HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
We are starting a new Easy-type build- I am soliciting Ricks advice and this may be my first attempt at FPV....Money of course is a factor- but I feel the need ...
Before you jump in, do your research and lots of reading the FPV threads.
The end results are great and it is another dimension of the hobby. It can be cheap or expensive. Depending on what advice you get. again I say do plenty of research.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
DragonOSD does a similar thing... It records GPS points every second (or however many seconds you prefer) and then will export the data to a Google Earth KML file so you can actually see your flight path in three dimensions. NICE.

Scott, you are going to LOVE FPV... you're going to be a maniac with it as well, I feel. Consider also starting an account at FPVLab - you'll learn TONS from people that do this for fun and for serious... and for serious fun. :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Depending on what advice you get.
He'll get neither and both. FPV isn't a cheap-or-expensive arena as I'm sure you know. You mix cheap and expensive because some aspects don't need a high cost, and some aspects really do, so you cut costs where reasonable in order to push funds to where they are more needed. Making your own wiring harnesses, going with cheap redundancies to protect your investments, modifying decent gear to be better gear, manufacturing your own antennae, building components outright from things you have laying around, and using extra money to set yourself up with the more expensive things that may save you the loss of a wayward plane down the road. I'll give him my best advice based on many, many flights and four aircraft (and a robot, a boat, and a car) worth of FPV experiences, learning mostly by myself and going through a lot of good and bad choices - learning the hard way which is the BEST way.

Rick NR417
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:27 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
True Rick. When I got involved I was given advice that could have cost me lots. But then other advice saved me lots.
Yes if you can handle a soldering iron you can save mega bucks, but there are some components that you need and have to go with the price. Fat shark goggles to name just one item.
eBay was my godsend.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
DragonOSD does a similar thing... It records GPS points every second (or however many seconds you prefer) and then will export the data to a Google Earth KML file so you can actually see your flight path in three dimensions. NICE.

Scott, you are going to LOVE FPV... you're going to be a maniac with it as well, I feel. Consider also starting an account at FPVLab - you'll learn TONS from people that do this for fun and for serious... and for serious fun. :-)

Rick NR417
been reading all morning..hope I am absorbing it.. sent you some email questions...
i can do maniacal......
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
I have seen maniacal from you and was duly impressed. NOW I EXPECT BETTER! Lol kidding.

Just my opinion, but anyone who gets into RC, especially FPV type RC, had better know how to handle an iron, preferably two at once, and with good skill, or otherwise they're in for a lot of torment and a snail-slow RC career. I had my first iron at age uh... hmm... 12 or younger, so now it's more about art for me than ability. If I don't do a pretty joint, then I redo it till it is pretty, then I make sculpture out of insulating it (for wires, that is).

Anyway... Scott, you haven't read enough until you're dizzy and can't do any more mentally. Then put it down and let it soak in, because the brain absorbs previous things WHILE you're doing other things. Pick it back up a few hours or a day later. This isn't a contest, remember, and rushing will only complicate things and taint the overall experience with disappointments if something goes wrong. Live it and breathe it, write it and draw it, play with the parts (but not like Gene plays with his parts) and let it flow in your mind how it goes together and how it will look when done. Do a lot of "shopping", going from site to site and play-buying stuff for the project. See what's out there. Good places I've been at or will soon be at are:

Phil's Hobby Shop - all things plane parts
Dino Direct - good place for vtx/vrx, camera gear
Amazon - cables, cameras, parts galore with a little searching
RC Timer - motors! :-)
Hobby Wireless - Bad-a** motors, parts
BestOfferBuy - cameras and video tx/vrx
SecurityCamera2000 - cameras, cameras, oh and also cameras.
2MCCTV - CAMERAS! This is where I get my beloved KPC-DNR700
eBay - Misc everything, great place for board cam lenses
HobbyKing - everything in the known universe
HeadsUpRc - again, all things plane parts

There are a lot more, this is just a start. Use Google search A LOT, learn from not just threads here or at FPVLab, but also random pages all over the Net. This FPV thing has been done by master pilots that routinely fly thousands of feet up (or tens thereof) and dozens of miles out and routinely create new ideas for the field. Take FPV Gods like Ssassen, IBCrazy, yes TBS, Daemon, and so many other brilliant guys... stalk them and learn from them, that's kinda what I do when I feel stuck. I stalked Flypoppa over there and pounced on his pan turret setup, love it because it protects the cam and serves as a handy panning pedestal for my 808HD #16. IBCrazy is a GENIUS with antennas and other things. These people know too much, lol, but they are a crazy good resource.

Oh, one more for the shopping list... make it three:

NewGenHobbies
DragonLabs
ReadyMade RC
and
DPCAV

Oops, like, that is SO four.

Also, make sure and subscribe to these two threads:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94704&page=106
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...394883&page=68

The big FPV thread is positively crawling with pilots that fly things you won't believe and in places you and I will probably never see. The FPV EasyStar thread is the only place I know to go for ONLY EasyStar FPV discussion, moderated by the brilliant Kevin Hines. I miss Kevin... what a great, kind, intelligent soul. He's SMART and can also teach a lot about FPV especially on the EZ*.

That's all I can think of for now. Y'all feel free to pitch in if you think of anything, lots of you guys can contribute a lot!

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,476 Posts
Quote:
I got to do it again- sorry- but I like you guys and so want to share with you-

OFF TOPIC- but great flight by our Eckace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVt3WIDyRDM
Amazing - well done! I can hardly see my plane at a quarter of that distance. Maybe I need to get glasses
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Chicago, USA
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
hs-81 failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Hi Travellinjack,

I wouldn't think it would be anything to do with the ESC unless the other servo and/or the receiver were blown as well. It sounds to me like you just got a bad one in the pair. Perhaps the gears bound up and caused the motor to fry, or something blew on the controller board inside the servo. I'm pretty sure that the Hitec HS-81s have a good reputation, but not every servo out of a mass production mound of them is going to be a good performer and long lived. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

I would test the outputs of the receiver by switching the remaining good servo onto the other channels and seeing if it still works properly. If that test goes well, then you know:

1) Your ESC is fine, because if it wasn't, you'd have a lot more trouble than one dead servo.

2) Your receiver is fine, because it works...

3) Your remaining servo is fine, also because it still works...

and...

4) You got a bad servo, because it's the only part that failed.

Finally, replace it with your servo of choice, and be glad that you got the random part failure out of the way for who knows how long, and also be glad that your plane and other parts are fine. Do be sure to check your linkages, especially the rudder linkage, for any binding, and fix it if needed, and then just move on and fly your plane knowing you dodged a bit of a bullet.

I crashed my very first EasyStar after only a couple of weeks because I forgot the horn screw in the rudder servo, and talk about a mess... It worked its way apart and she spiraled 50' down to nose into hard packed sandy dirt and took a lot of damage. I was very new back then and didn't really know what to do in those last seconds, so I probably made it way worse than it needed to be. You got off easy! ;-)

Oh, and about other servos. I've used both HXT900s and 939MGs on my EZ*s and have had exactly one of each fail on me, though with the HXT900 it stripped due to a crash and with the 939MG it stripped because I was experimenting with it on an application way too harsh for it. I think they are both great servos for EasyStar control surfaces, plus they are insanely cheap. I am presently using an HXT900 for the rudder, and 939MGs for the elevator and ailerons. I'd be going 939s all the way around but I was one short, lol.

Rick NR417

Rick and flypoppa,

Thanks for the advice. I did notice that my rudder servo was a little loose, and I adjusted the linkage a bit; it seems to travel more freely now. I suspect that this was the cause of the burnout of this servo. I still think that it wasn't binding enough to warrant failure, but I am glad that I was able to free up the linkage a bit.

I picked up a new hs-81 from my LHS and flew my EZ today.

I do think I will pick up this servo tester though:

http://www.amazon.com/Hangar-Digital.../dp/B0006OBNZQ

I think this seems like a very handy tool, and would have probably diagnosed the binding problem. Has anyone used one of these before?

thanks-
Alan
travellinjack is offline Find More Posts by travellinjack
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
We are starting a new Easy-type build- I am soliciting Ricks advice and this may be my first attempt at FPV....Money of course is a factor- but I feel the need ...
I would suggest you stop crashing and losing your cameras. That should save you a few bucks to put toward the FPV stuff.

What ever you do, don't go for the cheapest setup of hardware. When it comes to FPV gear you get what you pay for and if you go cheap you will end up losing your plane.

just my 2 cents.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I would suggest you stop crashing and losing your cameras. That should save you a few bucks to put toward the FPV stuff.

What ever you do, don't go for the cheapest setup of hardware. When it comes to FPV gear you get what you pay for and if you go cheap you will end up losing your plane.

just my 2 cents.
Hay we always find them mybe not in 1 piece but we find them.
We did have to get our friends metal detector once to find one of mine though tall grass sucks.

I also have never wittnessed Scott crashing landing to quickly mybe.
I think what Scott is looking for is a list of components and where to buy them for a quality setup not long range. He is great at soldering as some of his jobs required it.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Hay we always find them mybe not in 1 piece but we find them.
We did have to get our friends metal detector once to find one of mine though tall grass sucks.

I also have never wittnessed Scott crashing landing to quickly mybe.
I think what Scott is looking for is a list of components and where to buy them for a quality setup not long range. He is great at soldering as some of his jobs required it.
This is off topic but try Ready Made RC and DYI Drones. There are other sites but these will give you and idea about hardware and costs
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
This is off topic but try Ready Made RC and DYI Drones. There are other sites but these will give you and idea about hardware and costs
Don't forget Walmart for the beer. They always seem a couple bucks cheaper than others.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:47 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellinjack View Post
Rick and flypoppa,

Thanks for the advice. I did notice that my rudder servo was a little loose, and I adjusted the linkage a bit; it seems to travel more freely now. I suspect that this was the cause of the burnout of this servo. I still think that it wasn't binding enough to warrant failure, but I am glad that I was able to free up the linkage a bit.

I picked up a new hs-81 from my LHS and flew my EZ today.

I do think I will pick up this servo tester though:

http://www.amazon.com/Hangar-Digital.../dp/B0006OBNZQ

I think this seems like a very handy tool, and would have probably diagnosed the binding problem. Has anyone used one of these before?

thanks-
Alan
Good info here on servo testing.... >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1242343

Info on testing BEC's...>>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277428
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:

just my 2 cents.
You know - it can be a bit expensive entertaining ya'll with crashes and camera losses- but what really burns me is when I lose a memory chip- screw the camera- the chip is the treasure... cause when i crash- I want the video !!!

The most cameras carried aloft at one time is 5- 2 hk's , 2 key cams, and a gopro- on an easystar- editing 5 or 6 cam views into a video can take days- or one all nighter- like 6-8 hours or more

the most camera's destroyed in one crash is 3- a key cam. an hk cam, and a gopro - all destroyed on my SSS as the stock esc overheated and it locked up and did a power on 45 degree dive from 700 feet to the pavement- we found 2 of three micro sd cards- that plane is too heavy -lol
Makes me glad I am not a real pilot as I pick up my plane pieces and am still alive to watch the crash footage and drink beer

hell it takes us a case of beer just to watch them all- bob flys 3 and i fly 2 or 3, ad if we fly 3 or 4 times- thats like 20 videos we watch while guzzling beers every sunday- My wife thinks it is worse than football- we use the sony big screen and take over the living room-lol

I counted cameras the other day- we have purchased 11 HK wing cams, 4 808 #3's, 3 #11s, 4 #16's (the d lens really sucks-blurry), 1 gopro 960, 1 gopro naked, 2 sony bloggies, 1 kodak easyshare flew away on a slowstick- never found, a couple cheap action cams, and newest and so far a really good camera- the HK wing cam II, it is near gopro quality at half the weight and price..

this doesn't count my every day ground cameras- which i have 3 or 4..

thats like 30 cameras and currently I have 6 of them intact-lol so- I think I can afford FPV- muhhahahaha
Last edited by scottdearinger; Dec 05, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
here is the death of the SSS- 8 foot easystar clone- and the only crash where i manage to kill a gopro- I haven't decided to rebuild or get another one yet- plane is too heavy and doesn't crash well-lol

this plane needs a new motor and ESC right out of the box- way underpowered by our standards- and we killed it by upping the prop size and overheating the stock esc -locking up controls- at least that our best guess..

Violent Death of my Super Skysurfer (4 min 5 sec)