HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Can I answer and give my opinion of that question?
The Bixler is made from EPO which some say is more brittle than the EZ*s ELPOR.
The surface of the Bix is smooth without the molding pimples of the EZ*.
In my opinion the Bix is more floaty than the EZ*. that is why I have put flaps on it.
If you were to get one then get the basic kit if you can,as the hardware is crap.
I have had to replace all of it, as if you were to visit the Bix threads.
The wing rod is too weak and many have had it fail in flight.
Basicly the Bixler is a Sky surfer with Hobby Kings stickers on it.
It has more room in the body for FPV kit if needed.
I believe you've shared your impressions of it with me before but I am always glad to hear over again or more bits you might have overlooked before.

My EZ has been a very good girl but she's got a lot of accumulated damage. Eventually I'm going to want to replace her. I definitely like the EZ I as she is, so the only reason I'd go with something like a Bix or SS is to reduce entry cost a bit for starting over. That may be a nonissue if I have to replace a lot of components.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
Rick, good to see you back, interesting on the gopro output, it sounds consistant with some of the other stuff I have been reading. I decided to carve out a fixed mount for the go pro in front of the canopy and will use a board camera as the FPV camera in the pod section.

If all goes well I am thinking I might be able to get this thing in the air Sunday for a maiden flight, if its not an epic fail I will even post some pics of the whole thing. :-)
Hi Scott, thank you. :-)

I definitely liked the view from my KPC-DNR700 better, but before I get too far ahead of myself I have to rule out some issues with the VRX side of things that may have contributed to the lack of video clarity in the goggles. If it turns out that indeed it is the GoPro giving me problems, then I will very likely rig up a system so that I can use the GoPro as just a recorder and the KT&C cam as my FPV cam. Besides that, who wants to give up camera pan, and that insanely good low light performance that I get from the KT&C? I also like the full screen format in the goggles better, and the better match to the OSD readout as well. I find myself actually hoping that it will turn out that the GoPro is in fact the sole source of disappointment for all those reasons and others.

I might as well just start building the tandem layout, now that I really think about it, lol.

Rick NR417
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,754 Posts
Night I think you have a defective Gopro.
If I were you I would send it to me and I'll check it out for ya.
No charge just a friend trying to help out
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:59 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Welcome back, Rick, and not a moment too soon, Gene was spreading rumors that you were in some sort of holding cell at the local Game & Parks service...

Yes, the original GoPro Hero has a reputation for poor performance in darker conditions (I have one). It's especially noticeable in transitioning from a light scene to a shadowed scene. I've heard that the newer version (Hero 2) is better.

(eckace - was that a Nebraska sweatshirt you were wearing in your Radian video? I thought they were banned in Hawkeye-land? )
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Night I think you have a defective Gopro.
If I were you I would send it to me and I'll check it out for ya.
No charge just a friend trying to help out
Hahahaha! Where's my Facebook style "Like" when I need it? X-D

Rick NR417
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Hahahaha! Where's my Facebook style "Like" when I need it? X-D

Rick NR417
he was serious- he would check it out for you for a couple months to make sure all is well

Glad to see you back on- looking forward to your gopro video..
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Welcome back, Rick, and not a moment too soon, Gene was spreading rumors that you were in some sort of holding cell at the local Game & Parks service...

Yes, the original GoPro Hero has a reputation for poor performance in darker conditions (I have one). It's especially noticeable in transitioning from a light scene to a shadowed scene. I've heard that the newer version (Hero 2) is better.
Yeah it definitely shows. In the maiden run, skies were scattered cloud cover with brilliantly clear air between large cumulus. The landscape below thus had huge patches of shadow, and when I'd fly into one, the whole scene would become very gloomy looking even though to my eyes the ambient light that day was very glaringly bright. By contrast, the sunny patches look GREAT on the GoPro... really nice. None of it looks bad, exactly, it's just that the difference between daytime sunny and daytime shaded was far too dramatic on video. Makes it look like I shot the shaded parts on toward evening, lol.

Oh and btw... night performance on the GoPro - basically there isn't any. You have to have really bright street lighting to see anything with this camera. That's one crippling blow to me with the whole FPV thing because my proper FPV camera (the KPC-DNR700) can easily handle typical suburban lighting conditions. I have NO problem flying in the dark with that thing so long as I have a little city or moon light to help it along. The GoPro is actually WORSE than the 808HD #11 for low light. Surprising, but true!

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Mar 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Eckace1's plane is now painted and out of of the heat booth- here she is- canary yellow and Blue- with a hot pink rudder

My plane arrives and goes to paint booth tomorrow. I have to try and best his yellow bird

Name: Lee-20120229-00353 - Copy.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 202.0 KB
Description:
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Yeah it definitely shows. In the maiden run, skies were scattered cloud cover with brilliantly clear air between large cumulus. The landscape below thus had huge patches of shadow, and when I'd fly into one, the whole scene would become very gloomy looking even though to my eyes the ambient light that day was very glaringly bright. By contrast, the sunny patches look GREAT on the GoPro... really nice. None of it looks bad, exactly, it's just that the difference between daytime sunny and daytime shaded was far too dramatic on video. Makes it look like I shot the shaded parts on toward evening, lol.

Oh and btw... night performance on the GoPro - basically there isn't any. You have to have really bright street lighting to see anything with this camera. That's one crippling blow to me with the whole FPV thing because my proper FPV camera (the KPC-DNR700) can easily handle typical suburban lighting conditions. I have NO problem flying in the dark with that thing so long as I have a little city or moon light to help it along. The GoPro is actually WORSE than the 808HD #11 for low light. Surprising, but true!

Rick NR417

Rick NR
Rick

Someone was using a miniature security camera with IR capabilities to fly FPV. It wasn't perfect but you could see enough not to hit a pole. He did come close to some high voltage overhead power lines though.

With the way IR technology is booming I am sure there will be a number of cameras that will do a good job for night flying.

I am waiting on a miniature one to be developed by a company called FLIR. They make very good IR cameras for military, police and commercial applications. They are just big and expensive.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger View Post
Eckace1's plane is now painted and out of of the heat booth- here she is- canary yellow and Blue- with a hot pink rudder

My plane arrives and goes to paint booth tomorrow. I have to try and best his yellow bird

Attachment 4673970
Nice and bright colors. Should be easy to see.

Scott. Just don't pick a pink fuse or wings for your color scheme. Eckace1 keeps ragging on you about that being your favorite color.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post

Scott. Just don't pick a pink fuse or wings for your color scheme. Eckace1 keeps ragging on you about that being your favorite color.
So of course there will be lots of hot pink and flourescent Green-with a hint of purple---- I am all over it..

I think I will call his plane -pee free
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post

To late man as he is the flamboyant type Plus he Is sponsored by A bar called Blazing Saddles.
Need I say more.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
To late man as he is the flamboyant type Plus he Is sponsored by A bar called Blazing Saddles.
Need I say more.
i am renaming his plane- tweety bird, old yeller, yeller feather- the flying banana?

help me out people and name the yellow EZ-
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:20 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Eckace1's plane is now painted and out of of the heat booth- here she is- canary yellow and Blue- with a hot pink rudder]
Looks like a good finish - what paint have you used, and what techniques (eg for surface prep)??? Be interested to hear how well it stands up to the normal rough & tumble of life (the DupliColor on my EZ drops off if you sneeze at it!).
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:48 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Big Bird

Quote:
i am renaming his plane- tweety bird, old yeller, yeller feather- the flying banana?

help me out people and name the yellow EZ-
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