HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,833 Posts
Nice bit of flying was that you Jurgen ? There appears to be something stuck on the starboard wing camera perhaps ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Nice bit of flying was that you Jurgen ? There appears to be something stuck on the starboard wing camera perhaps ?

Terry
I was just doing the video. The models were piloted by the MPX display team in Dortmund. I don't think something was stuck on the wing, but rather the sticker coming loose.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
EasyStar II Indoor ...

InterModellBau 2012 - EasyStar II Indoor (1 min 2 sec)

Pilot: Marc Faulhaber (12)

Jürgen
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Gr-UChgYQ

Pilot: Marc Faulhaber (12)

Jürgen
Two things strike me about that video:

1) I can't wait to be able to fly like that by the time I reach 12 years of age

2) There's no way on this Earth that a public event organiser would get insurance to put on a show like that in Australia unless the crowd were seated (with seatbelts) behind redundant layers of steel mesh and bulletproof perspex. I'm actually amazed by the way he was not only able but also allowed to fly so close to the audience.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
2) There's no way on this Earth that a public event organiser would get insurance to put on a show like that in Australia unless the crowd were seated (with seatbelts) behind redundant layers of steel mesh and bulletproof perspex. I'm actually amazed by the way he was not only able but also allowed to fly so close to the audience.
If you look closely, you will see the green safety net for the spectators. Indoor pilots prefer solid walls, as it is much harder to estimate the distance to the net.

Jürgen
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
If you look closely, you will see the green safety net for the spectators. Indoor pilots prefer solid walls, as it is much harder to estimate the distance to the net.

Jürgen
Ah, OK, I see it now. It's more visible on the camera's left, away from the majority of the audience, because the panning seems to slow down when the camera is facing that way.

It must take excellent depth perception to be able to keep the plane within those "fuzzy" confines of the net. Very impressive flying. Thanks for sharing the video.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Great flying in a small flying area. Well done. It flies just like my Skysurfer !
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Blasphemy! Throw him out!
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,752 Posts
Now then.....

Just playing with a camera pan installation, controlled by the LH stick (ie what would be the rudder channel if I had ailerons...I'm on Mode 2). Strange thing is that when I operate the actual rudder (ie RH stick), the pan servo moves - just a couple of degrees, but a definite movement. Every time; and the movement sense is related to the rudder movement sense.

Anyone any ideas why and what to do to stop it?????
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I'm guessing all the channel mixing is off?

I'd be tempted to see if the movement occurs when the rudder servo is disconnected from the RX, in case it's something in there. Would a ferrite chokey thing help?
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Joined Jan 2011
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Now then.....

Just playing with a camera pan installation, controlled by the LH stick (ie what would be the rudder channel if I had ailerons...I'm on Mode 2). Strange thing is that when I operate the actual rudder (ie RH stick), the pan servo moves - just a couple of degrees, but a definite movement. Every time; and the movement sense is related to the rudder movement sense.

Anyone any ideas why and what to do to stop it?????
Sounds like an AIL->RUD mix on the Tx. I can't recall if you mentioned what sort of Tx you're using, but if you can't seem to hunt down the unwanted mix I suggest specifying the make and model. Someone may be able to explain how and where to find all the potential mix settings within the Tx menu structure.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Awesome flight and good piloting- love to see aileron rolls with an EZ- still stuck on 3 channels in the US.....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:16 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
I flew that other plane of mine into the clouds today- first time I have ever done that- and had a gopro mounted on it for the first time ! Eckace made it into the clouds also- ceiling was at about 1500ft- was too cool- we carried 6 cameras aloft on 2 flights- I got 12 clips to edit together!!!
I best get busy....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
I'm guessing all the channel mixing is off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Sounds like an AIL->RUD mix on the Tx..
Good thinking! That does fit the evidence - I'll check it out later today, but I'm sure when I bought the (second hand) Tx that I reset everything to default before I began fiddling. In my defence for not thinking of that, it is the first Tx I've had with mixing....
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,752 Posts
Oh dear - Programmable mixing and wing mixing are both showing as 'inhibited'....

I'll try:
a) Braiding (plaiting) the wires to the rudder & elevator servos (as a father of a 10yr old girl, plaiting is second nature as I do her hair most nights)
b) If no luck, I'll try a toroid on the pan servo wire
c) Failing all else, I'll put some mixing in to counteract the unwanted movement

At the end of the day, if I can't run the problem down it isn't the end of the world because it only moves a few degrees, and so doesn't really affect the viewpoint.