SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:35 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
You know - it can be a bit expensive entertaining ya'll with crashes and camera losses- but what really burns me is when I lose a memory chip- screw the camera- the chip is the treasure... cause when i crash- I want the video !!! muhhahahaha
The simple solution is to stick a bit of tape over the memory chip/card so it don't come out.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:45 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
You know - it can be a bit expensive entertaining ya'll with crashes and camera losses- but what really burns me is when I lose a memory chip- screw the camera- the chip is the treasure... cause when i crash- I want the video !!!
30 cameras! 8-o

I lost a memory card the same way, early this year when I crashed my quad HARD on rocky dirt. Found everything but the memory card and the #11 keycam was dead as a hammer. Those things are surprisingly delicate - I've had them die from soft crashes as well. Annnywayyys, I lost an 8GB card from that one and of course the flight footage with it. NO MORE. Now I run a strip of ordinary Scotch tape around the memory card area. I may lose the cam, but I won't lose my footage!

Another little trick that you may or may not even need... Some video transmitters use what looks like a somewhat smaller lipo balance connector (JST-XH) for a plug. I never have found a source for buying matching connectors for these, but that's partly because I didn't look too hard. Computer sound cards, specifically some older SoundBlaster cards, use these and will sometimes have two of them on a card. Get yourself a Radio Shack desoldering iron (IRON, not a passive solder sucker), and have fun. You'll have a matching male connector for free if you can get ahold of one of the cards with it on it, and you can then build an FPV rig harness that allows you to remove your VTX at will for whatever reasons. Handy if you have just one VTX and use it on multiple projects.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:56 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
30 cameras! 8-o

I lost a memory card the same way, early this year when I crashed my quad HARD on rocky dirt. Found everything but the memory card and the #11 keycam was dead as a hammer. Those things are surprisingly delicate - I've had them die from soft crashes as well. Annnywayyys, I lost an 8GB card from that one and of course the flight footage with it. NO MORE. Now I run a strip of ordinary Scotch tape around the memory card area. I may lose the cam, but I won't lose my footage!

Another little trick that you may or may not even need... Some video transmitters use what looks like a somewhat smaller lipo balance connector (JST-XH) for a plug. I never have found a source for buying matching connectors for these, but that's partly because I didn't look too hard. Computer sound cards, specifically some older SoundBlaster cards, use these and will sometimes have two of them on a card. Get yourself a Radio Shack desoldering iron (IRON, not a passive solder sucker), and have fun. You'll have a matching male connector for free if you can get ahold of one of the cards with it on it, and you can then build an FPV rig harness that allows you to remove your VTX at will for whatever reasons. Handy if you have just one VTX and use it on multiple projects.

Rick NR417
Dude- I have a stack of used pc boards and cards- And i can desolder- thanks for the tip..
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:58 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
The simple solution is to stick a bit of tape over the memory chip/card so it don't come out.

works on key cam- but not so well on HK wink cam- which is our go to favorites- it is a much better camera than key cams- our key cams shut off on us at will- wont start up- we never know when they are on- compared to HK wing cams- they suck..
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:56 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
HK wink cam- which is our go to favorites-

Did you mean HK Wing Cam? Nothing Wink on HK search.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Scott... you need to get into the #16 keycams then. The #16 has a Windows program interface now for the many settings it has, and one of those is whether or not you want a flashing yellow LED while recording. They're WAY better than the #11 cams you're used to, but same old $40 price. They also have a video-out if you're into running an HD cam as FPV cam. I don't like to, but I'm different so there you go.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
So many vendors on Ebay for #16, all the cameras are the same????
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
Rick, I thought only the #18 has video-out.

Not recommended to use that for FPV unless you're eager to crash a lot, well in Scott's case the #18 might be just right. ,
although ... it violates the first Scott-principle: I shall crash but only if it's on video!

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
No. They may be different. One way is to check the price. If it is cheaper than the other # 16 then it is probably not what you think your getting.

I thought I was getting a # 11 for cheap and ended getting a # 14 which was a dog. It would stop recording and the video file could not be converted to anything that youtube accepted. Ya can't always trust the vendors so be careful or keep your expectations low in case you get "the rotary attachment"
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Scott... you need to get into the #16 keycams then. The #16 has a Windows program interface now for the many settings it has, and one of those is whether or not you want a flashing yellow LED while recording. They're WAY better than the #11 cams you're used to, but same old $40 price. They also have a video-out if you're into running an HD cam as FPV cam. I don't like to, but I'm different so there you go.

Rick NR417
We have some 16's- I am not impressed- Batteries fail - stop recording mid flight. Just not as reliable as the Hobby King WING cam- and I just got a new 16 with a d lens.... anything further than 4 ft away is a blur- what a disappointment... trying to return it- they want me to send them a video first- my time is valuable and I will just not ever buy another and I will fly it on planes i intend to crash-

Bob had a not so very hard landing- not even close to a crash- and his 16 quit- they replaced it after a month long battle- and he opted for a B lens- that has a decent picture but has battery life issues- charges all night and gets 1 and a half flights recorded before it shuts down for the day...

But we are really impressed so far with the hk wing cam II- yes it is 90 bucks- but it has a big solid lipo batt and gopro like optics and resolution...1080p with a video out and a HDMI output also.....will post something from it in the near future- maybe another parachute drop and i will put the 16 d lens on the chute since i consider it extremely disposable...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:43 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Quote:

Rick NR417
We have a couple of the #16 and if I can speak for Scott there not that great.
Main problem is the run time maybe 15 to 20 min and that's with new #16.
Scott has a D lens and focus is good up to 15' after that terrible.
I have a new B lens ok but bat only lasts 1 flight mybe 2 if there short.
I also have a #11 that wont power up anymore 1 year old.
The new hk mk2 so far looks to be a great cam but Scott only has 1 flight with it but compared to the hk 1's and #11,#16 there is no comparision.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:46 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Quote:
http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
HK wink cam- which is our go to favorites-

Did you mean HK Wing Cam? Nothing Wink on HK search.

Hobby King wing cam- very reliable- must use a class 10 micro sd card- i use an 8 gig card from amazon for 10 bucks- camera is $37- 720p 30fps 120 degree FOV heres a link-

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
here is a crash video using gopros and hk wing cam- for your comparison .. also funny... was a bad day for easystars- but a good day for crash video--from mid summer

Easystars fly and Easystars die- total fail and death crash.wmv (4 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:01 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I've pulled out the old easystar to be put back into service, with a new brushless motor. (Actually, I did put in a brushless inrunner awhile back, but it burnt up, no CNC motor mount at the time). I picked the turnigy D-2826 2200kv outrunner motor with the 35-40a HK SS series ESC. The problem is that i forgot to read the description of the ESC and it says it can only handle up to 2000kv. I tested the setup and the motor does spin up, but HK says the ESC will overload.

Is hobbyking being overly cautious and can you use the 2200kv motor without any issue?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby