HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
Flyin' the TW!
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jul 2008
270 Posts
Easy Star Kit

I purchased the Easy Star Kit and some components the other day from my LHS, put her together in a few hours, and Maidened on Tuesday. Wow. Incredible. I admit, I went a little overboard on the power system: a 3850 KV ( yeah, I know, crazy) brushless inrunner 50A esc, 2200 mah 30C lipo, and started out with an APC 6x4 prop, but then switched to the 5x4 stock that came with the brushed motor in the kit.

The reason I wanted too much motor, is I didn't know what would carry my GoPro. So the 3850 does just fine on 1/4 throttle, and climbs at half with the 6x4 prop. A little more throttle is needed with the 5x4.

Here's a vid:

Easy Star and Tuffwing 32 Flying at Olmos Park (7 min 59 sec)

My problem, is my motor is getting way too hot, and I'm concerned about cutting out more foam for better cooling
brookfreeman71 is offline Find More Posts by brookfreeman71
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I double dog dare ya.
I think he is really chicken
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfreeman71 View Post
The reason I wanted too much motor, is I didn't know what would carry my GoPro. So the 3850 does just fine on 1/4 throttle, and climbs at half with the 6x4 prop. A little more throttle is needed with the 5x4.
I reckon I could carry a GoPro even on my lowly "stock" EZ1 with its Permax 400 brushed motor. Another EZ that flies around mine all the time uses a 2700kv inrunner and 2S 2200mAh batteries. I reckon it could probably ROG with a GoPro attached. On 3S it would go vertical
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
I purchased the Easy Star Kit and some components the other day from my LHS, put her together in a few hours, and Maidened on Tuesday. Wow. Incredible. I admit, I went a little overboard on the power system: a 3850 KV ( yeah, I know, crazy) brushless inrunner 50A esc, 2200 mah 30C lipo, and started out with an APC 6x4 prop, but then switched to the 5x4 stock that came with the brushed motor in the kit.

Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pNog...F2MdHRsKfiaz0=

That is a hot motor and you are way over propped unless you are using a 2 cell lipo.

I would recomend a lower kv motor or a 4" prop but with a smaller prop you reduce thrust

My problem, is my motor is getting way too hot, and I'm concerned about cutting out more foam for better cooling
WOW 3800kv is a very hot motor I would try a 2s lipo if you want to use a 6x4 prop.
Or go with a lower kv motor around 2200-2500kv and a 3s lipo.
Scott uses a 2200kv motor 6x4 prop and a 3s 2200mah lipo flying a Gopro and 3 smaller cams
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Last edited by eckace1; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:03 AM
Flyin' the TW!
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jul 2008
270 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the motor. I didn't like the performance with the 5x4, so I'm going back to the 6x4. I don't have the cash for a new motor, or a big 2s batt.

I slightly increased the size of the cooling hole. I'm gonna fly her at 1/4, and half. The motor is only attached with double sided tape. So it should be easy to remove once I can get a new motor.

Need that big batt for nose weight!!!
brookfreeman71 is offline Find More Posts by brookfreeman71
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Feb 2012
60 Posts
easy star component layout for fpv

How's it going everyone? I'm building an Easy Star for the first time after using my RTF version for some time. I wanted to ask some more experienced users for their input on this particularly for flying FPV, although this is mainly an Easy Star layout question. I've picked all my parts carefully, and I want to most likely use double sided tape like the RTF uses. At least until I decide if everything is set where I want it or if I decide to get an OSD etc.

Anyway, i've browsed the forum for pictures and I found a few that I will link to get your opinions. The first is from the "show us your plane" thread and the ESC is under the motor which looks like a pretty safe place for it however I don't know if it's best for cooling: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=23

The next comes from this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224075

The diagram there looks pretty good to me since I would like to have a sealed plane, my main issue is that my ESC is a Scorpion Commander and the wire leads are fairly short.I've read that it's not a good idea to extend the leads to the battery as it shortens the life of the ESC, however this would make mounting it much easier. I was thinking of making a little slot and laying the ESC in the top of the plane instead of attaching it on top protruding outward, would that work well enough for cooling?

All input is appreciated, also if anyone has any ideas for a sleek canopy mod for the camera i'm all ears. Thanks guys! -Eco
Eco888 is offline Find More Posts by Eco888
Last edited by Eco888; Mar 30, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I think this would be a better ESC placement for cooling, and keeps the wiring short (under 6"): http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...8-DSC_3317.jpg
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Your motor is getting hot, because you are running a very inefficient setup.

What puzzles me:

An expensive camera, but no cash for a cheap 2S battery or a lower kv motor?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Your motor is getting hot, because you are running a very inefficient setup.

What puzzles me:

An expensive camera, but no cash for a cheap 2S battery or a lower kv motor?

Jürgen
I agree with Jurgen. A new inrunner can cost as little as $20 and, in my opinion, would be the ideal fix. However, even if you went the route of a new 2 cell battery, that doesn't have to be more than $15, either.

And you talk about needing a big battery for nose weight, why don't you take the GoPro off of the tail and stick it in the cockpit The thing weighs like 6 ounces, how much more do you need?! (friendly jesting, of course)

-P.D.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
I think this would be a better ESC placement for cooling, and keeps the wiring short (under 6"): http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...8-DSC_3317.jpg
That's pretty much how I plan my setup to be (when SC2000 finally deliver me a camera, that is!). But it did cross my mind that it plonks the power & signal wires to the ESC right behind the Vtx, which I thought was a no-no......
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
VTX on the tail maybe?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:46 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
VTX on the tail maybe?
They are pretty heavy you know.........best positioned as close to CG as practicable.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
More Pixels!
Collegedale TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the motor. I didn't like the performance with the 5x4, so I'm going back to the 6x4. I don't have the cash for a new motor, or a big 2s batt.

I slightly increased the size of the cooling hole. I'm gonna fly her at 1/4, and half. The motor is only attached with double sided tape. So it should be easy to remove once I can get a new motor.

You could also switch to a 2S battery. Still need the current capacity. I've run the same KV range with 2S and it flew well with a camera. Plus, you're saving a bit of weight.
jbeckett is offline Find More Posts by jbeckett
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
They are pretty heavy you know.........best positioned as close to CG as practicable.
I was looking at one about 25g, then noticed they get bigger
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
746 Posts
Quote:

Brookfreeman71, I guess you're using a 2s lipo, so how much amps does it draw at full throttle?

I have two new Hyperion 3900kv inrunner motors (HP-X22L-3900) waiting on the shelf for some crazy project. I may try one of these in my EZ* someday, but I obviously need a stronger ESC, the question is how strong? Since I have two of these motors I could try a pair of big EDF's on the wings; the EZJet haha .

Thanks for sharing your video. Nice flying and also nice park btw.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182