Joined Dec 2005
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
I can't attach pics- but I can make and post a movie--EZ paint in progress
only took me half a day to think of this

now everyone is in bed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPbrWNGxkRs
Can't wait to try and capture that on vid.
I hope you have INS in case it cracks my lenses

There will be no weinner dogs hurt during our flight unless they try and tangle with my Boston's.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:56 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,835 Posts
Is that Ronald Ray Gun ? If so you yanks need to stand to attention and whistle hail to the chief

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:18 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,754 Posts
Quote:
I can't attach pics- but I can make and post a movie--EZ paint in progress
only took me half a day to think of this
I like it...I like it a lot. I think the only thing I would change is that I would have used some bright colours [and yes, you do spell it like that]
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,219 Posts
Okay attachments back up- Now we need name suggestions for this colorful abomination...........

Name: IMG-20120304-00367.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 203.3 KB
Description: bright ugly paint job in progress- sunglasses a must per Eagle
scottdearinger is online now Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Ray, another option is to use a mount and move the motor up, I am using a motor mount from smallpartscnc which will let me swing an 8X4.5 prop on the easy, and am using a motor around 1400KV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun45 View Post
Scott - Thanks for the vid. I guess I don't need to worry about range until I suck it up sally and take the EZ up past 20 ft .

When I first started looking into FPV all I saw in the forums were EZ!EZ!EZ! so I bought one. Obviously I am going to master the stock build before moving onto the upgrades. Having said that, I know this has likely been asked a million times so if someone could straight out answer I would appreciate it:

What brushless motor should I go to if I am adding FPV gear? ESC? Lipo?
I guess I am having a tough time understanding the relationship between motor, what ESC it needed, what battery is needed.

Thanks all for the support.

Raygun
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:02 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Scott, I have to say I kind of like it, but no way I would put a sharks face on that thing. If you do, I would stay out of the water, sharks everywhere are going to be pissed off at you for misrepresenting them!

Quote:
Okay attachments back up- Now we need name suggestions for this colorful abomination...........

Attachment 4684747
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
The Technicolour Yawn (UK slang for barf )
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 4684747

Raybans are not enough. Where is my welding helmet.

Ok, now that it is mostly done how about "Parrot On Steroids" or Dayglow Parrot?

Should have used the purple paint so then I could have suggested "Fruit Loop de Loop".

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
Scott, I have to say I kind of like it, but no way I would put a sharks face on that thing. If you do, I would stay out of the water, sharks everywhere are going to be pissed off at you for misrepresenting them!
I believe the shark teeth were for eckace1's yellow bird the Urinator.

Vince
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:06 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 4684747
Lucy.

As in Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (the girl with kaleidoscope eyes)!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:13 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun45 View Post
Scott - Thanks for the vid. I guess I don't need to worry about range until I suck it up sally and take the EZ up past 20 ft .

When I first started looking into FPV all I saw in the forums were EZ!EZ!EZ! so I bought one. Obviously I am going to master the stock build before moving onto the upgrades. Having said that, I know this has likely been asked a million times so if someone could straight out answer I would appreciate it:

What brushless motor should I go to if I am adding FPV gear? ESC? Lipo?
I guess I am having a tough time understanding the relationship between motor, what ESC it needed, what battery is needed.

Thanks all for the support.

Hi Raygun!

Welcome to the EasyStar thread! You're making a very good choice in planes with the EZ - you'll love her and she will love you back. :-)

I like about 300 watts for my AngryStar FPV attack drone. I'm currently using an Exceed RC Rocket Series 2220-1500KV motor spinning an APC 8x4E. It pulls about 27 amps absolute peak on takeoff (I take off from asphalt or gravel, belly skid style) and quickly falls off to about 24 amps peak WOT. It gives me more than enough power, but I fly with a GoPro on the nose so it's nice that it's there. You should be aware that using this big a prop requires modifying the motor mount (mine is about an inch taller than stock) or the prop would hit the tail boom. I *think* you can get away with a 7" prop on the stock if you groove the boom a bit, and a 7x5E goes REALLY nicely with this motor.... or you could do the 1800KV version to push it harder for say a 7x4E, both of which I also have. I've been through a lot of motors and props looking for just the right one, which I think I have now with that 8x4 and 1500kv. :-)

Before I got into bigger props and lower rpm motors, I was using 2200kv - 2500kv motors and 6" props. My favorite of those days was the Turnigy 2350kv red and black outrunner and 6x4 EMP prop (Hobbyking TGS Sport). That's an OUTRUNNER motor, which means the motor housing spins as well, which also requires changes to the mount. My favorite inrunner (no spinning housing) was a purple colored 2200kv that I believe I got from Heads Up RC. I ran that with the 6x4 EMP props and really liked it, I only moved away from it and into outrunners because I was ever chasing the ultimate in efficiency, low noise, and thrust.

