HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Just poking my head in, been a long time since I have been on, and longer since I have flown. Gotta get the EZ back together for a flight or two before the winter sets in. Heading south though for vacation in a week, so possibly around the end of the month.

Just to make sure I stay on topic, I am a fan of the Layer Lens for the Go-Pro as well, really nice piece, protects the lens and lets you get rid of the big heavy case. Now I just need to figure out a little wind protector for the mic!

_Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:02 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
Gene,

please tell me that this one is Photoshop:

mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:54 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Gene,

please tell me that this one is Photoshop:

I can till you that the picture it is not the correct way up. It was a rocket assist take off.
So they would have you believe.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
Snow on the hilltops in Fairbanks, and the thermometer has nowhere to go but down. What is the coldest weather you've tried to fly your EasyStar? How do the servo and battery wires fare - cracked insulation?Do transmitter and onboard batteries lose power? What else goes wrong?
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
Snow on the hilltops in Fairbanks, and the thermometer has nowhere to go but down. What is the coldest weather you've tried to fly your EasyStar? How do the servo and battery wires fare - cracked insulation?Do transmitter and onboard batteries lose power? What else goes wrong?
Flew at -18C........ once....

Wire insulation ok... Flight batt don't like it (lipo) lose charge/output fast(er)... but there can be a "self heating" effect if you "fly hard". Keep batt out of airflow.
Watch out for servos freezing up!
Motor and ESC ok.

Plastic parts get brittle...

Fingers get cold....wear gloves... Tx batt ok, since was a fresh charge and I didn't fly for long....

Tha's all I got....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
I also found little problems with the gear, at least down to -5-10*C. Just keep your LiPos in a pocket till you install them, and possibly wrap your Tx battery in a little foam. Consider blocking the front air intake of the plane.

Your fingers are likely to be the biggest problem if there is any wind at all.

Oh, yes, the 808 #16 does NOT like cold weather. It usually cuts recording after a few minutes in the cold airstream...
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:45 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
It's already down around freezing, already wearing gloves. Soon I'll have to switch to mittens and abandon the baseball cap for a stocking cap to cover the ears!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,931 Posts
why is there an EASYSTAR in the timeline for the redbull stratos jump

http://www.redbullstratos.com/the-mi...sion-timeline/

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hey anyone knows where Rick is hiding these days??
BOO!

Hey y'all, good to see you guys again. :-)

I've been lurking here actually for uh.... several minutes this last few months, lol. Actually, I took some time off flying. Last time I flew the EZ, I came away with some damages from bad hand launches, and the one successful flight had bad problems with video cutting out (turned out to be a dying FPV cam). Last week, I dusted her off, finished some mods and repairs, and took her out for an LOS test flight. BAD... bad bad bad. Also, it was bad. I may have had the CG too far tailward and she appeared to stall and then spiral 50' nose down into asphalt. I didn't have one of them new fangled layer lens thingees so when the GoPro ejected, the lens pretty much disintegrated on impact. The FPV cam smacked the asphalt as well, and was totally killed. The plane broke it's tail boom at the base and also the right wing at the joint, and fractured in several places at the canopy. I repaired the plane and replaced the FPV cam, and during testing I found out that the VTX was also damaged... so I took my last one off my little robot drone and put it on the plane, end of problems there. Just today I fixed some minor problems with the DOSD current sensor and redid the entire layout of the plane to go back to how I had it before I started flying with the GoPro. I have one of the new 808HD #16 cams on order and when it comes in I am going to piggyback it on top of the FPV cam turret, similar to the setup with the GoPro but obviously much lighter. She'll look like she used to with the pillbottle cam turret, just with a keycam stuck on top.of it. I may attempt to power the keycam from a servo lead to the radio control RX.

All that's left to do after that is a quickie replacement of the DragonLink antenna cable that got cut by the prop in the crash, and she'll be ready for a flight test again, this Sunday.

How's things with everyone? Good to see you there, Scott! Also good to see that Gene is still Gene!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:58 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup View Post
why is there an EASYSTAR in the timeline for the redbull stratos jump

http://www.redbullstratos.com/the-mi...sion-timeline/

Regards Jeff
where? I followed your link and can't see it. Unless I am going blind..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:11 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
where? I followed your link and can't see it. Unless I am going blind..
Yeers probablyand you know what causes that

Click on link then when you see the guy in the space suit scroll mouse wheel toward you the balloon will scroll across the mission sections and in ascent phase you will see two planes the lower one is for all the world a easystar ( or close enough modified ? )

I just cant get the staff

Your best mate jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:04 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,090 Posts
Oy bestest mate. I still can't see it. But remember I am using my iPad.
Are you sure it is an Easystar, or maybe it's a BIXLER...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Only a true FPV EasyStar would be associated with altitude records. ;-)

Bixler Altitude Record - 06/24/2012 (6 min 54 sec)

Or...

FPV record Altitude 13,398' AGL (4060m) FPV (11 min 3 sec)

You decide!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Oct 09, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
brief return

Hey there. It is good to see a few of the old crew are still around. My bet is that they are off flying the EZ*II. I don't have one (yet). It seems like it would have to improve a LOT to be better than present EZ*. I have been very busy keeping the thread that I started updated. It is now the most popular thread on RCG thanks to all the help that I have gotten from guys in here.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
brief return

Hey there. It is good to see a few of the old crew are still around. My bet is that they are off flying the EZ*II. I don't have one (yet). It seems like it would have to improve a LOT to be better than present EZ*. I have been very busy keeping the thread that I started updated. It is now the most popular thread on RCG thanks to all the help that I have gotten from guys in here.
AJ
P.S. I see now that this thread is for the I and II. It looks like jergin put up a thread for competition.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker