is not much height to fall from.

The chute would not be used for all landings. Only the ones that are fast or too hot to land in the remaining safe zone.

Vince
Go for it! Don't forget to post pictures.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
YAY Gene- earned his beer !
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
YAY Gene- earned his beer !
You think that really makes a difference? I'm inclined to think he would have drank one anyway