SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Rick

Your windy weather video came out smoother than my calm weather one but I notice you fly a whole lot faster than I do. I'm still flying it like a thermal soarer, hard habit to get out of. So now I wait for a windy day.

So tell us about your Zephyr

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:55 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
746 Posts
Awesome video Rick, really enjoyed it! I love to listen to Rihanna, but on your plane I love it even more to listen to that screaming motor and wind while you hit the throttle .

And what a beautiful place to fly! You're really blessed with such large accessible space. I don't wanna be grumpy but here in the f*cking Netherlands every square inch is occupied, fenced, built, guarded or forbidden. Or it is open water

Some other highlights:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4127
Thanks for that very detailed description of how to balance motor/hub/prop. Didn't know your ink-trick yet. Looks very promising, I'll definitely try it soon.

And of course this one. I guess from a distance, horizontal cables are invisible when looking through an FPV cam:
Name: Cable_inspection.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 115.8 KB
Description: Cable inspection huh?

I hope your new shiny EZ* is still in one piece.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Awesome video Rick, really enjoyed it! I love to listen to Rihanna, but on your plane I love it even more to listen to that screaming motor and wind while you hit the throttle .
I have plenty of footage for a typical Rick video from the day I hit that wire. I do want to put it up, probably will set about finishing it up on my next days off.

Quote:
And what a beautiful place to fly! You're really blessed with such large accessible space. I don't wanna be grumpy but here in the f*cking Netherlands every square inch is occupied, fenced, built, guarded or forbidden. Or it is open water
Yeah when I first started into RC flight, I started out there... and fell so in love with that place that I was heartbroken when I was asked to leave. 1 mile square of big fields, now with lakes and sand and cool construction/landscaping vehicles... and that's just part of it. Around that is miles and miles of woodland. In the morning, you can see patches of fog in the distance and flocks of great egrets that look tiny because of the distance. Oh is it ever good to have that place back. :-)

I and one of the lady powered-paraglider pilots had a talk about just this thing. They are flying around with those big ol' chutes with big ol' LOUD motors on them, and so it's way harder for them to find places to fly where they don't get immediately thrown out. It's similar for me though... I either fly at a club and feel like I'm trapped inside a 300' square box while more senior club members and local residents scrutinize my every move, or I use whatever spot I can find that doesn't have "FELONY TRESPASS" marked all over it and roll the dice every time I fly. Those paraglider flyers and I are both thanking our stars that we have that place... for now. It never lasts - someone will build it up or fence it in and then we'll all have to go somewhere else. It's inevitable.

That said, so far I'm good at finding places to go. I definitely feel for you guys that have to scrounge for flying areas. I give thanks for what I have and pray I never have to pack it up and make due with memories.

Gene, speaking of which... Do you ever go to the R/Sea Hawks club site in Cape Coral? They gots a cool little paved runway and every so often they put on an air show for the public. It's pretty awesome. :-)

Quote:
Some other highlights:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4127
Thanks for that very detailed description of how to balance motor/hub/prop. Didn't know your ink-trick yet. Looks very promising, I'll definitely try it soon.
Welcome. Took me almost two years to come up with the ink idea... definitely helps with balancing, love it. :-)

Quote:
And of course this one. I guess from a distance, horizontal cables are invisible when looking through an FPV cam:
Attachment 5303446

I hope your new shiny EZ* is still in one piece.

Martin
Lol there's that infamous picture... still gives me a little shiver to look at it. I saw all the other wires before I came up to them, but that one, for whatever reason, was so hard to see that even in the HD view it's like nothing nothing nothing WIRE! Bam! Lol. That's FPV though... wires are a real hazard in FPV because of the resolution limits of the video system. In fact, many small objects can go completely missed until later when you sit down and watch the recording.

She's totally ace right now. I just got done adding a minor addition to keep the wings from drifting loose during a flight, so next time out I'll wanna test that. She also picked up some road rash on the undersides of the dihedrals during the last couple flights, from ROG takeoffs. I came up with a really slick solution for that, that I am a little ashamed of for not thinking of before. Next time I do a narrated video, I'll cover both mods. Also found out something interesting about the video transmission system, that should really improve my distance and solidity on my video link. Three no-brainer ideas in one day... and three things to test on the next flight. Aside of that, she's gorgeous and still sparkly despite several little and not so little whoopses. I LOVE having a new plane again, and this time with some experience under my belt. She flies SO much better than the old one did, it's fantastic. :-)

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Rick

Your windy weather video came out smoother than my calm weather one but I notice you fly a whole lot faster than I do. I'm still flying it like a thermal soarer, hard habit to get out of. So now I wait for a windy day.

So tell us about your Zephyr

Terry
Hey, I hit a thermal on the day I shot that video... I think my first real one. I had just taken off and I was up about 200 feet really fast. I was thinking, "Wow... but I'm still using the same setup, what's going on here?" Ended up climbing to 500' AGL and when I'd nose down a little, it's like she didn't wanna come down, lol. Pretty neat, never had that happen before.

I'm sure my liberal use of power does make a big difference, yes. I calculated that I was consuming about 7-8 amps average across my flights, which on 3S puts me at somewhere between 70 - 90 watts typical... and considerably higher than that at times. She can manage almost 400 watts in if I want, but I only use that for takeoffs and hard maneuvers because at WOT she just climbs to about 50mph in no wind and then hangs there shaking like mad, lol. I'm thinking of backing down to a 1500kv of the same motor make/model because frankly I'm way above what I need.

Oh also don't forget that the keycam I have is wide angle, it's the #16 "D" model. Don't remember what you're using but the wide angle smooths out videos dramatically and also makes forward motion look a lot faster.

Don't have the Zeph yet... A friend saw me posting about them and offered me his old one, for cost of shipping. It needs some stuff but I was like HO yeah! Definitely want this one. Still waiting to hear back on what shipping cost will be. I've already been researching what to get for it, how I'll set it up, even how I'll launch it. I'm like a kid who knows what he's getting for Christmas, lol.

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Nov 14, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Gene, speaking of which... Do you ever go to the R/Sea Hawks club site in Cape Coral? They gots a cool little paved runway and every so often they put on an air show for the public. It's pretty awesome. :-)

Rick NR417
Never been there. I'll have to look them up. Most clubs like that frown on bringing beer, firearms and wild women to the field when flying. Dunno why...guess it's a regional blue law or something.

Where's the place you're flying in the video? By the airport?
Like to check that place out. Send me a KMZ google earth file on it's location if you will. Maybe someday I can show up with my shotgun paint ball gun and see if I can hit your plane in flight.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Never been there. I'll have to look them up. Most clubs like that frown on bringing beer, firearms and wild women to the field when flying. Dunno why...guess it's a regional blue law or something.

Like to check that place out. Send me a KMZ google earth file on it's location if you will. Maybe someday I can show up with my shotgun potato cannon African Grey attack-parrot butterfly net bag of super-balls pack of wild coyotes Nerf-Warrior Nerf Minigun Red Ryder bb gun and see if I can hit your plane in flight.
Crap, I'll have to adjust my "plans" for that club... Didn't figure they'd be so STRICT.

Lol no it's not by the airport. It's down by Bonita Springs, out in no man's land. There's an occasional small aircraft that flies through the area, probably scoping out the many huge farm fields, but that's all. That's part of why I like it so much. Do you really think that a group of powered paraglider pilots would pick a spot close to an international airport?

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Crap, I'll have to adjust my "plans" for that club... Didn't figure they'd be so STRICT.

Lol no it's not by the airport. It's down by Bonita Springs, out in no man's land. There's an occasional small aircraft that flies through the area, probably scoping out the many huge farm fields, but that's all. That's part of why I like it so much. Do you really think that a group of powered paraglider pilots would pick a spot close to an international airport?

Rick NR417
No, guess not but I don't know how sane these people are. I mean YOU flew near it before.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
No, guess not but I don't know how sane these people are. I mean YOU flew near it before.
I'm not a good example for the average recreational pilot. ;-)

They're pretty sane, kinda have to be. When WE crash, we pick up our plane debris out of an area it possible isn't supposed to be in, and we dig for the wallet to cover the damages. When THEY crash, their body is in an area it possibly isn't supposed to be, and they or their loved ones dig out the wallet to pay the medical bills. I have a lot of respect for them because while we are both flying in the gray area of unregulated flight, they're doing it physically. Their gear is also a lot more expensive than ours. Just the fiberglass or wood propeller blade goes around $250.

I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder whether they are truly sane or not, given the risks involved, really. They're interesting though, at least. :-)

Rick NR417
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Like to check that place out. Send me a KMZ google earth file on it's location if you will. Maybe someday I can show up with my shotgun paint ball gun and see if I can hit your plane in flight.
Gene Join our club but you have to bring your own beer.

We learn from flying by airports they land better than we do but we try.
Google earth what the heck is that? as I'm not the touchy feely kind of guy.
Firearms and women are optional but you will score points if ya bring em.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:14 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
this is off topic but ya gotta hear Eckace giggle like a girl- we are awaiting our new Easyxlers and playing with wings in the meantime...

Hobby King Skyfun 100mph Maiden (3 min 47 sec)
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
It's Scott & Bob, as I live and breathe! Hey, you chaps, come on in and sit yerselves down - you're always welcome around here for a cuppa tea or some of that weak stuff you call beer.......

Hoo-ee! That is one rapid hunk o' foam! You've just got to get a camera on that....?!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
And nothing got bust. Is this a first for the crazy pair?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
I thought that summat was missing from that video...
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Hahaha so funny. And you know, it brings back some real memories - the way it flies and the sound of the motor/prop. I don't like the foam they are made of, but they really, truly are FUN to fly. I've thought lots of times of getting one again and FPV'ing it, or maybe even just keeping it as an acrobatic LOS flyer. They're a riot for sure... and yet... when balanced right, they can float down for a landing nearly vertical and very flat with a bit of a head wind. Some of my best times were learning to fly that bird LOS, doing loops and rolls over my head. :-)

Rick NR417
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel blink View Post
it's scott & bob, as i live and breathe! Hey, you chaps, come on in and sit yerselves down - you're always welcome around here for a cuppa tea or some of that weak stuff you call beer.......

Hoo-ee! That is one rapid hunk o' foam! You've just got to get a camera on that....?!
cameras will ride on saturday -also a radar gun will be used

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypoppa View Post
and nothing got bust. Is this a first for the crazy pair?
almost lol - we try not to crash on every 5th sunday in the month

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrunner417 View Post
hahaha so funny. And you know, it brings back some real memories - the way it flies and the sound of the motor/prop. I don't like the foam they are made of, but they really, truly are fun to fly. I've thought lots of times of getting one again and fpv'ing it, or maybe even just keeping it as an acrobatic los flyer. They're a riot for sure... And yet... When balanced right, they can float down for a landing nearly vertical and very flat with a bit of a head wind. Some of my best times were learning to fly that bird los, doing loops and rolls over my head. :-)

rick nr417
yes it is a fun bird and the foam isnt ez* quality- but still fun
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger