Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed View Post
I came across an area where I think I can fly, but I can't find anyone there to inquire if any one will get unhappy about my doing so Though there is a for sale sign there for more than 6 years.
Here are the co-ordinates: 40.890765,-74.614108

Any ideas?
Now you've published the co-ordinates, I'd get down there and join everyone else flying there......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:13 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
396 Posts
Hello!

I owned 2 EZ I and 2 EZ II (still have one from each)). All of them were FPV equipped, almost the same gear, Remzibi OSD / DOSD, Sony 600TVL camera, BL FC2826-9T, Kv 1820, APC 6, 2200 Lipo.
EZ II flown with the original motor (a HK clone with the same characteristics) configuration and prop but every time when hitting gas stick the plane was rolling to the right (the same direction the motor was rotating). The I changed to FC2826-9T and everything was ok.
Still... as an overall conclusion it seems to me (and I am not the only one, a colleague has the same opinion) that for FPV purposes EZ 1 is better than EZ 2. It flies more stable when it comes to keep the heading (EZ2 keeps bouncing from left to right and back). And more disturbing I found that after a full throttle when I suddenly cut the engine I get a violent nose dive with EZ 2. I also mention that it is impossible to get a balance between CG, trimming and full throttle in order to have a constant altitude flight. I have also some a few serious stalls (falling on a wing) due to reduce speed.
This things never happened with EZ 1 or they were very reduced. This older version is more stable and docile, it flies right even the GC is not properly positioned.
Me and my RC colleague flew these planes in different conditions, at leisure or for LR FPV (10-19km) so we had plenty of time to observe the behavior of each plane. We agreed that EZ 1 is better than EZ 2 in terms of stability and predictability of the FPV flight.

Could anyone else who used the 2 versions confirm (or not) our conclusion?
futurebreeze is online now Find More Posts by futurebreeze
Last edited by futurebreeze; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:35 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Hello!

I owned 2 EZ I and 2 EZ II (still have one from each)). All of them were FPV equipped, almost the same gear, Remzibi OSD / DOSD, Sony 600TVL camera, BL FC2826-9T, Kv 1820, APC 6, 2200 Lipo.
EZ II flown with the original motor (a HK clone with the same characteristics) configuration and prop but every time when hitting gas stick the plane was rolling to the right (the same direction the motor was rotating). The I changed to FC2826-9T and everything was ok.
Still... as an overall conclusion it seems to me (and I am not the only one, a colleague has the same opinion) that for FPV purposes EZ 1 is better than EZ 2. It flies more stable when it comes to keep the heading (EZ2 keeps bouncing from left to right and back). And more disturbing I found that after a full throttle when I suddenly cut the engine I get a violent nose dive with EZ 2. I also mention that it is impossible to get a balance between CG, trimming and full throttle in order to have a constant altitude flight. I have also some a few serious stalls (falling on a wing) due to reduce speed.
This things never happened with EZ 1 or they were very reduced. This older version is more stable and docile, it flies right even the GC is not properly positioned.
Me and my RC colleague flew these planes in different conditions, at leisure or for LR FPV (10-19km) so we had plenty of time to observe the behavior of each plane. We agreed that EZ 1 is better than EZ 2 in terms of stability and predictability of the FPV flight.

Could anyone else who used the 2 versions confirm (or not) our conclusion?
Alo!

I have used both (and even a ES l converted to twin motors), and I think the ES 2 is better than the ES l in almost all aspects. The main reason for me using the stock ES l as my current FPV platform is it's simplicity; No fiddling with aileron servo connectors with frozen fingers lesser cables in the plane, and less to go wrong all together.

I have not noticed any torque roll in the ES 2, but now that you mention it, I have noticed my almost stock (180W outrunner + 6x4.5 prop) ES l needs slightly different rudder trims under power and when gliding. But I never noticed that on the ES 2, so I cannot join your conclusion.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
396 Posts
Me and my colleague assembled each plane separately and we had the same issues. The torque roll wasn't a real one because the plane was leaning in the same direction with the prop rotation. This was very strange to me. The other plane had the same behaviour (we even tried different folding props and motors around 1000-1300 kv). With EZ1 didn't have different trimming position when gliding or with throttle.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,467 Posts
My EZ2 is a much 'softer' plane than my EZ1 and as such is 'nicer' to fly (but not as exciting) - but then my EZ2 is stock, and my EZ1 has had a significant power upgrade.

But what I have noticed is that my EZ2 always seems to drop the left wing quite violently on the stall, whereas I have not noticed that on my EZ1. But then again, you should never be caught by an unexpected stall, should you?
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebreeze View Post
Me and my colleague assembled each plane separately and we had the same issues. The torque roll wasn't a real one because the plane was leaning in the same direction with the prop rotation. This was very strange to me. The other plane had the same behaviour (we even tried different folding props and motors around 1000-1300 kv). With EZ1 didn't have different trimming position when gliding or with throttle.
This is an (unedited, sry) on-board video of my stock (1000kv 2826mm outrunner, stock folding prop) ES 2. Power on and off during video with no detectable roll induction. It's a bit windy, but at 5:44, the plane is high in mainly laminar flowing air when the motor goes from full power to zero power. I cannot detect any influence:
MPX EasyStar 2 unedited. Highs @ 5:44 (Skywalker) and 7:33 ( ultra low pass) (9 min 59 sec)

In this ES2 FPV video check 4:50 and 5:10 for changes in power settings
RC EasyStar 2 FPV (5 min 32 sec)

Again, no induced roll asfaics.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,542 Posts
We are back on topic , I dunno turn my back for a few hours

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:49 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
On topic? Here's some water I also wouldn't drink. The St. Croix river between Minnesota and Wisconsin is a remarkably clean river upstream, but here it's pretty wide and heavily developed. I've heard one of the islands on the far side is descriptively named "Beer Can Island." When I asked which one, the answer was "I don't know, probably all of them."

St. Croix River - aerial RC (3 min 28 sec)
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post
On topic? Here's some water I also wouldn't drink. The St. Croix river between Minnesota and Wisconsin is a remarkably clean river upstream, but here it's pretty wide and heavily developed. I've heard one of the islands on the far side is descriptively named "Beer Can Island." When I asked which one, the answer was "I don't know, probably all of them."

http://vimeo.com/57492521
Real nice Karl. I volunteer to come up there and find that island for you.....in the summer, of course.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:29 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bē View Post

http://vimeo.com/57492521
One of the best vids I've seen in a long time. Great work!

Gene and I will be there in July . He will be bringing his weiner/weener/wiener dogs to chase your ES, and I will be along to drink his and your beer. I insist on a separate bedroom during our indefinite stay this summer as Gene is known for his offensive flatus So, too, his weiner/weener/wiener dogs.

I take it that the largest boat in the vid must be yours as you kept flying over it. Justifiably the proud owner that you are. Gene said that his northern cousin Vinnie and his southern cousin Bubba want to come along and get a ride on your boat. Maybe you can take them all the way home on it when the summer is over. They also want to fly your ES during their stay.

Y'all stay warm now, ya heah!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:27 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Sounds like a party. Bring (self-inflating?) tents so you can stay on Beer Can Island. Don't worry about getting there, the ice is solid 11 months out of the year.

The party barge there is kept in good shape except for the top roof. Out of sight, out of mind, until some snoop with a spy drone exposes all.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:27 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
This is an (unedited, sry) on-board video of my stock (1000kv 2826mm outrunner, stock folding prop) ES 2. Power on and off during video with no detectable roll induction. It's a bit windy, but at 5:44, the plane is high in mainly laminar flowing air when the motor goes from full power to zero power. I cannot detect any influence...
Again, no induced roll asfaics.
Thanks for videos. I'd rather prefer a video made on calm weather to watch the plane movements. Maybe I am too picky and I ask from a foam to fly straight, without any stick compensation. I have DOSD on my EZ2 and in order that RTH would work a stable plane is needed. That is why I fear of violent stalls. I have good hands for FPV piloting but for DOSD I am worried.
With EZ1 things were different, it could fly by itself on calm days. Anyway, I have a spare EZ2 fuselage and I'll give iti a try with the original setup.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:44 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Close call - but why?

I had a near miss yesterday! At 11:10 in the video I turned to land. At 11:16 my car came between me the airplane, the control signal disappeared and the plane went into a dive! Luckily the signal returned and I managed to pull up in time.

I've flown 3400 feet out in the past and 2900 feet this flight (3:05 in the video. Yup, RSSI glitched at 2600'.) The nose-dive was just 1700' from the Dx6i.

So what happened? Two theories:

First, my car blocked the Dx6i. At 9:16 you'll see me standing in front of the car. The Dx6i is hanging at waist level. At 11:16, the plane turns toward the rear of the car, the RSSI goes from 98% to 91%, 97%, then 0 and 6% as it spins. It's the first time I've flown standing that close to the car, and there were some smaller RSSI glitches when I passed that area earlier in the video.

Or, maybe it was a tip-stall. It was calm on the ground, but due to trouble keeping consistent speed and overshooting my landing, I realized the wind was blowing from the west above. At 11:16, groundspeed was slowing and the plane was turning downwind. But the RSSI signal suggests a radio shadow from my car.

By the way, I'm feeling proud of myself for figuring out how to inset the OSD video into the Keychain cam video below! Done with VSDC Free Video Editor. Nice program, and free!

EasyStar close call! (12 min 17 sec)

Equipment: Dx6i, Ar6115, DORA for RSSI, Fatshark Predator glasses, Immersion 500mw, 5.8ghz Vtx, Spironet antennas, G-OSD flashed to CL-OSD.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
FPV addicted
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jul 2010
396 Posts
I had too an imminent crash last year, it was my mistake that I gave the radio to a beginner to try the FPV piloting without flying at a higher altitude. The plane just entered into tip stall. While he desperately was handing me the radio, unintentionally I switched the MENU knob of DOSD (which cuts the surfaces commands) making things even worse. Luckily, I could have a quick look on an external monitor and I saw the the knob position.
But I have also 2 crashes with EZ2 because of DOSD rebooting in mid air (the surfaces were dead frozen): everytime the plane was diving violently straight into the ground. It is the unique way of EZ 2 to crash. Once again, I've never had such crashes with EZ1, they were different.
I don't wan't to put in disgrace EZ2 (i like it its good parts) but I am looking for a reliable mid range FPV platform (under 1kg)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Having improved my Rx and VRx antennas, I did a couple of flights today in the cold, clear air. My keychain #16 camera freezes over after a few minutes, but Dennis did a little ground recording for me. A few screenshots of my personal distance and altitude bests:

summary of the flight: