HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocitelli View Post
Hi guys, I recently purchased my first EasyStar for me and my son. I've been flying a Parkzone P-51 and chose my "Easy" to improve my own skills and get my son into flying with me!

I'm at the point where I'd like to add the Multiplex Power Pack upgrade to the brushless motor, prop, and upgraded esc. My goal is to add more power and make it more capable flying into the wind, but not so much as to intimidate my 8 yr. old.

I purchased this as a ready-to-fly so everything was put together from the start. I don't have a lot of experience building planes, so I'm looking for some advice on installing the upgraded power pack.

Is there a preferred way to separate the foam around the motor to take out the old and put in the new? This is a drop-in replacement size for the stock motor so it doesn't sound like much modification is needed to make it fit. I'm guessing just an exacto knife to the glue seems to separate it, but wondering if there's a best practice here.

Also, I've been repairing some minor cracks as we go with standard CA which seems to stick some days and not so much other days. What glue do you recommend to use on the plane to reattach with seam after the new motor and overall fixes?

Any guidance is much appreciated! Here's a picture of my "Easy".
Hi Pocitelli and son. Welcome to the madhouse.
I think you'll find most of what you need to know here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post3547848
The EZ* threads are so numerous that it has become very hard to find some basic info but this is the place I started.
BTW, Cyano needs a little moisture to help it cure - just breathing on it can help.
Mike
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Last edited by mixer421; Feb 27, 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: More info
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi, I'm an RC Plane addict
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
That's perfect Mixer - thanks for the thread link.
Pocitelli is offline Find More Posts by Pocitelli
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
This is what got me back into R/C about 4-5 years ago! I literally WORE THE MOTORS OUT in my livingroom.

... hence the name "Chairwolf?" 'Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t41mj...ayer_embedded#!
Where wwere you when I thought it would be cool to try heli's and bought a couple of walkera cb100's dozens of parts later they now sit on top of my desk.
I still have them with 2 radios and still plenty of parts I should put them in the for sale section.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:37 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,084 Posts
Look what Ashton Flyer has done.
"I've just ordered my first Bixler - just don't tell anyone on the EZ* thread

Well, it was a UK purchase, so no waiting months for delivery and a decent price (kit). It'll give me something to practice my nosedives on whilst my EZII glue is drying"
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Look what Ashton Flyer has done.
"I've just ordered my first Bixler - just don't tell anyone on the EZ* thread

Well, it was a UK purchase, so no waiting months for delivery and a decent price (kit). It'll give me something to practice my nosedives on whilst my EZII glue is drying"
Wow. I see that keeping secrets between threads is near impossible with the number of people that cruse multiple ones.

I guess I better be careful of what I say about someone on another thread.

Oh. Poppa. Your never to old to play with toys. They just cost more as we get older.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Argghh.. my secret's out!

I have a good excuse.. it was all alone in the shop.. it needed company and love..

I took it home to meet 2 cats and a dog

Already had to hide it from the wife..
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
Interesting idea for sure. I wonder if any of the FPV guys have done something like that. Lose radio contact and fail safe to motor off and chute deployed.
50 years ago watching some tanks shoot at aerial drones, the drones (usually undamaged by gunfire) would be recovered by popping a chute.
Launched with a nice noisy rocket catapault.
The balance needs to be determined as to which is more likely to occur.. loss of sight/signal to the airplane and the consequent deployment of the chute, considering what the installation adds to the system, and how often that thing might be needed.
In my case, I've never had a reason for this type of thing in over 50 years of r/c flying.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Argghh.. my secret's out!

I have a good excuse.. it was all alone in the shop.. it needed company and love..

I took it home to meet 2 cats and a dog

Already had to hide it from the wife..
That's ok Ashton... I'm buying a 1:10 Traxxas Stampede for FPV driving in just a couple of days. My EZ* and cat don't know yet... I don't want em to feel outclassed. ;-)

I'm actually going to be very interested to hear what you think of the Bix vs. the EZ.

Rick NR417

PS: Yep, I'm still alive!
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Finally did the GoPro maiden on the EZ* today... My hip's been hurting a lot from arthritis and I was all set to just let yet another week go by me, but I went through the motions of prepping the plane and gear anyway. Noon came around and the winds still didn't seem terrible so I marched my plane, gear, and a** out to the car and headed off to the usual place.

Glad I did it! Right off the bat, I had no audio in the FPV headset but I said screw it and flew anyway. The GoPro was no problem at all - she flew great with it strapped to the topside of the canopy area. I wasn't impressed with the FPV view I got through it - it seemed dark and harder to fly by as well as harder to read the OSD stuff. This became VERY apparent as I managed to ignore all the visual warnings (plus I had no audio for the low LiPo alarm), and I actually ran the battery down to 3V per cell (yeah I know, I'm horrified too!) and did a semi gentle ditched landing out in the field. She'd run out of juice before she should have, which was partly to blame for the screwup (I was watching the mAH but not so much the voltage)... not sure why that happened.

Funniest part was that cars and trucks kept randomly drifting by my parking spot in the cul de sac, and so I'd peek over my goggles at them as they went by. One, a small white car, did that and then parked a bit down the road from me. I was like, "Oh hell yeah" and used his car as a scenery addon for flybys. When the "crash" happened, he pulled up to me as I was coming out of the field with the plane in hand, and asked me some questions about the plane and what I was doing. Right away I learned two things about public perception of RC aircraft:

1) People are high on the word, "drone". He asked me if it was a drone, like first thing. I didn't want to confuse him so I said yes.

2) People somehow have the impression that drone = autonomous flying machine. He actually ASKED me if it was "autonomous or controlled", which surprised me. I told him it was definitely controlled, and I resisted looking at him with a "What the ****... are you serious???" look, haha.He was a nice enough guy though, so I cut him a little slack, and plus I think he was taken aback by how far I was flying it from my car. I told him about the DragonLink and what it is capable of, and how I use the video transmitter and video goggles to see from the plane. He was very impressed... I think he'd like to do it too if he hadn't had that, "scared to try" look in his eyes. I told him to look me up on YouTube and we parted with him saying, "Pretty cool, man, good luck!". I guess he figured I needed it based on how I was complaining about 600+ ft walks through rattlesnake infested brush.

Anyway... thankfully no damage to the plane... and it was a good run over all. I ran about 12 amps average to increase the fun factor and decrease the amount of video footage, and I found it quite exciting even if the wind was a lot wilder than I had hoped. I got some trully excellent quality footage out of the GoPro, and got some neat stuff on there like the passes over and beside the guy's car, the usual tree buzzing stuff, some lake footage, and a 43mph pass right over my own car's roof, all of probably 2 feet over the antennas.

So, good fun. I'm a little concerned about the health of the 3S pack after the beating it took, but it's under test right now to see how bad off it is. Hopefully it won't have been hurt too severely - the cost of those things adds up!

Video editing is afoot as we speak, but I probably won't have one up on YouTube for a few days yet. Back to work tomorrow, which takes up a ton of my time.

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
The most brilliant video ever...

Scottdearinger: That was one of the best videos ever! Classic!

My top 3 moments:

3. Seeing the Radians front view camera angles in flight. They look like they have full Fu Manchu Mustaches! There's a chinese music theme running through my mind as I watched those shots. (see picture attached)

2. Landing: well done - loved the multiple camera angles. Great shot of "Cripple" landing as you brought yours in and very nice of you to pick up his plane as he is obviously bending/squatting inhibited. I tell guys I fly with that don't bend so well anymore that this is a mutually beneficial relationship; they can impart all their flying knowledge to me and I can bend over and pick up their planes. We both get what we want out of that relationship What sort of camera setup are you using?

1. This is by far the most classic part of the video. Right towards the end at the 5:49 mark you get the side-wing video shot of your landing and you see the writing on your fuselage. I practically fell out of my chair that is so classic. Brilliant too! You may want to consider micro-chipping these things like they do to dogs.

Thanks for the video, simply wonderful.

Pocitelli Fantastico IV
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocitelli View Post
Scottdearinger: That was one of the best videos ever! Classic!

1. This is by far the most classic part of the video. Right towards the end at the 5:49 mark you get the side-wing video shot of your landing and you see the writing on your fuselage. I practically fell out of my chair that is so classic. Brilliant too! You may want to consider micro-chipping these things like they do to dogs.

Thanks for the video, simply wonderful.

Pocitelli Fantastico IV
Our Scott? You mean Scott D?
The guy who's milking a ingrown toenail Scott?
Oh, I get it now....you're his wife using a fake name...
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
That's ok Ashton... I'm buying a 1:10 Traxxas Stampede for FPV driving in just a couple of days. My EZ* and cat don't know yet... I don't want em to feel outclassed. ;-)

I'm actually going to be very interested to hear what you think of the Bix vs. the EZ.

Rick NR417

PS: Yep, I'm still alive!
Get the Traxxas Slash. I had the Stampede and the COG is just to high. It's very unstable. My first mod was to lower it, would have been better off with the Slash or Rustler. I don't know where you're driving it but if it's unstable on flat ground, then hills and bumps will be worse. Unless you drive it at 3-5 mph. I like to go 40-60.

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
25 Posts
No, he just paid me off to make favorable comments to his clever flying over Iowa...
You guys are good.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Our Scott? You mean Scott D?
The guy who's milking a ingrown toenail Scott?
Oh, I get it now....you're his wife using a fake name...
Remember I broke his little toe.

He is milking it all right as I have to haul his lard and fetch his planes.
We did purchase new planes and will be back in the air soon Mine Viking color. Slacker Scott hot pink and hot green the things I have to put up with.

New Vid soon but I have to help Mr crippled with his build. Gene any Ideas for fixing Scotts plane
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Wow. I see that keeping secrets between threads is near impossible with the number of people that cruse multiple ones.

I guess I better be careful of what I say about someone on another thread.

Oh. Poppa. Your never to old to play with toys. They just cost more as we get older.
Ya and his snide remarks about having the 2 it just has to stop.
The real contributors here in the Ez thread say the EZ2 will be the improved 2 for us Yanks who know how to fly. Gene and chair plus night told me.
Last edited by eckace1; Feb 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a darn