HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:45 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Okay attachments back up- Now we need name suggestions for this colorful abomination...........

Attachment 4684747
The Rainbow Warrior

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bNErqklAJd4tAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fighter_%28song%29

If it's good enough for White Lion, baby it's good enough for an EasyStar!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
The Rainbow Warrior

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...bNErqklAJd4tAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fighter_%28song%29

If it's good enough for White Lion, baby it's good enough for an EasyStar!

Rick NR417
Rainbow? Ha. How about Pansy Star?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:08 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Rainbow? Ha. How about Pansy Star?
Hahahahaha that's a good second option, I admit. X-D

Rick NR417
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Just call it RASTASTAR mon.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:28 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
+1!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:17 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Sleazy Star?
Star-GAY-zer.

GayStar.

Fruit Looper.

Fruit of the Zoom.

SwishStar.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Just glued the fuse together on the whatever it's called- rainbow pansy spectra fruit halucinator star..started painting wing tops-tomorrow i may be able to put it together enough for you all to behold its total un-beauty--hmmm the purdy star?- so far I still like "halucinator"
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
And here it is... the long awaited maiden of my GoPro HD Hero aboard Miss AngryStar. Was a good run until the end - I couldn't really see the OSD readout very well, couldn't hear the alarm because the mic wasn't working, so I tapped the battery right out and ditched way out in the field. After I came back from the rescue mission, a guy that had been watching approached me and we shot the s**t about RC drones for a bit, was interesting and fun. All in all, I had a nice time aside of the sawgrass that got me in the leg and generally not wanting to walk through the wilds of Florida to begin with... And the GoPro footage was really very nice and the mount didn't fall all apart after all haha.

EasyStar 2-28-12: FPV GoPro Maiden Flight, Flown With Dragonlink! (14 min 56 sec)

Anyway, enjoy!

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Mar 05, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
it's plane and simple.
United States, PA
Joined Jun 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Okay attachments back up- Now we need name suggestions for this colorful abomination...........

Attachment 4684747

This is SO AWESOME. Must be a girl thing, but I think the more color the better
ms.pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by ms.pdiddyg40
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:26 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,785 Posts
Quote:
Sleazy Star?
Gene I see you have met my X.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:38 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.pdiddyg40 View Post
This is SO AWESOME. Must be a girl thing, but I think the more color the better
Thanks Ms P Will fly this week end- If we don't crash the cessna 172 I hired to take Eckace and I up and let us fly it- we will wear the gopro on our heads so ya'll can watch us fly the plane- hopefully no crash videos-lol
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Scott, how about the Vomit Comet :-)
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:17 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Rick, nice, I like the belly take off... how bad does it chew up the bottom of the plane?

And yes, video antenna is a good idea for FPV :-)

Quote:
And here it is... the long awaited maiden of my GoPro HD Hero aboard Miss AngryStar. Was a good run until the end - I couldn't really see the OSD readout very well, couldn't hear the alarm because the mic wasn't working, so I tapped the battery right out and ditched way out in the field. After I came back from the rescue mission, a guy that had been watching approached me and we shot the s**t about RC drones for a bit, was interesting and fun. All in all, I had a nice time aside of the sawgrass that got me in the leg and generally not wanting to walk through the wilds of Florida to begin with... And the GoPro footage was really very nice and the mount didn't fall all apart after all haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrhssvvWis

Anyway, enjoy!

Rick NR417
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
NightRunner - thanks again for the great info. I guess I will move on with more questions:

How is everyone securing the tail? I am using the stock double sided tape but I don't really trust it. When I crash the entire tail comes off. I am wondering if I would permanently glue it? Magnets? velcrow?

Also - see my servo linkage - is this normal? This is how it came in the box.

Thanks everyone.

Raygun

Quote:
Hi Raygun!

Welcome to the EasyStar thread! You're making a very good choice in planes with the EZ - you'll love her and she will love you back. :-)

I like about 300 watts for my AngryStar FPV attack drone. I'm currently using an Exceed RC Rocket Series 2220-1500KV motor spinning an APC 8x4E. It pulls about 27 amps absolute peak on takeoff (I take off from asphalt or gravel, belly skid style) and quickly falls off to about 24 amps peak WOT. It gives me more than enough power, but I fly with a GoPro on the nose so it's nice that it's there. You should be aware that using this big a prop requires modifying the motor mount (mine is about an inch taller than stock) or the prop would hit the tail boom. I *think* you can get away with a 7" prop on the stock if you groove the boom a bit, and a 7x5E goes REALLY nicely with this motor.... or you could do the 1800KV version to push it harder for say a 7x4E, both of which I also have. I've been through a lot of motors and props looking for just the right one, which I think I have now with that 8x4 and 1500kv. :-)