Again, I need to say this - I LOVE the big 8x4 prop and 1500kv motor. It moves, it climbs, and it's quiet and efficient. I can blast along at over 40mph and rip the pack down to nothing in 12 minutes or less, or float along at just 4 - 5 amps and still climb gently, depending on conditions. :-)

Almost forgot to answer about ESC and LiPo. The Turnigy cheapie blue LiPo packs are great, maybe not the toughest ever but cheap as homemade sin so there's the tradeoff. I use a 3S 3000mAH Turnigy blue in my EZ, it *just* fits and it provides about the most capacity you're ever going to fit in there reasonably. You can also try to cram two of the 3S 2200mAH packs in there in parallel but that's a little more insane than even I will do. It makes the nose very heavy and then you have to bias with moving every silly thing backward and adding tail weight. As for ESC's, I really really like the Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium ESC's, they're simply great. I go with a 60A, actually it's an EMAX but I am pretty sure it's the same underlying device as the Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium 60A. It's a throwback to the days where I was experimenting with a LOT more power (upward of 500 watts) and needed the high current handling. Now that I'm off that kick (it's really unnecessary), I could go back to my HobbyWing Pentium 40A but I figure why bother... it's not THAT much of a weight difference and this bugger is tough as nails. Maybe I will at some point, who knows. Anyway, yep, Turnigy blue LiPo and Turnigy Plush/HobbyWing Pentium ESC and you can't go wrong. Just make sure your ESC has a current rating that exceeds the pull of your motor and prop combo by say ten amps, so you have a degree of overhead. Your ESC will thank you and so will your plane and your wallet, haha.

For understanding what motor, prop, and ESC are really all about, think of it like this. KV rating on a motor is basically RPM per volt. Push 1 volt at a 2200kv motor and it will spin at 2200 RPM, NO LOAD. Add a prop, and it changes everything, it loads the motor down. PROPELLER is what makes wattage happen. It turns the input power of the motor into useful thrust, and it can be too little to push the plane or so much that it burns the motor out right away depending on what prop you pick. Knowing what combo is right IS very complicated, but you can start with what you know from people here, which is that a 2200kv inrunner like my old purple or the Turnigy copper colored 28mm ones plus a 6x3 or 6x4 prop is VERY popular as an EZ* upgrade. I used to really like the 6x3 EMP prop and 2200kv motor back in the day, after I got over burning up 2700kv motors with that same prop or the 6x4 version (over 400 watts!).

You can do as I did and get a current meter or even better, an OSD (I feel they are a MUST HAVE for FPV) and just play with motors and props as part of your hobby experience, and/or you can use a simulator like Drive Calculator to help you understand how motor and prop work together in a practical sense. I use both methods of course, and thus I know not to necessarily take Drive Calculator's word at just everything. I get a lot of enjoyment from experimentation, so for me, playing with the parts is a huge part of why I do it at all. I've learned an awful lot from it. :-)

The speed controller, or ESC, is only there to channel the battery power to the motor and supply power to the other electronics of the plane, that's all it does in basic terms. Get a 40 amp Plush or Pentium ESC and you'll probably never get another, because if you run 3S (three cell lipo), that's 11.1 volts nominal, and a 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop will pull about 26-27 amps max... that puts you well under the max rating of the ESC and it will be happy for a very long time.

Rick NR417

PS: Video coming soon from the GoPro FPV maiden last tuesday. The file is really big (2GB) so the upload is taking a while. It's a good one, haha. Fun times that day.
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Mar 05, 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Lucy.

As in Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (the girl with kaleidoscope eyes)!

Ted
I like "kaleidoscope EZ" lets hear some more- wait- maybe the "hallucinator" Wow that has a ring to it- lol
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
I like "kaleidoscope EZ" lets hear some more- wait- maybe the "hallucinator" Wow that has a ring to it- lol
Now that would be a video. The Hallucinator runs into the Urinator. Colors and Piss everywhere. News at 11.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Now that would be a video. The Hallucinator runs into the Urinator. Colors and Piss everywhere. News at 11.
hahah too funny yup -they sound good together
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Sleazy Star?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE