HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Thanks! All three very worth watching, just beautiful! What props are you using, are they 3-blades? I always wonder if it would be economical to have two large props instead of one small prop at the back. It costs extra weight for ESCs and motors but on the other side it could be more efficient.

About video editing, I like Kdenlive a lot and it's for free! It's not for Windows though.
Martin
Martin,

thank you. I don't think two motors are more efficient than one, but I just wanted to try a twin. The sound is so sweet

When moving the motors in front of the CoG instead of rear as the original, you also need less weight in front; A smaller battery will now balance the plane. That way, you can lower AUW down to 500gr. On the other hand, you loose abilty to carry heavy batteries and FPV equipment.

Normally, I use counter rotating 6x4 APC props for this plane, as they seem the most efficient and well balanced. But since I needed a bit extra clearance for the snow, I chose 5x4.5 props, and I chose three-blades to compensate for the lower thrust per blade.

They come in cw/ccw pairs, many sizes, both as 2 and 3 blade version, and from various ebay vendors. Check the attached pic - I recommend them.

The 8A HK ESCs are mounted on the nacelles, and they really don't weigh much. Current consumption is 4A max per motor static @ 3S, so I guess the plane will cruise at 3-4A total, almost like it's standard, single motor sister.

EDIT: Col. Blink: Thanks for the hint to the attachment function, which I had not been aware of. This will save me the trouble of uploading pics to photobucket first.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Attaching pic rather than embedding it
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,435 Posts
Mike: I love the EZ Twin, and wouldn't mind doing one myself! You are imparting a lot of great info here, but can I ask a favour? Could you use the 'Manage Attachments' button instead of embedding photos in the text? It makes it a pain in the backside when you are reading a post and it keeps hopping off the screen because a previous post has loaded another photo!!!

Cheers!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:25 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Mike-O. For video editing I use 'windows movie maker' or 'Windows live'. It's free and works OK when you sus out the kinks.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Mike-O. For video editing I use 'windows movie maker' or 'Windows live'. It's free and works OK when you sus out the kinks.
I do have the Windows Movie Maker, but I can't get it to work with the file types, I get from my 808 #16 camera and from my groundstation.

Also, I like the slow motion / fast forward feature of the AVS editor, and I don't think Movie Maker can do that?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
I do have the Windows Movie Maker, but I can't get it to work with the file types, I get from my 808 #16 camera and from my groundstation.

Also, I like the slow motion / fast forward feature of the AVS editor, and I don't think Movie Maker can do that?
The file types of the # 18 are .mov or you can load on a FW that gives you .avi.
I don't know about the #16.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
The file types of the # 18 are .mov or you can load on a FW that gives you .avi.
I don't know about the #16.
My #16 creates "avi" type files. I then use videopad software to convert them to "wmv" type files.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
My #16 creates "avi" type files. I then use videopad software to convert them to "wmv" type files.
Conversion of video files degrades the quality of the original format. You can load many file types into WMM and save them in another format then re load the converted file for editing but it will be degraded as compared to the original.

Your videopad software is actually an alien being. Get it out of your house as soon as possible.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Conversion of video files degrades the quality of the original format. You can load many file types into WMM and save them in another format then re load the converted file for editing but it will be degraded as compared to the original.

Your videopad software is actually an alien being. Get it out of your house as soon as possible.
Really? The software has worked pretty well for me especially allowing for editing a big file down to something I can post on you tube. Maybe having something not of this world isn't a bad thing.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: correction
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:44 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,136 Posts
Mike-O - So you're making international flights? I see your video in Google Earth. Here's the spot!
mutski is online now Find More Posts by mutski
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Mike-O - So you're making international flights? I see your video in Google Earth. Here's the spot!

Hehe - well spotted
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:25 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
I got a goal with my Easystar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=XoLlteKgJcA
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:39 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Mount Question

I am changing the mount on my ES and have one of these. I was wondering what kind of glue would be best for gluing the aluminum base tube into the foam nacelle?

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ustable/Detail
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:13 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I am changing the mount on my ES and have one of these. I was wondering what kind of glue would be best for gluing the aluminum base tube into the foam nacelle?

Gorilla glue, or gator glue, double sided sticky tape.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post

I guess the tube section is a pretty tight fit in the pod (nacelle), so I wouldn't bother glueing that part - it only makes it impossible to take apart again. I'd probably try applying a little hot glue to the pod rim (where the alu flange sits) and then push in the mount.

Apply hot glue to the foam, not to the alu - it will stiffen before you can do anything.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:23 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
It would have to be a very tight fit for it not to turn without some sort of fixative when the motor is running.