HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Heck. I can't find things bigger than that sometimes and I am way younger than you.

Vince
After a few beers, I have trouble locating my house
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
Colonel

You might like to invest in some elastomer camera retention technology to avoid your camera going AWOL next time the planet gets in your way , See picture

The other end goes round one of the ESC wires

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
You might like to invest in some elastomer camera retention technology to avoid your camera going AWOL next time the planet gets in your way , See picture. The other end goes round one of the ESC wires. Regards Terry
Actually, that aint a bad idea.... Usually the cam is held by the ubiquitous velcro, plus a good old GPO rubber band around the fuz. To look backwards for that vid, I'd moved it atop the cockpit and it was just the rubber band holding it. Hence no fore and aft retention......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Here's the nearly-finished nosejob, before and during the external prep for a paint job (not an EZ, but the principle is the same )
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Here's the nearly-finished nosejob, before and during the external prep for a paint job (not an EZ, but the principle is the same )
I like your fuse drying hanger.

How much extra weight do you figure your going to add between the wood and glue?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that Multiplex does not recommend the use of epoxy on Elapor. Wording is along the lines of "while the join may appear acceptable, the bond between epoxy and the foam is only superficial".

My suggestion is to use Uhu Por instead (easier to get in EU and AU), or Welders (US). Those glues are far superior to epoxy if foam is at least one of the materials being glued, and they remain somewhat flexible which greatly helps to absorb impact on the next "hard landing".
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,753 Posts
I like using 3m90 and henrys fiber cloth.
Very strong but flexible.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:08 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Good crash Colonel B- we are there now... I am not alone- thank you

here is a pic of what Eckace andI flew on sunday- we had a news Photographer show up and snap away at us for the local paper- but alas they haven't used us yet- too many babes laying out vs our planes vying for the good weather interest pics.

Name: Des Moines-20120401-00428.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 227.8 KB
Description: only part of our airforce

and there is 2 EZ's in the pic
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I like your fuse drying hanger.

How much extra weight do you figure your going to add between the wood and glue?
A maximum of about 80g tops - I think even the epoxys I'm using are now water-based (EU laws) so when completely dry, it will probably be even less. Bear in mind I also removed 95g of lead from the nose before starting

With regard to the epoxy bonding - the centre (primary) bonding was done with a "fast" flexible, clear 'rubbery' epoxy. The outer 'filler' bonding was with a less reactive but stronger/more rigid (and sandable) epoxy. The primer coating is mainly polyU - has flex.

The 'hanger' is an old sock dryer that the missus converted to a herb dryer, and I have now borrowed as a plane dryer

One anecdote for thought - when I first hung the fuse up - after nasal surgery was complete, and after 1st resin coat was dry - the original clips gave way and the fuse hit the tiled floor nose-first.. ..and bounced as if it was on a spring. I wonder if it will bounce as much when full of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Just thought I'd mention that Multiplex does not recommend the use of epoxy on Elapor. Wording is along the lines of "while the join may appear acceptable, the bond between epoxy and the foam is only superficial".

My suggestion is to use Uhu Por instead (easier to get in EU and AU), or Welders (US). Those glues are far superior to epoxy if foam is at least one of the materials being glued, and they remain somewhat flexible which greatly helps to absorb impact on the next "hard landing".
Thanks for the heads-up, I hadn't read that before. I'm assuming they mean surface-to-surface bonding, rather than exposed/split foam? (As Elapor is just a variant of 'standard' foam, surely the chemical composition is nearly identical? Isn't most of the difference in the foaming/curing processes?)

I do use UHU-POR, mainly for control horns, etc because, IMO, the bond to elapor-style foam surfaces isn't that strong and if I break a horn, it can be peeled off.

I guess a lot is in the application - pressing/spreading in the adhesive of choice will create a stronger bond because it will squidge down a ways in between the foam. Blobbing the adhesive will create a weaker bond. Just my thoughts on it

I have a bundle of 3mm CF solid rods to add (well, 2 to this plane) that should help transfer shock along the fuse (and hopefully dissipate it too!)
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Apr 04, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,253 Posts
I don't think Multiplex recommends epoxy anywhere on their planes. The bond that CA performs on Elapor is pretty damn strong. Spray kicker on one side, give it 10 -15 seconds to dry, put a little CA on the other side, and stick 'em together. Make sure to check alignment first because the parts will bond almost instantly.

As far as Z-Foam (Horizon) and Aerocell (Great Planes), I use foam-safe CA on non-critical bonds (regular CA won't eat the foam but doesn't appear to bond as strong for some reason) and 5-minute Epoxy on structural or critical joints.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 07:47 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
I am working on sundays EZ video- and here is the location of our radian video..
Sunday was marvelous flight weather- 85 degrees with light variable winds.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...22599&page=762
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:53 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
here is a pic of what Eckace andI flew on sunday- we had a news Photographer show up and snap away at us for the local paper- but alas they haven't used us yet- too many babes laying out vs our planes vying for the good weather interest pics.

Attachment 4757880

Now I understand the reasoning behind the psychedelic-colored EZ* - camouflage for a field full of dandelions!

And, that wasn't a news photographer - it was a prosecuting attorney gathering evidence...
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Actually, that aint a bad idea.... Usually the cam is held by the ubiquitous velcro, plus a good old GPO rubber band around the fuz. To look backwards for that vid, I'd moved it atop the cockpit and it was just the rubber band holding it. Hence no fore and aft retention......
I started off using velcro but got too much wobble in the picture under power so I wnt to double sided carpet tape. Then I found I tend to edit out all the footage taken under power as the camera is looking at the sky and I seem to have more trouble holding the model on a steady course under power.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I started off using velcro but got too much wobble in the picture under power so I wnt to double sided carpet tape. Then I found I tend to edit out all the footage taken under power as the camera is looking at the sky and I seem to have more trouble holding the model on a steady course under power.

Terry
When the missus releases the purse strings a bit (and the company pay my backdated invoices) I'm aiming for a #16 keyfob or two (one for AF Junior, who's broken his Christmas present already..)

On one hand, I'm awed by the videos you guys post, but on the other (like Terry) I end up looking at sky for half the video. I would love to fit my camera at a 45 degree down angle right into the nose; seeing the height/horizon and landscape gives me goose pimples (that's why I'm nervous of FPV for now) - with my landing ability (minimal and bumpy), is this such a good idea?

Edit: this year I will mostly be dribbling over this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080p-Spor...item3a72925089
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Apr 04, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Good crash Colonel B- we are there now... I am not alone- thank you

Attachment 4757880

I see the Urinator is sporting some new wings. What did Bob do with the old ones anyway?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202