HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
We will soon be posting some vids here again with our bixie star 1.1's we have coming..
already we have ordered trick mounts for bigger motors and props aka rick style stuff....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Hey, just wanted to drop in very quickly and give some closure to some comments I'd made earlier about wanting to coat my EasyStar's wings with some kind of liquid plastic for strengthening and general protection as well as hopefully lowering friction.

At the time, I was looking at polyacrylic floor finishes, specifically Pledge With Future Shine. It *does* work to a point, gives a nice shine but really very little in terms of protection and strengthening. Then I did some more research and found the Holy Grail of solutions for just this very thing - Minwax Gloss Water Based Polyurethane. Wow is this stuff great. One coat is all it takes and it's twice as shiny as the polyacrylic and goes on heavily enough to substantially strengthen the wing foam with just that one coating. Make your coat heavy enough and you'll be really surprised at how the foam stiffens up especially in the thin spots like the wingtips. It gives the whole wing a look like some kind of exotic, honeycombed, polished stone and is very smooth to the touch when cured. I *really* like it. I'm sure it adds some small amount of weight but I don't think it's that bad unless you get crazy and start doing multiple coats. I feel that the friction reduction makes it worth it, plus it makes the wings a bit more damage resistant and definitely more rigid. Think of it the same way you think of laminating or taping, except this is paintable for perfectly even results in one go if you're good with a brush. One could mix in some colorant to use it to paint the plane, or as a clearcoat over a real paintjob. And it does not damage the foam at all... doesn't do anything to it except coat it.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience with that in case anyone was interested. The product is this - and yes it's a very small can but I barely used any to do both main wings top and bottom sides:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

Edit: One quick note - Don't get it too heavy in any one coat and then allow it to run. Any drips and tracks that are too thick will have a yellow-orange cast like varnish. This stuff dries really quickly, so get your coat on with a good brush and make sure you don't have anything running. Follow the can's instructions just like you were making furniture finishes with it, and you'll do fine.

Another more exotic idea I've had but haven't yet had the cahones to try out is mixing this stuff with strontium aluminate glow powder. They say not to mix it with water based paints and coatings because it damages the performance of the glow powder, but I've made "paints" with it using regular Elmer's white wood glue with no ill effect. Strontium aluminate is VERY bright and glows for up to 8 hours when fullly charged up, so not only would a strontium aluminate painted plane be VERY cool at night, doing this could also save your plane if you lose it in heavy brush / trees and simply cannot find it at all. Just wait till full nighttime dark, and let your eyes fully adjust
to the dark and look for the glowing object. If that fails you, then use a camera capable of good, long exposures and photograph the area a section at a time until you see a glowing spot in the photographs. It could make all the difference to locating your lost plane, and it never needs batteries. If you don't find it in the first day, then just wait for daylight to charge it up again, and come back again at night to keep looking for the glow - easy peasy. I can think of lots of times this would have REALLY helped me or others. :-)

If I was going to do it, I'd apply the powder by painting it mixed into something thinner like the Pledge polyacryllic stuff or thinned out polyurethane, or dusting it over that, then letting dry, then overcoating with the polyurethane. This would avoid going too heavy with the wing coating while still allowing the super durable end result. In the daytime, the paint job would look like it had a dusting of tiny yellowish white grains, but at night it would positively scream in bright green glow if enough powder was used.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Nov 20, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Largest prop motor combination

I have my EZ* fitted with a BL motor mount sliding type

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multiplex...-/160691657764

What would be the largest prop I can fit and what motor did you use with it.

Frankly it is quite powerful with a 2800 KV 6x4 prop but I have to justify the purchase of the mount.

I am hoping "not to reinvent the wheel"
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
I have my EZ* fitted with a BL motor mount sliding type

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multiplex...-/160691657764

What would be the largest prop I can fit and what motor did you use with it.

Frankly it is quite powerful with a 2800 KV 6x4 prop but I have to justify the purchase of the mount.

I am hoping "not to reinvent the wheel"
rcmaverick,

since the item text clearly states:

Position 1: stock height up to a 6" prop.
Position 2: (+) 0.41" for up to a 7" prop.
Position 3: (+) 1.0" for up to an 8" prop.

why don't you go with that?

a 2822 outrunner will spin any of those props.

I'd never mount an adaptor like that (I'd buy an ES ll instead), but if I was was somehow stranded on a deserted island with an adaptorized ES 1 and an unlimited supply of motors and props, I'd try out a 7x5 APC prop on a 2822, 1200-1500kv outrunner
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:24 AM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Hi,

I have a ES2 that is leaning to the left if no throttle, and to the right if i aply throttle.

Do you have any idea?

Thx,
Gábor
Gabek is offline Find More Posts by Gabek
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
I just received my Hitec Sky Scout (rx ready version). I installed a receiver, connected the servos and BEC and it runs like a sewing machine, quiet but powerful.

So far, all good. But, when I put in my 3s 1300mAh battery, and push it all the way to the front, the plane is still VERY tail heavy! I'm getting a 3s 2200mAh battery and will try that. Have any of you guys had this kind of COG problem with your ES 2s? I hate to add dead weight, so would prefer a battery to do the job.

p.s. Is there, or will there be a separate thread for the Sky Scout?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
With my ez*s I have to use a 3s 2200 to get the cog OK. Untill you get a 2200 you should use a bit of ballast with your 1300.
As for a thread for your 'Sky scout' do a search.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Magyarország, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Feb 2008
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I just received my Hitec Sky Scout (rx ready version). I installed a receiver, connected the servos and BEC and it runs like a sewing machine, quiet but powerful.

So far, all good. But, when I put in my 3s 1300mAh battery, and push it all the way to the front, the plane is still VERY tail heavy! I'm getting a 3s 2200mAh battery and will try that. Have any of you guys had this kind of COG problem with your ES 2s? I hate to add dead weight, so would prefer a battery to do the job.

p.s. Is there, or will there be a separate thread for the Sky Scout?
This is not a problem. Use a bigger battery as useful weight.
You will have like a 30m flight time using 2200.
Dont be afraid of a bigger battery, this plane handles weight well.

My ES2 is carrying lots of weight. It is 1,6 kg with battery.

Gábor
Gabek is offline Find More Posts by Gabek
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
rcmaverick,

I'd never mount an adaptor like that (I'd buy an ES ll instead), but if I was was somehow stranded on a deserted island with an adaptorized ES 1 and an unlimited supply of motors and props, I'd try out a 7x5 APC prop on a 2822, 1200-1500kv outrunner
What is wrong with this adaptor? Does it create a torque roll?
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:31 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the adaptor, and only a big prop will create torque roll (and there's no escaping that). I have one of those myself and I use a 7x4 prop on an 1800kv outrunner on mine, set to position 2. Mine flies beautifully, regardless of how I am hitting or not hitting the throttle. Then too, it's not a BIG prop so there you go. The larger the prop disk diameter, the more it is going to torque the aircraft, especially noticeable during large changes in throttle.

One thing I REALLY like about this adaptor is that it is a hollow tube, perfectly matched to the inner diameter of the nacelle, so it fits perfectly and it's very lightweight AND because it is a tube you can feed your motor wires through it. Just be aware that your motor has to mount in an outboard position on these so choose your motor type with that in mind. For me, that's ALL bonus because it helps push the CG tailward, and thus I need less balast weight in the tail for a proper CG.

I love to experiment with props and motors so this mount is great to have.

Oh, one quick note... If you lose any of the mount's screws, you can substitute with PC motherboard type screws. I do PC repair and the occasional build for a side living so I always have a ton of these screws laying around, and BONUS they have locking ridges on the undersides of the heads. :-)

Another note - Make absolutely sure you line that mount up STRAIGHT with respect to the center of the plane. If you're off to the left or right and glue it that way, it will cause you to steer to the opposite direction. Same basic idea as a downthrust angle, but affecting the lateral instead of the vertical. I slipped up on mine the first time and had it off slightly but thankfully in the right direction to correct for an already present need for yaw correction. My powerline wire crash knocked the glue free so I got myself a second chance to fix it, and I did. My error wasn't enough to worry about anyway but if you had it off center enough it would definitely cause a thrust angle steering issue.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabek View Post
This is not a problem. Use a bigger battery as useful weight.
You will have like a 30m flight time using 2200.
Dont be afraid of a bigger battery, this plane handles weight well.

My ES2 is carrying lots of weight. It is 1,6 kg with battery.

Gábor
OK, I'm good to go. A friend gave me two 3S 2200 mAh batteries. I stuffed one of them into the Sky Scout and it will be perfect! All the way forward is nose heavy so I'll easily find the sweet spot. A strip of Velcro to hold the battery in place and I'm ready to maiden! Thanks to all of you for your help.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
40 Posts
Hi, has anyone tried an EZ* mod like this? It seems a lot simpler than wing ailerons.
Easystar with canard type ailerons (0 min 21 sec)
Altitud3 is offline Find More Posts by Altitud3
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:23 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitud3 View Post
Hi, has anyone tried an EZ* mod like this? It seems a lot simpler than wing ailerons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtnQovVbjs
Interesting. Got to have a video when you test fly it.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:16 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitud3 View Post
Hi, has anyone tried an EZ* mod like this? It seems a lot simpler than wing ailerons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtnQovVbjs
I would be interested in watching a video of it in flight to see how much control they give you.

Also depending on how stiff those winglets are I would be concerned with the plane coming out of a loop. They may want to fold up.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, CO
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Oh, yes, the 808 #16 does NOT like cold weather. It usually cuts recording after a few minutes in the cold airstream...
Here in Colorado, I definitely notice shorter flying times in winter. This will be the first winter for me flying ez*ii as I flew the EDF Syncro last winter. Three things that worked for me last winter was blocking the the front intake (ESC didn't overheat since temps were below freezing), embedding the 808 cam within the removable canoy (with only the lens sticking out), and finally, making sure all electronics were semi-watertight or stowed within the fuse... I make lots of snow landings. Blocking the air-intake is a MUST for snow landings... heehee

Anywho, that's how I rigged my old EDF Syncro for cold/snow flying. Any good tips for the ez*ii before I take her up this winter?
w0lfman is offline Find More Posts by w0lfman