HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:48 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
My 37mpg in town vehicle, is in the garage with my 4 bikes and electric scooter.
ONLY 37 MPG ! what a gas guzzler! must be a Jag or Landy I presume.

I lived in Ioswich until recently and the only shop that could be described as a model shop was Galaxy. sorry to see them go as they looked after me very well often going well beyond the call of duty.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,539 Posts
Totally Off topic and for the Brits

Question for the Brits among us

Gents its BFMA renewal time of year again are you getting as frustrated as I am about the BFMA being so aloof and unappraochable ? Yet again the mag had 4 articles on vintage stuff pages and pages of pictures of the AGM awards and some contest reports where 4 people took part.

Am I missing something or is the BFMA so remote as to be irrelevant to the average sports flier ? Or to put it another way "what has the BMFA ever done for us ?"

I tried to air this on the UK RCMF forum but just got abuse so my apologies to all the non Brits who have to endure this rant.

Terry
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,431 Posts
Don't worry, it'll get them back for all the AMA rants we endure....

Re the BMFA; the Vintage stuff interests me, so I'm quite glad to see it. Other than that, I'm a member just for the insurance. I know the FPVUK insurance is cheaper, but I didn't like handing my money over and getting absolutely no paperwork or proof of insurance - until the email telling me it was coming up for renewal, so send more money.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Don't worry, it'll get them back for all the AMA rants we endure....

Re the BMFA; the Vintage stuff interests me, so I'm quite glad to see it. Other than that, I'm a member just for the insurance. I know the FPVUK insurance is cheaper, but I didn't like handing my money over and getting absolutely no paperwork or proof of insurance - until the email telling me it was coming up for renewal, so send more money.
From what I am lead to beleave BMFA does not favour FPV, therefore you would not be insured. ( Tell me if I am wrong).
With the FPVUK you can download and print your insurance details with your name.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,431 Posts
BMFA are following the CAA ruling that you no longer need a buddy box, just a 'competent spotter' -that doesnt necessarily mean someone who knows how to fly RC
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Does that now mean that if you are flying your FPV EASYSTAR that it is approved by the BMFA if you have a spotter?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,431 Posts
My understanding is that yes, as long as you adhere to airspace regulations and the model remains LOS to the spotter. But please check - as I haven't really done much FPV and none for the past 6 months or so, I haven't checked closely. It may be that the insurance hasn't caught up yet.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Does that now mean that if you are flying your FPV EASYSTAR that it is approved by the BMFA if you have a spotter?
As long as your flying in accordance with the CAA exemption.

See http://www.bmfa.org/publications/fpv.html
Big AndyS is online now Find More Posts by Big AndyS
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,539 Posts
And there is still the not closer to 150m from any vessel vehicle of structure and not closer than 50m from any person restrictions on any camera equipped model aircraft. So unless you are flying your FPV model right out in the country there are potentially problems

Terry
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Here's what the Hobbyking Wingcam should look like. This guy is getting much better video quality than anyone here.

*Not a Gopro*

AXN flight in sunset (15 min 41 sec)
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Here's what the Hobbyking Wingcam should look like. This guy is getting much better video quality than anyone here.

*Not a Gopro*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRNHQLEKDdU
Definitely not a GoPro, the way it steps so strongly in the shutter rate changes. Other than that, nice color, nice contrast, LOVE the internal lens reflections, and I'm particularly impressed at how it doesn't streak when aiming right into the sun. Pretty nice, overall. Thanks for putting that up!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:25 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
That's how mine should look like. I am thinking that I might ask for an exchange when I hear from HK again.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
In continuing in the spirit of off topicness... Does anyone know if there is a thread on RCG for the HK Wing Cam? If so I'd like to sub it so I can properly abuse mine when it arrives. I've got some crazy ideas already on the drawing board, like IR uses. When I killed my #16 cam recently, the lens crushed the sensor, but the lens itself is fine. I had a look and found that the IR blocking filter is spot glued to the backside of the lens. *IF* the HK Wing Cam and the 808HD #16 use the same type of lens, then I can remove the IR filter from this one and use it on my Wing Cam whenever I want to work some IR. I could put an IR pass filter over it for pure near-IR use, or leave all the filtering out for mixed vis+IR for boosted low light performance at the cost of color accuracy. The way the Wing Cam is built, it looks to me like a "swap on the fly" setup would be a no brainer. I'm already starting to look at the HK Wing Cam as much more of a DIY hobbyist's cam than the 808HD series ever will be so long as they keep building them to look like car key fobs.

It lookies like this... :-) This one was shot with a #11 that lost its IR filter in a crash, back in April of 2011. I was range testing with a Corona RP8D1 with a long wire antenna on the receiver... Glitch glitch glitch loss and glitch. I don't miss it a bit.

EasyStar 4-19-11 Infrared HD FPV Flight (5 min 45 sec)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Question for the Brits among us

Gents its BFMA renewal time of year again are you getting as frustrated as I am about the BFMA being so aloof and unappraochable ? Yet again the mag had 4 articles on vintage stuff pages and pages of pictures of the AGM awards and some contest reports where 4 people took part.

Am I missing something or is the BFMA so remote as to be irrelevant to the average sports flier ? Or to put it another way "what has the BMFA ever done for us ?"

I tried to air this on the UK RCMF forum but just got abuse so my apologies to all the non Brits who have to endure this rant.

Terry
Anyone who is a BMFA member just for the insurance should check their house / personal liability insurance. Mine covers me for all kinds of outdoor sport, including model flying for up to 5million. There is a size / weight limit but it's one I'm not likely to exceed. I know some clubs insist on BMFA insurance but for the solo flyer there are other options.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Here ya go Rick. Seek and yea shall find. There are 3 threads with only 1 post on the other 2.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=hk+wing+cam
For the UK HK supporters.
They are here.
Lucky stuff Ltd
18 Elmsett airfield
Ipswich
I am sending my wing cam back.