Before I got into bigger props and lower rpm motors, I was using 2200kv - 2500kv motors and 6" props. My favorite of those days was the Turnigy 2350kv red and black outrunner and 6x4 EMP prop (Hobbyking TGS Sport). That's an OUTRUNNER motor, which means the motor housing spins as well, which also requires changes to the mount. My favorite inrunner (no spinning housing) was a purple colored 2200kv that I believe I got from Heads Up RC. I ran that with the 6x4 EMP props and really liked it, I only moved away from it and into outrunners because I was ever chasing the ultimate in efficiency, low noise, and thrust.

Again, I need to say this - I LOVE the big 8x4 prop and 1500kv motor. It moves, it climbs, and it's quiet and efficient. I can blast along at over 40mph and rip the pack down to nothing in 12 minutes or less, or float along at just 4 - 5 amps and still climb gently, depending on conditions. :-)

Almost forgot to answer about ESC and LiPo. The Turnigy cheapie blue LiPo packs are great, maybe not the toughest ever but cheap as homemade sin so there's the tradeoff. I use a 3S 3000mAH Turnigy blue in my EZ, it *just* fits and it provides about the most capacity you're ever going to fit in there reasonably. You can also try to cram two of the 3S 2200mAH packs in there in parallel but that's a little more insane than even I will do. It makes the nose very heavy and then you have to bias with moving every silly thing backward and adding tail weight. As for ESC's, I really really like the Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium ESC's, they're simply great. I go with a 60A, actually it's an EMAX but I am pretty sure it's the same underlying device as the Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium 60A. It's a throwback to the days where I was experimenting with a LOT more power (upward of 500 watts) and needed the high current handling. Now that I'm off that kick (it's really unnecessary), I could go back to my HobbyWing Pentium 40A but I figure why bother... it's not THAT much of a weight difference and this bugger is tough as nails. Maybe I will at some point, who knows. Anyway, yep, Turnigy blue LiPo and Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium ESC and you can't go wrong. Just make sure your ESC has a current rating that exceeds the pull of your motor and prop combo by say ten amps, so you have a degree of overhead. Your ESC will thank you and so will your plane and your wallet, haha.

For understanding what motor, prop, and ESC are really all about, think of it like this. KV rating on a motor is basically RPM per volt. Push 1 volt at a 2200kv motor and it will spin at 2200 RPM, NO LOAD. Add a prop, and it changes everything, it loads the motor down. PROPELLER is what makes wattage happen. It turns the input power of the motor into useful thrust, and it can be too little to push the plane or so much that it burns the motor out right away depending on what prop you pick. Knowing what combo is right IS very complicated, but you can start with what you know from people here, which is that a 2200kv inrunner like my old purple or the Turnigy copper colored 28mm ones plus a 6x3 or 6x4 prop is VERY popular as an EZ* upgrade. I used to really like the 6x3 EMP prop and 2200kv motor back in the day, after I got over burning up 2700kv motors with that same prop or the 6x4 version (over 400 watts!).

You can do as I did and get a current meter or even better, an OSD (I feel they are a MUST HAVE for FPV) and just play with motors and props as part of your hobby experience, and/or you can use a simulator like Drive Calculator to help you understand how motor and prop work together in a practical sense. I use both methods of course, and thus I know not to necessarily take Drive Calculator's word at just everything. I get a lot of enjoyment from experimentation, so for me, playing with the parts is a huge part of why I do it at all. I've learned an awful lot from it. :-)

The speed controller, or ESC, is only there to channel the battery power to the motor and supply power to the other electronics of the plane, that's all it does in basic terms. Get a 40 amp Plush or Pentium ESC and you'll probably never get another, because if you run 3S (three cell lipo), that's 11.1 volts nominal, and a 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop will pull about 26-27 amps max... that puts you well under the max rating of the ESC and it will be happy for a very long time.

Rick NR417

PS: Video coming soon from the GoPro FPV maiden last tuesday. The file is really big (2GB) so the upload is taking a while. It's a good one, haha. Fun times that day.
raygun45 is offline Find More Posts by raygun45
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2008
197 Posts
My new paint job

I've finished my new look EZII, went for a simple one... and a mug shot for post #12

Cheers, Jay.
xpower180 is offline Find More Posts by xpower180