Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:18 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Universal (removable) EasyMount (fits my Bix too):

I've fitted mine just under LE on the EZII, but it's flexible enough to grip securely 4" either way, depending on CG/preference.

JB Welded a CF rod to the trimmed gutter clip, used some of the excess tubing from the EZII to create the inner axle. The other option was to use the thinner (and lighter) EZ tube and wire, and add 'shock absorber' struts of the tubing.

I found the initial grip of the clip could be adjusted easily by holding it over a steaming kettle.

The grip is that 3M super velcro, circular pads (stops the plastic digging into the foam). Normal velcro pads should work just as well - a 14mm screw was put thru the base prior to fixing the axle - this will be covered with a bit of tube to make a securing peg into the fuse. A really tidy job would be to peg the tops too for extra security.

I'll add fixed struts today, just to help the JB weld in it's work, then clean up the excess goop when fully set
Hey Ashtonflyer,

FANTASTIC idea! I always like to find stuff in the hardware store that I can use on a plane. I also like to make things that can easily be removed when needed. Your landing gear mod does both! You can just pop it on, or take it off if you want to hand launch, or take off/land in snow. Great!!

May I make 2 suggestions? First, I'd consider putting a plastic tube vertically into the fuselage where the center screw goes up into it, with the inside diameter of the tube being just slightly larger than the outside diameter of the screw. This would be to protect the foam in case the stress of landing were to pull the wheels toward the tail, making the screw angle forward, ripping the foam. If you CA a plastic tube into the foam, it will protect the foam from damage.

Second, I would also suggest reinforcing the JB Weld joint with 2 small straps going over the axle (as seen in your photo) and screwed into the gutter clip. Hobby stores sell these as "landing gear straps." This would be to reinforce the axle attachment and keep it from twisting on landing. Here's a link to the source in the picture I'm attaching... these are probably too small, but it's just for the concept:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hp?prod=dh-238

No criticism, just some ideas on reinforcements for your great idea! I like what you've done. Keep the great ideas coming!

Let us know how it works when you get to fly it.

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Last edited by Chairwolf; Mar 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Hey Ashtonflyer,

FANTASTIC idea! I always like to find stuff in the hardware store that I can use on a plane. I also like to make things that can easily be removed when needed. Your landing gear mod does both! You can just pop it on, or take it off if you want to hand launch, or take off/land in snow. Great!!

May I make 2 suggestions? First, I'd consider putting a plastic tube vertically into the fuselage where the center screw goes up into it, with the inside diameter of the tube being just slightly larger than the outside diameter of the screw. This would be to protect the foam in case the stress of landing were to pull the wheels toward the tail, making the screw angle forward, ripping the foam. If you CA a plastic tube into the foam, it will protect the foam from damage.

Second, I would also suggest reinforcing the JB Weld joint with 2 small straps going over the axle (as seen in your photo) and screwed into the gutter clip. Hobby stores sell these as "landing gear straps." This would be to reinforce the axle attachment and keep it from twisting on landing. Here's a link to the source in the picture I'm attaching... these are probably too small, but it's just for the concept:

No criticism, just some ideas on reinforcements for your great idea! I like what you've done. Keep the great ideas coming!

Bob
ahhh.. perfect. I was looking for some kind of tiny U clip for the axle instead of the weld

Dammit, just remembered I have a ton of nylon P-clips that would've worked perfectly

I agree with the tube pegs - they will hold it tighter and reduce foam damage

edit: think I'll get my son to fly it while I video.. he's a much better pilot than videographer
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Mar 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Slightly(!) off-topic, but might be of interest to the non-2.4ers on here..

I've found a guide to reducing the half a yard of dangling aerial into an 181mm whip which, in theory, has no range reduction effect. Costs about $2 too!

