HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Still fighting vibration

I've tried balancing motors and props, following all advice and still cannot get the HEALTH below 40.

What is the best way to isolate the rabbit controller from airframe vibration?
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
31 Posts
Hi the best way is some foam with a thikness of 1 cm !
But i have some troubles with the 1.230 i still selected GPS but i dont get coords "! i try to reset and reflash but nothing helps !some solutions?
ViperAT is offline Find More Posts by ViperAT
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Balance the motor+prop together! while set half throttle,
spinning one motor with prop. See the vibration. Then stop,
and change the prop orientation 90 degree. See the vibration again.
Found the best position with less vibration. Do it for all motors.
vili is offline Find More Posts by vili
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post
Balance the motor+prop together! while set half throttle,
spinning one motor with prop. See the vibration. Then stop,
and change the prop orientation 90 degree. See the vibration again.
Found the best position with less vibration. Do it for all motors.
Alright, great idea will try it. The Hexa is flying better than it was originally, but it is still shaking and I guess that's to be expected with six motors. I do have some 3/8 inch double side sticky foam to try between board and airframe... That might help to isolate the board a little bit.
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:57 PM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Rabbit does not care about the vibration when flying without the video can not be tormented. You did re-flash esc?
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:44 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot View Post
I've tried balancing motors and props, following all advice and still cannot get the HEALTH below 40.
A while back on this thread there was someone else with a "Flamewheel" style frame who had issues with the Rabbit being stable. I suggested that those frames were known for amplifying vibrations, but got quickly got jumped on by 3 people insisting those frames were great. Later on that person ended up replacing the frame, and his Rabbit flew steadily after that. But I'm definitely not going to make that mistake again...

40 is a lot better though. Besides isolating the board, maybe you can look into some other techniques like dampening the arms or center plate (simply tying the ends of the arms tightly together with tape/string can help sometimes, or, even better, putting some kind of spring between them, like a bent carbon/fiberglass rod).

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:18 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
A while back on this thread there was someone else with a "Flamewheel" style frame who had issues with the Rabbit being stable. I suggested that those frames were known for amplifying vibrations, but got quickly got jumped on by 3 people insisting those frames were great. Later on that person ended up replacing the frame, and his Rabbit flew steadily after that. But I'm definitely not going to make that mistake again...

40 is a lot better though. Besides isolating the board, maybe you can look into some other techniques like dampening the arms or center plate (simply tying the ends of the arms tightly together with tape/string can help sometimes, or, even better, putting some kind of spring between them, like a bent carbon/fiberglass rod).

-Max
I'm afraid I might have been one of those that "jumped" on you back then but simply because I have flown DJI F330, F450 & am still flying a Disco & all with none of the vibration issues you mention. I have been informed though that the cheaper Clone versions can have a problem as well as the fact that the arms on the clones break very easily compared to genuine DJI arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua6jhm View Post
Rabbit does not care about the vibration when flying without the video can not be tormented. You did re-flash esc?

Good vibration dampening will always help with 'any' Flight Controller, some FC's deal with Vibration better than others but NONE are immune (or "does not care about the vibration").
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:49 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
I'm afraid I might have been one of those that "jumped" on you back then but simply because I have flown DJI F330, F450 & am still flying a Disco & all with none of the vibration issues you mention. I have been informed though that the cheaper Clone versions can have a problem as well as the fact that the arms on the clones break very easily compared to genuine DJI arms.
No worries mate! I was probably over-generalizing anyway. Many things can influence vibrations... I changed out motors on one frame I had and it went from perfectly stable to un-flyable due to vibration issues (the new motors were bigger). Different materials or lengths of standoffs for the flight controller mount can make a big difference... and so on.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
hi all, newbie here. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the link after browsing through many pages on this thread....

Can someone be kind enough to post the link of the latest software for the rabbit flight controller?

I'm using it on a quad bumblebee S kit, the motors spin immediately when I connect the battery. I'm thinking maybe I need to setup/configure rabbit first?

Thanks in advance
rocketbooster is offline Find More Posts by rocketbooster
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:21 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbooster View Post
hi all, newbie here. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find the link after browsing through many pages on this thread....

Can someone be kind enough to post the link of the latest software for the rabbit flight controller?

I'm using it on a quad bumblebee S kit, the motors spin immediately when I connect the battery. I'm thinking maybe I need to setup/configure rabbit first?

Thanks in advance
Latest firmware HERE.

Yes it sounds like you need to setup the Rabbit, Have you also made sure all the physical connections are correct?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
Latest firmware HERE.

Yes it sounds like you need to setup the Rabbit, Have you also made sure all the physical connections are correct?
Thanks nebstress.

Yes, connections are ok.

I've installed usb driver and was able to register the ocx, FC has been detected by PC when I plugged it in the PC. However, when clicking lfhm_update_Tools.exe, nothing shows up. Is there something I did wrong?

I've already disabled my PCs firewall but result is still the same.

I can't seem to get past this problem tsk tsk tsk, hoping for your help again.

thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbooster View Post
Thanks nebstress.

Yes, connections are ok.

I've installed usb driver and was able to register the ocx, FC has been detected by PC when I plugged it in the PC. However, when clicking lfhm_update_Tools.exe, nothing shows up. Is there something I did wrong?

I've already disabled my PCs firewall but result is still the same.

I can't seem to get past this problem tsk tsk tsk, hoping for your help again.

thanks.
So you have installed the Driver & run the "Setup(##bit)" file for your PC but when you double click "Lfhm_Update_Tools(V1.230)" nothing is happening?
Is your PC a 64bit?
When you say you managed to register the OCX do you mean manually or just by running the 'Setup' file?
Some 64bit PC's seem to have this issue & it can be resolved by registering the OCX manually.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
nebstress, yes my pc is 64 bit. You are right, i thought it was successfully registered, but it wasn't. I did it manually and app now runs thanks for your help. Below is how I did it...

put your ocx control to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and try to re-register it in that location with the 32 bit regsvr32 and then I run as administrator the command below:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMM32.ocx

I'm now working on my 2nd problem which are the motors, I'll post more questions since it still run automatically when I plug in the bat...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
What are your regulators? What frequency are putting in the settings? You have set the settings on the quad hexa in the program?
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua6jhm View Post
What are your regulators? What frequency are putting in the settings? You have set the settings on the quad hexa in the program?
I'm basically using a bumblebee quad S kit with a rabbit flight controller. Some people say ESC that came with the kit is a bit different than the usual ESCs, something to do with being Ultra PWM. I'm reading about it but I hope someone can point me to a shorter route, I've been researching for the solution for several days now...