Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:30 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Fine by me. Your lose.
I'm sure you meant 'your loss'; but I'll try and live with the shame.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Ok, why would someone not be ready for the best Tx battery solution?
Cost vs utility. Never be an early adopter - it saves buckets in the long run.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:17 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I'm also not keen on being told what to do.

I looked at eneloop, but they look to cost c50% more than std NiMH; personally this hobby is not the most important thing in my life to spend money on, so I aim at what I consider gives me the best utility. Eneloops ain't it.
I bet, that once you have bought some eneloop batteries, you will quickly change your mind and never look back.

With eneloop, you will never need to perform battery maintenance. You can leave your tx on the shelf for months without having to recharge it. It is still good to go when you want to go flying - even two years later if necessary.

I have discarded many NiCd and especially NiMH batteries in the past, some even after less than a year, but not a single eneloop yet (= great value for money).

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:01 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
OK a question which isn't about my EZ* but rather the Tx I'm using with it - if no-one can give me a definitive answer, or people think it's too OT I will repost in the radio section.

I have bought a Futaba T6EX tx off fleabay so the totally reliable but ageing T4VF (Skysport 4) can be a buddy box should I wish to let anyone 'have a go'. The T6EX came without charger; but luckily the old Skysport 4 charger fits & works.

However, I am finding that the 9.6V 700mAh(?) Nicad pack which came with the SS4 doesn't last anywhere near as long in the T6EX as it did in the SS4 - probably a combination of higher current drain (250mA against 180mA) and a fifteen year old Nicad.... so I looked for a replacement. Obviously Nicads are now deader than a dodo that's been hit by a bus, so it looks like NiMH is the way to go for me. Favourite at the moment is this:
http://www.overlander.co.uk/premium-..._store=default

So finally, my question is - can I use the old charger to charge this? It is marked as a "Ni-Cd charger model P-FBC10D4 (5U547SJL)". Charge rate is shown as 70mA.

However searching on "P-FBC10D4" gives returns for a different (blue) charger which is listed as doing both Nicad and NiMH. As it is a trickle charger, can mine also be used for NiMH??

I would go for the new generation low self discharge NiMh. They come ready to use. I can vouch for this E-bay seller.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TX-Pack-9-...item33677a6a42
That charger should be fine as it's well below the 10% of rated capacity trickle charge rate - it'll just take a bit longer to fully charge them from flat.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:11 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Whoops! This thread moves too fast so I missed all the 'discussion' about Eneloops. But Colin, I've been using these 'Vapextec' for over a year in my camera, Tx and as Rx batteries in my IC powered plane and only had to charge them a couple of times. I'll never bother with old style NiMh's again. And I use my old Futaba charger or the NiMh facility on my I-Max LiPo charger.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Last edited by mixer421; Jan 04, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: More info
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:08 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
Whoops! This thread moves too fast so I missed all the 'discussion' about Eneloops. But Colin, I've been using these 'Vapextec' for over a year in my camera, Tx and as Rx batteries in my IC powered plane and only had to charge them a couple of times. I'll never bother with old style NiMh's again. And I use my old Futaba charger or the NiMh facility on my I-Max LiPo charger.
How strange is this. As I was reading this post I am at present charging a new pack that I just received about ten minutes ago for my Futaba TX. " Googleing" Vapextec, I thought that they look like what I have just got. Checking I see that they are.
I hope that they are as good as you say.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
" Googleing" Vapextec, I thought that they look like what I have just got. Checking I see that they are.
I hope that they are as good as you say.
I personally would not bother with "eneloop-wannabee" batteries.

Look at the Vapextec homepage:

6 months About 80% of charge is held, 12 months About 70% of charge is held

Those figures are not that much better than a standard Sanyo NiMH:

6 months About 70% of charge is held, 12 months About 50% of charge is held

Now compare with the original eneloop battery technology:

http://www.eneloop.info/de/home/leis...entladung.html

6 months About 90% of charge is held, 12 months About 85% of charge is held, 24 months About 80% of charge is held, 36 months About 75% of charge is held

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post

Those figures are not that much better than a standard Sanyo NiMH:

6 months About 70% of charge is held, 12 months About 50% of charge is held

http://www.eneloop.info/de/home/leis...entladung.html

6 months About 90% of charge is held, 12 months About 85% of charge is held, 24 months About 80% of charge is held, 36 months About 75% of charge is held

Jürgen
I am so silly -I don't even know whats in my optic 6, I just plug it in each night before I fly- It seems to work-haha- but I sure have a lot to learn....
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:00 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Cost vs utility. Never be an early adopter - it saves buckets in the long run.
These batteries are proven. It's your loss if you get those other ones.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
I would go for the new generation low self discharge NiMh. They come ready to use. I can vouch for this E-bay seller.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TX-Pack-9-...item33677a6a42
That charger should be fine as it's well below the 10% of rated capacity trickle charge rate - it'll just take a bit longer to fully charge them from flat.
That's what I had read re the charger - I just wanted to see if it came from someone else unprompted. They are very keenly priced. I like the cut of your jib, Sir, and I will order one of those this very eve!!!

Quote:

6 months About 90% of charge is held, 12 months About 85% of charge is held.....

Jürgen
Jürgen - I am in no way disputing that they will be superior technology to NiMH, in the same way that I would doubt that you would dispute that NiMH is superior technology than the Nicads I currently have in my Tx. Also, with what I know of you through these forums, I would expect that you would demand the best.

My point is that for me, spending an extra £18 for the 10/15% difference in retained charge does not give a satisfying equation. In fact, I have no issue with the current Nicad per se, it's just that @ 700mAh & 15 years old, it's a little tired. If I could get a 1500mAh Nicad for £5, I'd use that over a £12 NiMH.

Quote:
These batteries are proven. It's your loss if you get those other ones.
I don't doubt that eneloops are proven (as are NiMH), but at the moment the price does not work for me. Hence my comments about utility which you seemed to have ignored. Perhaps you are confusing the concept with functionality. To assist you, have a look at this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility

Accepting a small loss in functionality can give a large gain in utility.

Last edited by Colonel Blink; Mar 10, 2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Discovered correct English plural of 'forum'
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
I don't even know whats in my optic 6, I just plug it in each night before I fly-...
That was how we did it the last 40+ years before we had Lithium batteries and LSD (Low Self-Discharge) NiMH batteries. Batteries age a lot quicker if you treat them this way and you also waste a lot of energy.

Also, you may miss out on a good flying day, if you forgot to charge your batteries.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,741 Posts
Quote:
Jürgen - I am in no way disputing that they will be superior technology to NiMH, in the same way that I would doubt that you would dispute that NiMH is superior technology than the Nicads I currently have in my Tx. Also, with what I know of you through these fora, I would expect that you would demand the best.
I don't doubt that eneloops are proven (as are NiMH), but at the moment the price does not work for me. ...
eneloop batteries also use NiMH chemistry. Based on the performance and durabilty of these batteries, I would also rate them "best value for money".

Buy cheap - buy twice!

Of course that does not mean that you don't have to compare prices. Have you checked for eneloop on Amazon?

Might be even worth while to order from Amazon.de or Amazon.com, as the prices for eneloop are higher at Amazon UK.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Jan 04, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Might be even worth while to order from Amazon.de or Amazon.com, as the prices for eneloop are higher at Amazon UK. Jürgen
I'll have a look this evening - thanks for the hint, Jürgen
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,741 Posts
Quote:
I'll have a look this evening - thanks for the hint, Jürgen
If I could find or make myself an 8-cell tx eneloop pack for approx. £20-22, I would go for it. Otherwise I would probably weaken and get a Vapextech pack for approx. £11 - hoping it is not just "vapor tech"

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:56 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,836 Posts
I have been Googleing those Eneloop batteries. To make a pack of 8 is not as costly as one would think.
If I had not just got the pack that I have then maybe I would have gone for them.
But do I need a battery that has a long store life? It's not if they are going into a device that will only sometimes be used.
It should be remembered that when any of this type of rechargeable battery starts to drop volts, it does so very fast. this is the one disadvantage of these.
So when the 'S' meter on the TX shows that it is getting off the full mark, then I will charge them.
I don't need to lose power in my TX when I have a model airborne.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa