SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
here is a crash video using gopros and hk wing cam- for your comparison .. also funny... was a bad day for easystars- but a good day for crash video--from mid summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoBo-Ktd6NE
That brings back old memories.
But we will be building super secret Bix-Ez's this weekend as the weather has turned for the worse.
We have fancy motor mounts this time so will be super cool I'm building old version and Fancy pants is building new version.
Let the fun begin and just in time for snow.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:44 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Dude!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80P_30FPS.html

That's just... wow. Now I suddenly wanna blow $100. Thanks for putting up the info, you guys. I particularly like the longer runtime and the way the whole thing is packed in ordinary heatshrink - makes things potentially a LOT easier to hack.

SO, realistically. What's your runtime going full quality? I see the "up to 3 hours" in the description, but I assume that's running lightweight in the quality settings.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:47 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
I've pulled out the old easystar to be put back into service, with a new brushless motor. (Actually, I did put in a brushless inrunner awhile back, but it burnt up, no CNC motor mount at the time). I picked the turnigy D-2826 2200kv outrunner motor with the 35-40a HK SS series ESC. The problem is that i forgot to read the description of the ESC and it says it can only handle up to 2000kv. I tested the setup and the motor does spin up, but HK says the ESC will overload.

Is hobbyking being overly cautious and can you use the 2200kv motor without any issue?
I have a 2500kv motor in mine with a 35amp esc and 6x4 prop so I see no issues with your setup.

A wattmeter is your friend though
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Dude!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...80P_30FPS.html

That's just... wow. Now I suddenly wanna blow $100. Thanks for putting up the info, you guys. I particularly like the longer runtime and the way the whole thing is packed in ordinary heatshrink - makes things potentially a LOT easier to hack.

SO, realistically. What's your runtime going full quality? I see the "up to 3 hours" in the description, but I assume that's running lightweight in the quality settings.

Rick NR417
Too late. They are back ordered just like the original wing cam.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Well that was the most rash, impulsive purchase ever... in the last few weeks anyway.

One HD Wing Cam (720p version, not the newer 1080p... they're heavy!). Two 939MG servos. One Zippy Flightmax 3S 3000mAH pack to replace one badly crumpled in the final crash of my previous EasyStar.

I guess I get to find out for myself how I like the HD Wing Cams!

Rick NR417
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:09 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I have a 2500kv motor in mine with a 35amp esc and 6x4 prop so I see no issues with your setup.

A wattmeter is your friend though
I think the problem isn't with amps but something to with the timing of the esc.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:03 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
here is a crash video using gopros and hk wing cam- for your comparison .. also funny... was a bad day for easystars- but a good day for crash video--from mid summer

From one old boy to another if I may offer some tips.
First. You should attach lanyards to the cameras and attach to a fixed part of the airplane. So when they become detached, they are easy to find.
I think that you are over powering your airplanes. They are not suitable to extreme speed and violent aerobatics.
The highest KV I use is 1800kv and with a 6x4. Even on my FPV EZ*.
I have 3 EZ*s and the oldest one 7 years old is still as good as new.. Well almost.
The HK wing cam that you supplied a link to is only 37 bucks. Is that the right one?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Flypoppa; Dec 06, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:

I remember the first time you showed that video. I took off my hat for 30 seconds of silence.

Then I thought WOW!! it wasn't me.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Well that was the most rash, impulsive purchase ever... in the last few weeks anyway.

One HD Wing Cam (720p version, not the newer 1080p... they're heavy!). Two 939MG servos. One Zippy Flightmax 3S 3000mAH pack to replace one badly crumpled in the final crash of my previous EasyStar.

I guess I get to find out for myself how I like the HD Wing Cams!

Rick NR417
out of the 11 we have purchased- one was a bit blurry- the rest have been superb- and the batteries are great- they last and last and keep a charge for weeks between uses- I hope you like it- make sure you get a class 10 sd card- amazon has a 8 gig for about 10 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...8+gig+micro+sd
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
From one old boy to another if I may offer some tips.
First. You should attach lanyards to the cameras and attach to a fixed part of the airplane. So when they become detached, they are easy to find.
I think that you are over powering your airplanes. They are not suitable to extreme speed and violent aerobatics.
The highest KV I use is 1800kv and with a 6x4. Even on my FPV EZ*.
I have 3 EZ*s and the oldest one 7 years old is still as good as new.. Well almost.
The HK wing cam that you supplied a link to is only 37 bucks. Is that the right one?
yes $37 bucks if they are out of stock -I always order anyway- they send them out as soon as they get them....

Lanyards are a great idea- every time we crash we say- Why haven't we done what flypoppa told us too yet...lol
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:58 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
yes $37 bucks if they are out of stock -I always order anyway- they send them out as soon as they get them....

Lanyards are a great idea- every time we crash we say- Why haven't we done what flypoppa told us too yet...lol
Well do it. Some thin string or fishing line does it. You know it makes sence.
I have ordered the $38.97 (24.97) incl post one from the UK warehouse. On your recommendation.
So if it ain't no good. Plenty of stick will be comming your way.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:15 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Its a bit heavier than a #16, but for an EZ thats no problem. I'm interested!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
.... You should attach lanyards to the cameras and attach to a fixed part of the airplane. So when they become detached, they are easy to find.
Also, if you are mounting the camera a long distance form CoG (Like tail or wingtip), your CoG wont shift dramatically if it becomes detached....
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
out of the 11 we have purchased- one was a bit blurry- the rest have been superb- and the batteries are great- they last and last and keep a charge for weeks between uses- I hope you like it- make sure you get a class 10 sd card- amazon has a 8 gig for about 10 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Clas...8+gig+micro+sd
I'm satisfied enough with the image quality of my #16 but I'm really drawn in by the longer battery time of the Wing Cam. I'd like to keep my #16 as more of a general use, discreet HD cam with uses for various projects while dedicating the Wing Cam to my aerial pursuits. I really did not want to have to hack my #16 to overcome the lack of runtime.

How's the FPV rat killing going?

Edit: Regarding memory cards... And I quote from the movie "Contact" - "First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"

2 items added to Cart

Order Subtotal: $18.98
2 items in your Cart

Cha-ching! B-)

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Dec 07, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I looked at some videos taken with the hobbyking wing cam and the way the camera changes for different light conditions is horrible. You can actually see it refreshing when it's adjusting the contrast and brightness. I looks like the #16 808 cam is much better in this area.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby