SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:08 AM
Deutschland, RP, Hillscheid
Joined Nov 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
As you don't use PH & RTH there is no need to update but if you want everything to work perfectly then updating to the latest release is the way to go
And if you have an older Board than it doesn't work...
Elo WW is online now Find More Posts by Elo WW
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:04 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo WW View Post
And if you have an older Board than it doesn't work...
What doesn't work? Latest FW works fine on my board, purchased April 2012.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:12 AM
Deutschland, RP, Hillscheid
Joined Nov 2010
53 Posts
With V1.212 my Quad flys fine, Carefree isworking perfectly.
With the newest version in Autostab mode it also flys fine, but when I switch to carefree the quad wants to flip, no flying possible. Calibrations done after each firmwareupload.
Elo WW is online now Find More Posts by Elo WW
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
You ended up finding that one? Nice!

You could probably mention that it happened with an old firmware version, with the original GPS Rx...

-Max
Yes true, at the time it was the latest firmware. But reading this forum I still see that the RTH doesn't work all the time. It has been like this since day one, so I would suggest no one risk it, unless your want your quad trying to fly back to China like mine did.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:20 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Didn't someone just post about how well CF works for them with latest FW? Can't say personally though, never used CF. But it helps to be more specific than just "it doesn't work," thanks.

-Max
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:57 AM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
What would normally worked CF card raise rabbits at 7 cm from the power wires. And lengthen the wires on bipper.
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:08 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
Yes true, at the time it was the latest firmware. But reading this forum I still see that the RTH doesn't work all the time. It has been like this since day one, so I would suggest no one risk it, unless your want your quad trying to fly back to China like mine did.
In the latest firmware RTH works very well for me except for maybe once out of every 5 to 10 uses & on that one time it "doesn't work" it doesn't try to escape back to China, it circles randomly but still returns to 'ruffly' the right point, maybe 15-20meters from 'H' point.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:09 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo WW View Post
With V1.212 my Quad flys fine, Carefree isworking perfectly.
With the newest version in Autostab mode it also flys fine, but when I switch to carefree the quad wants to flip, no flying possible. Calibrations done after each firmwareupload.
Hmm, CF works great for me in both 1.212 and 1.230. Sorry to hear that it's not for you in latest F/W. Probably dumb questions but are you using CF with auto stability always enabled? Are there no magnets nearby, or wires laying across the magnetometer. Is magnetic declination entered? Does the mag in GUI show 1 at North and 180 at South? With it acting up on 1.230, try going right back to 1.212 to verify it starts working fine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamron View Post
I use mine for FPV. I don't think I could ever trust any FC doing PH or RTH with the goggles on.
RTH is useful for me via FPV because I prefer it over an OSD cluttering up the screen with waypoint arrow and other stats. I can fly around without concern for directions and if I get lost, temporarily engage RTH to see which way the copter starts traveling. Then I know the way back home to fly myself. Only use an E-OSD to monitor lipo voltage and RSSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
When my RTH & PH act up it's always for the duration of a flight. When it works, it works great for the entire flight. So far only had the issue occur after a 2nd or 3rd flight of the day and never on the 1st, so I'm wondering if it's some value that's temporally stuck in either the Rabbit or GPS buffer that remains when swapping out lipos. I'm now trying waiting a couple minutes between swapping lipos and ensuring Rabbit shows at least 4 LEDs (8 sats?) before taking off. So far so good but haven't had enough flights to know if it's helping. If I still see the problem occur, I'm going to try disconnecting the GPS' battery backup so it does a cold start every time. If that solves it, I'll recommend Rabbit devs try resetting all GPS params at boot up (that is if they're still listening to us).

I'm not into wayoint or follow me features, so with a reliable RTH and PH working eveytime, this board will have delivered all I want from it. For that reason, I feel it's so very close to living up to it's potential.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:17 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
When my RTH & PH act up it's always for the duration of a flight.
What happens when it acts up? Specifically.

-Max
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:28 AM
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jan 2009
179 Posts
Quote:
As you don't use PH & RTH there is no need to update but if you want everything to work perfectly then updating to the latest release is the way to go
Thanks nebstress, I will eventually
tamron is offline Find More Posts by tamron
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:47 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
785 Posts
I went out today and did about 7 flights,the rabbit was on best behaviour,I took the battery out of the rc timer's V2 GPS,it took about 2 minutes to go into the breathing state then about 2-3 mins to get 3-5 sats showing,your's,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
I went out today and did about 7 flights,the rabbit was on best behaviour,I took the battery out of the rc timer's V2 GPS,it took about 2 minutes to go into the breathing state then about 2-3 mins to get 3-5 sats showing,your's,Marty.
Why would you take the battery off the GPS module
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:09 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
In the latest firmware RTH works very well for me except for maybe once out of every 5 to 10 uses & on that one time it "doesn't work" it doesn't try to escape back to China, it circles randomly but still returns to 'ruffly' the right point, maybe 15-20meters from 'H' point.
Being that it doesn't work ever time is not good enough. There is no reason really why it should not work every time other then poor code somewhere in the firmware.

That said. I won't risk it, I don't care how well the latest firmware is. Until someone here reports that used RTH twenty times I won't be convinced it works correctly.

I have since moved on to better FC's now anyway..
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:11 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
What happens when it acts up? Specifically.

-Max
Hey Max,

When it happens for me, PH & RTH start acting like their gain has been cranked up to 100 and begin swerving around and overshooting. Most of the time my Rabbit is well behaved. Last 3 flights were fine for example. Next time I may try a quick battery swap to see if I can get it to happen on cue. Then power off and wait several minutes to see if it goes away.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Feb 03, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:01 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Why would you take the battery off the GPS module
So every time the GPS has a clean flight with no old memory in it,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON