HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:31 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Just thought I,d show some pics of my night ez star!
Wow that is Some serious UFO call generating lights mate....

Pretty !!!
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEastKilla View Post
o man, I got to excited and took the situation into my own hands.

Ive got some wire management to do yet. Not sure if ill throw ailerons on or not. Im going to fly it first.
Frankinstar, glue some bolts on the sides to complete the look
Please drill a hole through the mount under the motor to route the wires.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:19 PM
low'n'slow is the way to go
United States, MN
Joined Sep 2008
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
Frankinstar, glue some bolts on the sides to complete the look
Please drill a hole through the mount under the motor to route the wires.
yea, i was planning on doing that originally and probably will at some point but id like to see if it flies at all first. Im going to fix the wires to the fuselage before I fly tho.
DeepEastKilla is offline Find More Posts by DeepEastKilla
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to RC and planning to purchase an Easystar for my first plane. I would like to eventually get into FPV once I am proficient at flying and so the Easystar seems ideal due to it's suitability for noobs and FPV capabilities.

I plan to buy a kit, with the motor and servo arms included. However I will be purchasing the other components separately, I have been reading around and there is a vast amount of choice available. I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me on my components.

I was thinking:

Futaba 6 Channel 72mhz radio (heard 72 is best for FPV due to boost capabilities and less problematic.

Battery: I was unsure, LiPo seems the best although I don't really know much about this. A recommended one is a 7.4v Li-ploy of 1500-2100mah as it is good with both brushed and brushless motors (for when I upgrade)

Motor: Is included with kit and is 400 size Permax with 5in pusher prop, motor is 6v.

Servos: Any thoughts on HXTMicro Serves with metal gears? Or are others recommended. I would rather get good servos now than have to change them to avoid failure and loss of my FPV kit when I upgrade, are these good enough?

Speed Control: Minimum of 8Amp is recommended, any recommendations?

Also, is it possible to remove servos and motors from the model and install new ones, how does this work with glue and the like?

Thanks for the help, I look forward to joining the community!
acid_rainbow is offline Find More Posts by acid_rainbow
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_rainbow View Post
Hey guys and girls,

I'm new to RC and planning to purchase an Easystar for my first plane. I would like to eventually get into FPV once I am proficient at flying and so the Easystar seems ideal due to it's suitability for noobs and FPV capabilities.

I plan to buy a kit, with the motor and servo arms included. However I will be purchasing the other components separately, I have been reading around and there is a vast amount of choice available. I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me on my components.

I was thinking:

Futaba 6 Channel 72mhz radio (heard 72 is best for FPV due to boost capabilities and less problematic.

Battery: I was unsure, LiPo seems the best although I don't really know much about this. A recommended one is a 7.4v Li-ploy of 1500-2100mah as it is good with both brushed and brushless motors (for when I upgrade)

Motor: Is included with kit and is 400 size Permax with 5in pusher prop, motor is 6v.

Servos: Any thoughts on HXTMicro Serves with metal gears? Or are others recommended. I would rather get good servos now than have to change them to avoid failure and loss of my FPV kit when I upgrade, are these good enough?

Also, is it possible to remove servos and motors from the model and install new ones, how does this work with glue and the like?

Get a 2000- 2200-2400 kv motor and run a 3 cell 11.1 volt lipo battery- i use 1800's and 2200mah batteries- you will need the extra umph and runtime when you go FPV.
Esc should be much larger 30 amp maybe- too big is better than not big enough.
My setup is 2200kv motor, 3s 25c 2200mah batt, with a 30 amp ESC- running a 6x4 prop- I lift a gopro and a couple small cams all at the same time- keeps working- and I also use metal geared servos- but hs55's worked for me in last EZ before I rebuilt with new kit-
Also consider just getting the ARF kit (like $74) and order your electronics... it is probably easier to build it up than taking a RTF apart and back together- but I am not sure as I have only bought all components separate and built the kit-(twice now) regular CA glue works great with this foam

