Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Great flight digitalcam.....

We are so lucky here in Iowa that we haven't had any regulations or laws regarding RC flight yet... I fly my EZ*almost anywhere I think I can land.. I have had cops stop and watch when I was flying from a small park in the middle of the city- We just need to be careful and keep it that way- I still need to work on my spiral down tight area landings as you will see here..lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFl_6E6r8g
isnt that steeper approach ,can the reverse thrust make the craft stop before hitting the fence???????
or can use variable pitch motor ,but have to use fifth servo and to setup the radio in heli mode
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
isnt that steeper approach ,can the reverse thrust make the craft stop before hitting the fence???????
or can use variable pitch motor ,but have to use fifth servo and to setup the radio in heli mode
My property is only 60' wide with fences on both sides so ya it was a steep glide.
If you can find a variable pitch motor I think that would work the best.AXI used to sell one for an indoor flat foamy.
Not sure how you would program the radio throttle stick as it would need to be about 1/3 up to be in the off position then pull back 1/3 for reverse if your going to use an esc with reverse.

Also my plane was very nose heavy with 6oz of cameras so that increased its speed
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
My property is only 60' wide with fences on both sides so ya it was a steep glide.
If you can find a variable pitch motor I think that would work the best.AXI used to sell one for an indoor flat foamy.
Not sure how you would program the radio throttle stick as it would need to be about 1/3 up to be in the off position then pull back 1/3 for reverse if your going to use an esc with reverse.

Also my plane was very nose heavy with 6oz of cameras so that increased its speed
i do fly heli so that is not a big deal but than dont need to use esc with reverse ,only the throttle hold
i had use while ago variable pitch motors from HK for my tricopter but there pitch slider are very flimsy
just wanted to know anyone tried this side
i will come up with somthing workable
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:32 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
If you use reverse thrust to enable you to make steeper approaches, then aren't you slowing it down? Suppose you're able to dive at a 20 degree angle at 30mph, or at a 40 degree angle at 30mph with reverse thrust. The model would have been going faster without the reverse thrust, so didn't you just slow it down?
I was referring to horizontal speed or actual landing speed. Once on the ground, reverse thrust can shorten your landing distance, especially on ice or snow.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,070 Posts
So with reverse thrust, You can only fly as slow as just above the stall speed. It would be the same as pulling up the nose to slow down.
Flaps will slow it down as with the flaps down, the lift increases and the stall speed is less.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Not really, because the blades used vor VPP are usually symmetrical, i.e. they would not be as efficient as a standard prop in normal flight.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
So with reverse thrust, You can only fly as slow as just above the stall speed. It would be the same as pulling up the nose to slow down....
The minimum speed is determined by max. lift and weight. On 3D capable models, hanging on the prop will have the same effect as reduced weight, but for the EasyStar, this is pretty irrelevant.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The minimum speed is determined by max. lift and weight.

Jürgen
Yea. That's right. So a lighter model will have a slower stall speed.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
You got it!

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
You can't slow down a model airplane by using thrust reverse, but you can use it for steeper approaches.

Jürgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
So what does it do to help with steeper approaches if it's not slowing the approach down?
Quote:
Jurgen, you're flying along with your Rookie while sipping a fine German beer in your backyard. Your lovely wife Wilhelmina yells out the window "it's time for you to cook the knockwurst", so you come in for a quick landing but find the plane coming in a bit faster then you prefer. You stop the motor and hit reverse.

Does the plane slow down or not?

Don't talk about stall speed. You're careful not to fly that slow.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:

Does the plane slow down or not?

Don't talk about stall speed. You're careful not to fly that slow.
The original question to my answer was "use reverse thrust to slow down the aircraft ,instead using flaps or spoiler????????? "

With flaps you can increase the lift coefficient of the wing by increasing the effective camber, allowing you to fly slower.

Spoiler(ons) give the wing some kind of additional washout, allowing you to fly safely at a higher angle of attack, allowing you to fly slower, while sinking faster.

As mentioned before, you can't fly slower in horizontal flight with reverse thrust. Ths stall speed remains the same. You normally use reverse thrust to prevent the model from picking up too much speed in a steep uproach. If you use reverse thrust in normal flight, the model will slow down and stall - at the same speed it would have stalled - or even earlier because of disturbed airflow to the wing.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Your lovely wife Wilhelmina yells out the window "it's time for you to cook the knockwurst"...
I think my lovely Irish wife would be rather offended if I'd call her Wilhelmina and nobody over here would know what a "knockwurst" is anyway :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knackwurst

Give me Angus beef anytime ...

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I think my lovely Irish wife would be rather offended if I'd call her Wilhelmina and nobody over here would know what a "knockwurst" is anyway :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knackwurst

Give me Angus beef anytime ...

Jürgen
I'm with you on that one.

Ah ha! So it will slow down. The original question asked if it would slow down, not be able to decrease stall speed. You added all that.

My apologizes to to your lovely Irish wife.

Perhaps I'll send you a Philly Cheese Steak.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Ah ha! So it will slow down. The original question asked if it would slow down, not be able to decrease stall speed. You added all that.
I think I made it pretty clear, that reverse thrust is no substitute for flaps when you want to fly slower and that appeared to be the desired goal of the person who came up with the question.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Pretty much understand the theory of slow speed and stall , intention is to do a quick approach for landing no matter how fast you are flying and able to do short landing
working now on VP motor will see how it goes