to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
where? I followed your link and can't see it. Unless I am going blind..
Here it is.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak View Post
Here it is.
Thanks. I did not see that on my iPad. I was not getting the whole picture.
Defiantly looks like a BIXLER.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post

I can now confirm by 1. hand experience that it will easily land on water.
Apart from the FPV cam, which I'm struggling to bring back to life, everything else is fine. Suggestions for a simple visual stall warning are welcome. Piece of thread on the nose, perhaps?
Ha! Wowwww... I bet the ducks were like, "Oh.. it's one of them weird ducks from Ohio... Don't look at him, he'll come over here and try to make weird conversation or something like they always do..."

Glad everything was ok apart from the FPV cam and I hope that it comes around too. Try setting it on a really warm heating pad overnight to see if the warmth drives out any leftover moisture.

Honestly, I "felt" like your plane was going to stall. Maybe it's because I knew how the ending was going to be in advance, but just something about the bobbly way she was flying told me you were skating a fine line. I guess I'm also a bit used to the apparent airspeed as seen through the goggles, because it seemed like a very slow approach to me. Between the two, I felt a bit on edge watching it. Gosh, I don't suppose that could be in part from experiencing similar things, could it?

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:30 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Hey there Mike, I've been here all along - I'm like the Cheshire Cat's eyes, floating in the ether.....

Me, I've an EZ2 as well now, having dabbled a little in FPV with the EZ1 - realised I would need to spend some money on a decent FPV cam & screen (or goggles) so that's on the back burner for a while.

Recently, I've returned to my roots, and have just completed a Vintage balsa build of the first model I ever had - a Keilkraft Ajax, only this time electric and RC....
It must be your age Col! Several years ago I had the urge to go back to my roots and found plans for a Keil Kraft Playboy which I originally built (with a lot of help from my Dad) when I was about 10. Great fun flying rubber power after all those years. Sadly it was sat on by my grandson so was ceremoniously cremated. (The playboy, not my grandson even though I was tempted!)
Great idea going electric with the Ajax - look forward to the photos and report.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
Great idea going electric with the Ajax - look forward to the photos and report.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668006

Please excuse the off topic post, ladles and jellyspoons...!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:22 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Ha! Wowwww... I bet the ducks were like, "Oh.. it's one of them weird ducks from Ohio... Don't look at him, he'll come over here and try to make weird conversation or something like they always do..."

Glad everything was ok apart from the FPV cam and I hope that it comes around too. Try setting it on a really warm heating pad overnight to see if the warmth drives out any leftover moisture.

Honestly, I "felt" like your plane was going to stall. Maybe it's because I knew how the ending was going to be in advance, but just something about the bobbly way she was flying told me you were skating a fine line. I guess I'm also a bit used to the apparent airspeed as seen through the goggles, because it seemed like a very slow approach to me. Between the two, I felt a bit on edge watching it. Gosh, I don't suppose that could be in part from experiencing similar things, could it?

Rick NR417
Rick,

thanks. I have washed and carefully brused the cam with destilled water and left it overnight in the oven a bowl of rice, but I can see a little corrosion has formed on some of the IC pins. It's still drying in the sun today, so I'll give another shot.

The plane is a lightweight twin motor conversion (680g AUW FPV), which does have a very low stall speed, but appearantly, I still managed to blow it.

Watching the video afterwards, I can see to distinct mistakes; First one is that I line up with the surface of the water, not the lawn behind beach, which is 2-3' above it . That forces me to try to ascend when the plane is almost out of speed and actually triggers the stall. Second Mistake is that I cut power too much on the final - in two steps even...
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:28 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:

Damn you Colonel, My fingers are itching for the feel of hobby knife through balsa and I long for the heady odour of balsa cement and doped tissue! That thread is almost better than this one.
Sorry Guys - No more off topic from me.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:

2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:10 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Well, here I come with bad news again...

I had repaired my EZ after the last big crash, which did a LOT of damage, and I also reconfigured the plane to be more like it was in the "good old days". Back then, I was doing easy cruising on 4 - 5 amps, running 6+ mile round trips on a 3000mAH pack and loving it. I had my 808HD keycam on the right wingtop, and the FPV cam in its little pillbottle panning turret, and life was good. Flying was more about where to go and what to see than worrying about if the plane would come home or not. I logged a lot of uneventful flights and I felt really accomplished. Then I got GoPro crazy, had some bad crashes, and did probably irreparable harm to the wings by coating them in a liquid plastic film, which did distort the wingshape somewhat. I thought she'd be fine, but today proved a bad feeling I was getting after the last time and the crash that resulted.

Anyway, I went to the usual place where I do quadcopter flights and plane testing, and right away I knew I was in a lot of trouble. It was windy, but nothing I haven't flown in before, and ROG takeoff was actually pretty easy. I was thinking I was back in the good times until I noticed how wild she seemed in the air. This was purely FPV, thank God, because had I been flying LOS I would surely have lost her almost right away just like last time. Any time I did a turn, she'd wobble shakily into it, and on the slower speed right hand turns she'd want to snap and roll. I had enough time to really think about what she was doing this time, and my bad feeling seemed pretty well proven - distortion of the airfoil shape made her unbalanced and eager to tipstall to the right.

As I was struggling to keep her fairly close, keep her from tipstalling, and avoid going too high, too low, and too close to obstacles, I got the ultimate nervousness booster - the local rent-a-cop paid me a visit on his golf cart. I knew it was coming because lol on a return pass I saw him cruising along the parking lots toward my car, haha. Gotta love the recon advantage of FPV. Anyway, between the crazy flight characteristics and having security guy next to my car asking me if I work there, my hands were shaking like mad.

I explained to him, while flying over 1000' out in crazy zigzags mind you, what I was doing and I even showed him the live feed on my laptop monitor. The hilarious thing was, he was like "no big deal" about it. He actually said, "Oh ok then... Well you just take your time. I was just wondering who you were." Hahahaha omg I couldn't help but chuckle as he pulled away... like hey whatever, like this sort of thing is a daily affair there or something.

And then, what just HAD to happen, finally did happen. After having survived some near misses with trees, buildings, and powerlines, she did the inevitable on final approach. And that's the awful thing about it - I KNEW I was going to be taking her home in pieces again. In retrospect, I should have gunned the motor to keep her moving fast, and came in hot and low... but I was too high up and I just really wanted to get her on the ground so I could rest.

I could see my car, the big grass strip, and security guy's little golf cart parked just to the side of my landing path. I JUST cleared him, and down she went, heavy tipstall to the right and SMACK. This time, the electronics all did spectacularly well (except for the 3S 3000 Zippy Flightmax, which was crushed badly) and I haven't found any damages to the flight or FPV systems. The plane however was again badly damaged - broken tail, broken wing, and crushed nose and canopy foam bigtime.

So... I'm retiring my baby because she's simply beyond my trust now. I don't really have the confidence in my skills to rework the wingshapes and I don't want to put my expensive electronics at risk for more testing on a squirrely plane again. Also, I mean geez... all the fractures throughout the body must look like a plane-shaped spiderweb by now from all the many disasters she's seen. She's been my best girl since January of 2011 and taught me to not only fly proper LOS, but also FPV.

And that brings me to the hard decision... I have a big car payment that will be on my back for a few years, and Christmas is coming up and I want to be able to get myself back in the air without a big expense... If I want to stay in the hobby then I have to cut expenses all I can. So I'm going to get myself a Bixler 2 to cut expenses down on a new plane. Just the kit version of the EasyStar 2 is $110, where the Bix 2 kit is just $42 before insanely high shipping and still only $70 something after. That's a $40 difference that I can be putting into a couple new battery packs and whatever minimal parts expenses I'll need in order to finish the build. Going the EasyStar 2 route would have me easily at $150 by the time I'm done. I *could* be persuaded to do another EasyStar 1 but man it's like Multiplex rounded them all up and exterminated them. That's horribly unfair because the EasyStar 1 kit was only $74 before shipping if I recall right, competitively priced against the Bix 2 and probably a lot more durable than the Bix 2.

So that's where I'm at. If I go with this decision it means I'll be just here for the conversation... wouldn't feel right at all posting Bix vids here.

*grumble grumble* :-(

Rick NR417
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:18 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
One note - I'm also considering building an EasyStar 1 from replacement parts on eBay. It depends on how high the total cost goes.

Looks like Phil's Hobby Shop on eBay would be the best bet... I can get the tail assy, wings, and fuse for something just about $69 before shipping.

Rick NR417
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
864 Posts
I just built/rebuilt my old EasyStar 1 using ta kit off eBay - just the fuse and wings etc- and cut ailerons into the wings. I did this after flying an EasyStar II for a while and missing the original, which somehow seems to fly better for me. I like that the original is a little bit wider so it's easier to pack bigger batteries in and other electronics. I haven't dumped my EasyStar II, it's still fully functional and on standby, but I prefer my number one.

I've also have a Bixler, which is great but not as good as the EasyStar. Doesn't feel as tough and doesn't carry stuff with the same ease. I can practically chuck stuff on the EasyStar willy nilly and it doesn't seem to care, but the Bixler is finely balanced and just won't fly right if everything's not perfectly placed, and it doesn't cope as well in high/low winds. Haven't tried the Bixler 2 though.
RC Flying UK is online now Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
One note - I'm also considering building an EasyStar 1 from replacement parts on eBay. It depends on how high the total cost goes.

Looks like Phil's Hobby Shop on eBay would be the best bet... I can get the tail assy, wings, and fuse for something just about $69 before shipping.

Rick NR417
Rick, I have a extra fuse you are welcome to if you want. We're close enough to meet up so no shipping. It's in a Pod I had sent from NJ so it won't be here till Friday.

Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, NJ, Denville
Joined May 2007
203 Posts
I have spare Easy Star 1 parts, let me know if you are interested. I am located in NJ
syed is offline Find More Posts by syed
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Rick, I have a extra fuse you are welcome to if you want. We're close enough to meet up so no shipping. It's in a Pod I had sent from NJ so it won't be here till Friday.

Gene
Is that a green pod from NJ?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202