Welcome to the thread- there are some experts here- of which I am not just yet...But I believe my advice here is on target...
Last edited by scottdearinger; Apr 08, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Hey guys- my Easy flew well today but my Radian Died a messy death---BUT IT IS ON VIDEO-YAY- Available soon...
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Hey guys- my Easy flew well today but my Radian Died a messy death---BUT IT IS ON VIDEO-YAY- Available soon...
Messy would be an understatment 3 cams everywhere and took us 1/2 hour to find them. The last one we were looking for I found the lens assembly before the rest of the cam. Best thing is it only broke in 4 pieces so rebuild shouldn't be to hard. OK initial investigation Scott needs new spinner, prop 1 servo , receiver,bottom hatch cover,skid plate,and hk wing cam.along with some gluing and straitening.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
got it glued together and ordered a new cam- even though broke one still works- h

but back to EZ stars- here is last Sundays flight where we might make the local paper--

RC Easystars make the local newspaper..wmv (5 min 15 sec)
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
got it glued together and ordered a new cam- even though broke one still works- h

but back to EZ stars- here is last Sundays flight where we might make the local paper--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2t1e9fmUKA
Nice. Just don't let the newspaper guy say "drone" anywhere in his report.

That term seems to give people bad vibes.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Nice. Just don't let the newspaper guy say "drone" anywhere in his report.

That term seems to give people bad vibes.
I hear that- just read a "drone" story last week- and they managed to make a fun Quad copter sound ominous and "oh no" at the same time they talked about the guys having fun with it.

here is link to my radian death video posted on the rad thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21276881
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:46 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Get a 2000- 2200-2400 kv motor and run a 3 cell 11.1 volt lipo battery- i use 1800's and 2200mah batteries- you will need the extra umph and runtime when you go FPV.
Esc should be much larger 30 amp maybe- too big is better than not big enough.
My setup is 2200kv motor, 3s 25c 2200mah batt, with a 30 amp ESC- running a 6x4 prop- I lift a gopro and a couple small cams all at the same time- keeps working- and I also use metal geared servos- but hs55's worked for me in last EZ before I rebuilt with new kit-
Also consider just getting the ARF kit (like $74) and order your electronics... it is probably easier to build it up than taking a RTF apart and back together- but I am not sure as I have only bought all components separate and built the kit-(twice now) regular CA glue works great with this foam

Welcome to the thread- there are some experts here- of which I am not just yet...But I believe my advice here is on target...
Okay great, is it difficult to attach the motor though, my concern is that it I will need to build some kind of structure to house it as it may not be the correct shape, did you have to do this with your 2200kv motor? Is there any harm in getting a big speed control to begin with, even if I am running a small motor, is bigger always better, apart from regarding the weight?

I just don't understand how components can be removed once they have been super glued on, how does this work

Thanks
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:14 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
I just don't understand how components can be removed once they have been super glued on, how does this work

Thanks
You can do wonderful things with a sharp model knife.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:26 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys and girls,

I was thinking:

Why don't you do yourself a favour and buy the Receive Ready EasyStar 2? And while I remember, 72mhz is illegal in the UK. I think you need to take a massive step back from all this and concentrate on one thing at a time. For now, you should concentrate on buying a cheap foam trainer and finding someone local to help you. Your first plane will likely as not die, so don't worry about future upgrades.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Apr 09, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Okay great, is it difficult to attach the motor though, my concern is that it I will need to build some kind of structure to house it as it may not be the correct shape, did you have to do this with your 2200kv motor? Is there any harm in getting a big speed control to begin with, even if I am running a small motor, is bigger always better, apart from regarding the weight?

Thanks
My motor from headsuprc fits in Ez perfectly and you may use CA debonder and it works well- just make sure you clean area well before regluing as it will continue to work- and yes you can use an ESC thats oversized with out problems- dont worry about ESC weight the EZ wont notice a difference of a few grams..
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Okay, didn't know a knife could be so effective!

I have checked and you are correct Gerry, 72mHz is illegal in the UK, the allotted Frequency band is around 35 to 40. I guess that means I will need to purchases a 2.4ghz radio.

Thanks Scott for the comment around the ESC. I have heard the EasyStar is good at carrying weight.

Gerry the easystar is essentially a trainer, I just want to make sure I get the components correct now, so I don't have to spend money in the future on various upgrades.

Does anyone have a good link to a thread where I can calculate if a possible electronic setup will work or overstrain the system?

Thanks for all the help so far!