HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:36 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
It would have to be a very tight fit for it not to turn without some sort of fixative when the motor is running.
Yes, you are right, but the suggested hot glue on the pod rim should prevent that.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,091 Posts
Reinforcing the V-Stab

I am looking at ways to strengthen the tail and horizontal stab of my Easystar I as it gets easily damaged while transporting. I have taped 2 BBQ sticks as the horiz stab was warped. The tail (vertical stab) is not exactly perpendicular to the fuse. Anyone know of a "lightweight" solution to keep it perfectly vertical. Perhaps right angled CF brackets that no one makes..
rcmaverick is online now Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:44 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Make a box that slips over the tail. Something like this what I have done with the original box.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:00 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The other one is 1/8" or 3.17mm.

Jürgen
Mine came with two 3mm for some reason. Do you know where I can get the stock 3.17mm?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:15 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker View Post
Mine came with two 3mm for some reason. Do you know where I can get the stock 3.17mm?
I'm not Jurgen, but any LHS or on-line hobby shop will have one.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:13 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
I'm not Jurgen, but any LHS or on-line hobby shop will have one.

Ted
Nope. Any LHS or OL retailer will have 3.17 adapters but not the right length or width specific to the stock EZII prop housing, which is what I would like to use with my motor.

The tapered nut sets into the back of the spinner plate and the EZII collet fits flush into that.

If you can find this specific collet, please link me to it.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Nope. Any LHS or OL retailer will have 3.17 adapters but not the right length or width specific to the stock EZII prop housing, which is what I would like to use with my motor.

The tapered nut sets into the back of the spinner plate and the EZII collet fits flush into that.

I am a tad befuddled as to why the wrong size prop adapter ended up in your kit ?
Is it possoble that it is just burred where it was cut off the aluminum rod that they made 100 adapters from ? The automated operation would be something like .. move the stock up from the last cut-off, machine the taper, Slot it, thread it, bore the back for the shaft, cut-off, .. next ...It could be that the burrs from slotting are causing the adapter to not fit the shaft ??

Maybe you could find a frindly machinist around town that would stick it in his lathe and re-drill it to 3.17 mm for a six-pack ??

Just thoughts ..

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MiniBoy; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,740 Posts
Quote:

I thought the OP was in regards to an EZ*I.

Ted
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:49 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy View Post
I am a tad befuddled as to why the wrong size prop adapter ended up in your kit ?
Is it possoble that it is just burred where it was cut off the aluminum rod that they made 100 adapters from ? The automated operation would be something like .. move the stock up from the last cut-off, machine the taper, Slot it, thread it, bore the back for the shaft, cut-off, .. next ...It could be that the burrs from slotting are causing the adapter to not fit the shaft ??

Maybe you could find a frindly machinist around town that would stick it in his lathe and re-drill it to 3.17 mm for a six-pack ??

Just thoughts ..

Russ
Not sure.. But like Jürgen mentioned in another thread, maybe my shaft is actually 3.2mm. HobbyKing is pretty good for misprinting thier products dimensions. Either way neither of the collets fit.. I need to find someone with a micrometer.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Not sure.. But like Jürgen mentioned in another thread, maybe my shaft is actually 3.2mm. HobbyKing is pretty good for misprinting thier products dimensions. Either way neither of the collets fit.. I need to find someone with a micrometer.
OOps .. I'm sorry, I was assuming ( NEVER ASSUME ) you were trying to fit the adapter to the stock motor .. apparently you are replacing the stock motor ?

Regardles, if you can't find the correct adapter for the folding prop, you will have to make the adapter fit .. will require a machinist, unles you have a drill press and are clever enough to jig the part into a drill press vise, measure the motor shaft and re-drill the adapter .. would really only take 20 minutes ..

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:04 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
805 Posts
What's my problem when flying inverted?

Guys,

I could need some help in understanding inverted flight with an EZ*. I consider myself a beginner and therefore I've tried inverted flight with my EZ* only. But the strange thing is, the plane doesn't steer like I would expect. I don't have problems controlling the plane, everything feels 100% natural, but when I move the stick to the left, the plane also goes left. When thinking about it at home on the couch, the plane should go right. Is this normal or is my mind playing tricks on me? Since I started rc-flying I always lacked the 'reverse' problem; I don't understand why people would steer in the wrong direction when flying towards themselves. Is inverted flight something alike, so in other words am I steering in reverse automatically?

So the basic question is, should an EZ* in inverted flight go left when moving the stick to the left? I have rudder only, no ailerons.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Inverted towards you or away?
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Guys,

I could need some help in understanding inverted flight with an EZ*. I consider myself a beginner and therefore I've tried inverted flight with my EZ* only. But the strange thing is, the plane doesn't steer like I would expect. I don't have problems controlling the plane, everything feels 100% natural, but when I move the stick to the left, the plane also goes left. When thinking about it at home on the couch, the plane should go right. Is this normal or is my mind playing tricks on me? Since I started rc-flying I always lacked the 'reverse' problem; I don't understand why people would steer in the wrong direction when flying towards themselves. Is inverted flight something alike, so in other words am I steering in reverse automatically?

So the basic question is, should an EZ* in inverted flight go left when moving the stick to the left? I have rudder only, no ailerons.

Martin
Left stick (either aileron or rudder) results in left roll and vice versa. Therefore, the plane will turn in that direction from it's original flight path. Whether that turn makes the plane move to your left or right depends in whether it is flying toward or away from you.

HTH,

Ted
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Left stick (either aileron or rudder) results in left roll and vice versa. Therefore, the plane will turn in that direction from it's original flight path. Whether that turn makes the plane move to your left or right depends in whether it is flying toward or away from you.

HTH,

Ted
More worthless information (read-technobabble)

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Ok, Captain Obvious, but he's saying the plane goes left or right the same inverted as it does flying normal. Left going away normal and left going away flying inverted.

At least that's how I read his question.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:51 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
805 Posts
Thanks guys,

I was talking about left from a bird's eye view. So turning left means turning counter-clockwise as seen from above. I see no difference in flying towards me or away from me as I never think of my left or right. Hence I never get confused when flying in whatever direction .

Left stick resulting in left roll...ah now I see it! Normally during level flight, moving the stick to the left puts the nose to the left thereby exposing the outer right wing tip into the air stream which causes it to gain lift --> rolling left. When flying inverted, stick to left puts the nose to the right (clockwise from above) while the roll plus elevator input forces the plane to go left. So roll-left & pitch is stronger than yaw-right.

I guess the effect is far less pronounced with straight wings that cause minimal roll on rudder input.

Thanks for your input, I can sleep again
Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182