HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:52 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmetrico View Post
Hello, greatings to everybody here. Nice huge (series) thread.
I purchased an EZstar MK1. It was in sale and come up for a nice price, so it's time to join the group of EZ flyers.
I want to equip it for FPV so I have a couple of questions before starting building it. I've read a lot of posts, very helpful but at least a couple of answers were unanswered.

1- First the motor. There is a little clearance for the prop and I have understood that the max usable (without cutting a slot) is a 6". I have several motors to use, including a Suppo like 2212-06 2200Kv, an EMAX 2212 1600Kv and others with lower Kv. My doubt is that the Suppo is by far too powerful and mabe the 2212 fits better. The real doubt is that with a so little propo the efficiency will be low. What would be the max flying time with a 3s 2200mAh? Is it there a better solution?

2- I've read that many people use to cut the two sections below the wing to have more sace to fit things. Do this weakens the fuselage? I think yes and will be less crash resistant. Your experience?

I'm thinking of not gluing the fuselage for the first flights until I'll have a better idea of the best config and weight distribution. At first I'd like to mount it using some fibre tape. It should be strong enough to keep the fuse on even it will add some weight. Correct?

Thanks for your support.

Al
I'm using my EasyStar for FPV as well. There's a great thread about the FPV EasyStar at here. If you're going to use an outrunner, I highly recommend buying this motor mount. It's extremely well-made and very affordable. It allows you to use lower kV motors to run bigger props, which helps achieve longer flight times due to the lower amps. I have a 7x5 prop on my motor (the kV is escaping me at the moment) with room for an 8" should the need arise. I'm getting 15 minutes out of a 2600 mAh battery and that's also powering the camera too.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA comment period ends today
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
Wingbreaker
Italy, Lazio, Albano Laziale
Joined Oct 2008
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I'm using my EasyStar for FPV as well. There's a great thread about the FPV EasyStar at here. If you're going to use an outrunner, I highly recommend buying this motor mount. It's extremely well-made and very affordable. It allows you to use lower kV motors to run bigger props, which helps achieve longer flight times due to the lower amps. I have a 7x5 prop on my motor (the kV is escaping me at the moment) with room for an 8" should the need arise. I'm getting 15 minutes out of a 2600 mAh battery and that's also powering the camera too.
Very nice mount. I thought to build something similar, but apart aerodynamics it moves further up yhe thrust point and would pitch down the model when thrust is applied. You should increase the incidence and this would use power just to keep the model straight reducing efficiency.
Did you notice a change in pitch or the height difference is so little that is not noticeable?

Al
asimmetrico is offline Find More Posts by asimmetrico
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmetrico View Post
Very nice mount. I thought to build something similar, but apart aerodynamics it moves further up yhe thrust point and would pitch down the model when thrust is applied. You should increase the incidence and this would use power just to keep the model straight reducing efficiency.
Did you notice a change in pitch or the height difference is so little that is not noticeable?

Al
Nope, no issue with the motor mounted at that height. It didn't (and shouldn't) make a difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
I picked up the same mount Mike mentioned, very well made. Attempting to use a 1400 KV motor with an 8 inch prop. I was ready for a maden flight yesterday and as I was getting ready to leave the house it started to rain... drat drat and double drats. Hopefully Saturday I will get a chance to test the new plane out.

_Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,077 Posts
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...f=MOTOR+MOUNTS

Another place for motor mounts. M/D also makes some Killer motors.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Scott says.....Inquiring minds want to know- so where is the crash video? I wanna see it- I share all mine....do we get to see it soon? when? how soon? Is it cool? are we there yet?
This has been a trauma involving three computers and four different editing packages. But here it is FWIW....

The Colonel's Crash (3 min 35 sec)
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Apr 03, 2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Finally embedded!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
LOVE the ending!
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
LOVE the ending!
Hee hee... I don't think the colonel need apply to become a line umpire at Wimbledon...

Nice video though... until the pesky planet got in the way of a good loop!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:13 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Hee hee... I don't think the colonel need apply to become a line umpire at Wimbledon...

It must be sad when you get old and start to notice your eye sight going bad.

....and he blames the crash on the sun. Sure.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post

"pesky planet" I like that!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
It must be sad when you get old and start to notice your eye sight going bad.

....and he blames the crash on the sun. Sure.
Gene I don't think he noticed it yet or is in denial.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,553 Posts
How very dare you all!! Show a little respeck' to your...your...I would say elders, but having seen the state of some of you I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'll have you disbelievers know that on Sunday I made a one hour flight to revalidiate my pilot's licence - and the CAA say I'm fit and competent to fly real airyoplanes for another two years, so there. As long as it's only the models that I crash I'll be OK.

That hour cost more than an RTF EZ2 but one will simply tax the serfs a little more to cover it.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:02 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
This has been a trauma involving three computers and four different editing packages. But here it is FWIW....

http://vimeo.com/39657398
I ain't saying nuffin about Blinks age.. Well I can't can I? But the end of the vid was funny.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:15 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,737 Posts
Great video!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
How very dare you all!! Show a little respeck' to your...your...I would say elders, but having seen the state of some of you I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'll have you disbelievers know that on Sunday I made a one hour flight to revalidiate my pilot's licence - and the CAA say I'm fit and competent to fly real airyoplanes for another two years, so there. As long as it's only the models that I crash I'll be OK.

That hour cost more than an RTF EZ2 but one will simply tax the serfs a little more to cover it.
Colonel

Congrats on your pilot license re-validation. To me being ably to fly a real plane is well worth the cost of 2 RTF EZ's.

I wouldn't let the back seat drivers bother ya none about you not seeing the tiny camera in the tall grass. Missing something that small is not a condition of age.

Heck. I can't find things bigger than that sometimes and I am way younger than you.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202