I originally looked it up for my X-IT wing free gift, but if it works I'll use it on the EZ and the B-word plane too

http://www.flyquiet.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1911.0

Tried it and got about 10 feet range complete waste of time

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Looking forward to the landing gear video AshtonFlyer- looks pretty innovative.
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Hey Ashtonflyer,

Bob
That'll work... Cause it'll snap that epoxy right off the axle the first time he lands into his truck tire.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That'll work... Cause it'll snap that epoxy right off the axle the first time he lands into his truck tire.
As I told AshtonFlyer. Some people who not used to a wheel landing will land harder than expected which will make the plane bounce. Or if too hard will brake the landing gear.

Same application for people who fly a 172 Cessna for the first time. They bounce.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Mar 24, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added text
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Sep 2007
50 Posts
http://youtu.be/JvorjxkWhuM?hd=1Just got a gopro

does anyone know how to fix those artifacts in the youtube encoding? should I just use vimeo?
chasdabigone is offline Find More Posts by chasdabigone
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I wonder if a caterpillar-tracked armoured version would upset CG..

(Off to trial it in a bit - I have a choice of rugby pitch or WWII concrete runway!)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdabigone View Post
http://youtu.be/JvorjxkWhuM?hd=1Just got a gopro

does anyone know how to fix those artifacts in the youtube encoding? should I just use vimeo?
Lovely video (that final turn was a squeaky bum moment!)

I'm guessing those are encoding artifacts, seems pretty typical of Youtube. Vimeo is the best I've seen for HD stuff as it's unconverted - I think it has a 500mb limit.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:06 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,639 Posts
Quieting it down

I often fly my E star in quiet rural locations and I'm getting embarrassed by the noise it makes. I'm still using the stock brushed motor but with a slightly cut down 6x3.
I'm thinking of fitting a 1500Kv brushless motor on a 2S pack swinging an 8x4 prop.at about 9K rpm
Has anyone tried this and did it make an appreciable difference to the noise level ? I'm hoping for a significant reduction maybe half as loud.
Or is there a better way to do it ?

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
how to pre determine the stall speed of plane , ??

i was working on it rather low altitude and had a crash ,nose dive in the soft little muddy ground ,and have an litle bend where the servos are ,because from servo pocket till the tip of fuse i have carbon rods on the side of fuse,this can see when i put the canopy on tilted up 3 to 4 mm
is there a fix to straighten it ,or just keep on flying?????

i was thinking of glueing a 10cm piece of carbon rod under the servo pockets
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Last edited by RC Novice; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Novice View Post
how to pre determine the stall speed of plane , ??

i was working on it rather low altitude and had a crash ,nose dive in the soft little muddy ground.
I think you have already found the answer to that question.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I think you have already found the answer to that question.
yeah ,, im having little problem in calm and windy situations ,fly it better in little windy day than rather calm windless day , throttle managment i guess
RC Novice is offline Find More Posts by RC Novice
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:58 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Not really, if trimmed and COG is good it should have a good glide in calm conditions. In gusty conditions, just give a bit more nose down trim.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:42 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I often fly my E star in quiet rural locations and I'm getting embarrassed by the noise it makes. I'm still using the stock brushed motor but with a slightly cut down 6x3.
I'm thinking of fitting a 1500Kv brushless motor on a 2S pack swinging an 8x4 prop.at about 9K rpm
Has anyone tried this and did it make an appreciable difference to the noise level ? I'm hoping for a significant reduction maybe half as loud.
Or is there a better way to do it ?

Terry
The stock brushed motor + prop are not incredibly loud, but I do think there is a difference to the amount and type of noise that it'll make. The suggestion you posted above would probably work, but I can not speak for the 1500kv motor and 2 cell. Even with the 8" prop it *might* not have the get-up-and-go that you'd like. Personally, I'd run it on a 3 cell becasue you can still lower the throttle if you need to, but there's an extra "upper end" to the power train. Once you get the plane up and soaring, you don't need much throttle at all.

Generally lightening the plane will make a difference on the amount of throttle you need, also making it quieter.

A big prop will have a different sound than a small whizzing prop to begin with, so that'll help too.

My 2 cents.
-P.D.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40